1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warranty issue with sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by BDCSTENG GARETH, Aug 3, 2005.

1. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What is the law regarding warranty and warranty stickers...

A few years ago, I remember having this discussion in the pub with other engineering chaps like myself.

Do companies have to honour their warranty even if the sticker has been voided? I remember someone stating that they would have to prove that any "work" on the product would have to be proven to cause the fault in order not to honour the 1 year warranty...

Any experiences?

Gareth.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Is there nothing in the small print of the warranty that states that the sticker must remain in tact?

I guess that it would be very difficult one way or the other to prove that a fault was caused by someone opening the case.

John

3. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    More to the point, how are our statutory rights affected by this?

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Thing is though if you change the internal hardware of the box by, for example, fitting a larger HD, why should Sky honour the warranty?

If I fit a bigger engine in a car, should the garage I bought it from still fix it under warranty?

John

5. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    If anything unrelated to the engine goes wrong, yes. Most decent garages take a commonsense approach on things like this :)

6. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I'm not allowed to change anything on my current car without invalidating the manufacturers warranty (I've asked).

Thing with a Sky box is that everything is there when you take the lid off and if you were attempting to change the hard disk, it would be very easy to damage something else.

I guess that Sky may well honour the warranty as it's prbably not worth the hassle of trying to prove that any change to the hard drive has damaged another part of the equipment. Knowing Sky however, I'm not sure I want to be the one to try the theory out :rolleyes:

John

7. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    This is my point...

If I change the HDD, and a tuner dies... I can guarentee it will not be due to my work (do this stuff for a living), then I wonder what statutory rights I still have?

Gareth.

8. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Whilst you may be able to gaurantee that it'll not be due to your work, I can't image that your profession would make any difference to whether Sky would honour the warranty or not.

Out of interest, I've just had a look at the back on my v2 Pace box which was supplied as new from Sky and there is no warranty sticker on it at all so could you not just remove the sticker and claim it was never there.

If the box did go wrong, all you'd need to do would be put the original drive back in prior to an engineer coming out.

John

9. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I cant find mine either... but havn't looked underneath the box... it just got thrown in and used!

Im not suggesting that I play the "im a profesional" card, but Im trying to get to the bottom of the law regarding when you cross the line and blow away your legel right, not the manaufacturer's blurb...

10. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I dont know about the the statutory rights aspect but when I had an Amiga 500+ it had a warrenty sticker covering one of the screw holes. When a fault developed and their engineer came out they initially refused to repair it as the sticker had a hole in it.

I argued the case saying the sticker must have been damaged by being placed on something or in transit etc - the outcome was that he phoned his manager who said to open up the case and if there was no signs of tinkering inside the case which could have caused the fault then to repair it under warrenty, if they could see that I had tried to modify the thing and this could have caused the fault then to charge for the callout/repairs.