Warranty headscratcher

J

JimmyBGood

Just about to splash out on a new Pioneer 436 and wondering what's best to do about the measly one-year manufacturer's warranty...

A guy at John Lewis told me a couple of years back that if a plasma is going to develop problems it's most likely to do so in the first few months - which is why they are happy to give five-year guarantees! Is this true? What's your experience?

And a couple of dealers have tried to reassure me that Pioneers are pretty reliable - although if Pioneer themselves aren't confident enough to offer more than one year that doesn't exactly inspire confidence :(

Would you shell out hundreds more for a third-party extended warranty (which doesn't even include screen-burn)??

JimmyBGood said:
what's best to do about the measly one-year manufacturer's warranty...

Cheers guys!

I had the same problem as does everyone else on here but lets put
it this way JL is the best 5 year warranty you will get in this country

And boy it makes you sleep good at night with a smile

Just look at the trouble a lot have had with their TV's when they try
and take them back because something is wrong its all OK if nothing
goes wrong..mostly your Internet boys and some high street shops

Terry

PS.. once I had washing machine go wrong some years back
I asked JL to take it back and told them I wanted a replacement
while this was under repair they did this without moaning and gave
us a loan one we were pleased the old one came back as good as new

Guess what when I looked at the my original invoice I did not buy
it from JL it was from a friend who could get them wholesale LOL :hiya:

Sadly JL don't seem to be offering the 436XDE, just the FDE with its one HDMI input...

If you're a Pioneer plasma owner and you had a problem with your set, did it happen after more than a year? Or was that guy at JL right??!

thats one of the reasons i went for the 42pv500, 5 year warranty and i quite fancied built in freeview and the ability to look at my photos. plus i still think its got better blacks and handles panning better than the 436.

tscotsman said:
thats one of the reasons i went for the 42pv500, 5 year warranty and i quite fancied built in freeview and the ability to look at my photos. plus i still think its got better blacks and handles panning better than the 436.

Spent weeks staring at both screens in countless shops trying to decide between them, but the PV500 has picture quirks of its own, plus the new pioneer has all the specs you mention + richer colours (to my eye) + 2 HDMIs, and that eventually swung it. It's very close though, I grant you :)

But I want to hear from disgruntled Pioneer owners on the subject of my post above! Are there any, or are you all in Plasma heaven??

JimmyBGood said:
Spent weeks staring at both screens in countless shops trying to decide between them, but the PV500 has picture quirks of its own, plus the new pioneer has all the specs you mention + richer colours (to my eye) + 2 HDMIs, and that eventually swung it. It's very close though, I grant you :)

But I want to hear from disgruntled Pioneer owners on the subject of my post above! Are there any, or are you all in Plasma heaven??

No , i've died and gone to heaven :)

I thought the Pioneers came with a 2year guarantee.
Been looking at one of these my self and from what I can remember the guarantee is offered from Pioneer not from the dealer. I would suspect that only grey imports came with 1 year.
Saying that just had a look at http://www.leconcepts.com/dvd_home.htm and they are offering 3 years!

The new Pioneers only have 1 year :( They shaved a year off - there's gotta be a reason for that, don't you think?

LE Concepts seem to be the only ones taking a risk and adding a warranty of their own (though the price of the set elsewhere is cheaper). Don't know how worthwhile their warranty is though.. and they're a long, long way from me if anything did go wrong :suicide:

I know I'm sounding like a prophet of doom, but for 2 and a half grand a decent warranty is hardly asking too much!

Hi
Just to let you lads know that in Rep Ireland Pioneer are now giving 5 years warranty on the PDP - 436XDE.
Cost for plasma + side speakers + wall mount or stand + 5 YEARS warranty is €4500 = 3100 pounds .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom