1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

warranty dilemma - advice welcome

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by moff, Aug 24, 2005.

1. moff

moff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

a newby here so be gentle!!

I've decided on buying a TH37PV500 however my dilemma is....

If I buy from JL the cost for TH37PV500, ped stand, DMRES10 and 5Yr warranty is £2383.

If I buy from RGBDirect the cost for TH37PV500, ped stand, DMREH50 and 1Yr is £2158

My dilemma is - Should I play safe and go for the 5yr warranty or should I go for the better DVD and only 1yr warranty but save £200??

With the amount of postings about small problems with the PV500's I'm tempted to play safe....

Anyone any thoughts??

Many Thanks

Moff

2. Skeets_de

Skeets_de

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to sell extended warranties in the IT business. They are basically high profit add-ons and are grossly over priced. Any problem will usually show in the first 168 hours of operation. I would go with the 1 year also because it's a Panasonic. :)

By the way, Why 168 hours? This the standard MIL-SPEC burn-in and at 168 hours over 90% of the failures which would shorten a component's life have reared their ugly heads. For high reliability they often specify and pay extra for equipment or components which have been run for 168 hours prior to delivery. :smashin:

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Get JL to pricematch someone.

There are threads on this subject, have a search mate. :)

4. moff

moff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies....

I've already asked if they would price match, however....They would not offer the upgrade on the DVD as it's not in their 'special promotion' and My local JL would not price match on just the Plasma as RGB is out of their area....It would have to be the Oxford road branch and then they'd charge me £90 delivery (local branch would deliver free).....

5. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting the same plasma as you - and I would not buy it without a 5 yr warranty

the warranty on the table for me (£600) apparentley will replace the panny if there is screenburn etc

in my mind if you pay 2k for something then paying an additional £150 per year to ensure it works beyond the manufacturers guarantee seems sensible and provides peace of mind

thats my opinon - all relates to how risk adverse you are I guess !

6. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand that as Pannys book which comes with the plasma says that screenburn is not accepted as a fault!

7. Skeets_de

Skeets_de

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Screen burn is now considered Operator Error (i.e. not following the manufacturer's instructions for the first 100 hours) with the new panels. :(

8. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i dont know how much it actually covers me for, but i got my plasma with nationwide cash reward card which gives most electrical products a 2nd free year warranty.saying that, i made my own bracket for the wall as well!

9. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    go john lewis 5 year piece of mind mate