1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warranty on TV??

Discussion in 'TVs' started by rakster, Jan 3, 2004.

1. rakster

rakster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

After numerous headaches....I have managed to decide on the 32" inch TV that I going to get. I am not going to mention which model here as i may be persuaded to change my mind again (its a sony by the way)

Now my question is...Is it worth paying a little extra and getting the 5 year warranty from JL. Just wanted to know what you guys think!!!! It's my first proper TV so to speak...

Many thanks

2. Kula

Kula
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would go for the warranty m8. I am not an advocate of warranties in general. I would not buy a warrany for a toaster or something of that value but for something thats going to cost you from £500 to anything above a grand - go for it.

Just look at how many problems people have had with large screen crt's.

Yes there is the argument that something like a big TV should last well over a year or two without getting a fault - and if it does get a fault this is within a "reaosonable timescale" for a product not to go wrong....wibbiling a bit here (had a few beers) and the manufacturer "should" reair/replace but without the warranty you could end up with a whole load of hastle. Just think of the warranty as insurance. :)

Don't know if anyone agrees?

But the first electrial warranty I bought was for a large screen tv.

3. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you refer to "JL" do you mean John Lewis?

If you do, then a five year extended warranty is free when you buy a tv from them.

If you look around this forum you'll also find advice on getting John Lewis to price match. You might find that you can buy this tv from John Lewis, get the free extended warranty, but only have to pay the same amount as you would have at a much cheaper retailers.