1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warranty claim what should hapen ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Fontie, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Fontie

Fontie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have just discovered the hdmi socket on my Samsung 42S5H is broken it looks like 2 of the pins that should lay flat have bent and are now sticking up at the rear of the socket either this hapend when i put the hdmi cable in or it was like it when i got the TV. Should i contact Samsung direct about this or Digiuk who i bought the TV from.The TV is 16 days old and What should i expect to hapen

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    Can you not try and bend them back, put something in there and slowly pull them back down?

I can't see how you can damage this unless they were not sitting completely flat in the first place, but I bet they will say that you have done it.

I would have a go at getting them flat again yourself, but do it slowly! :)

3. Fontie

Fontie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I did think of doing that but these pins/strips look very delicate and hard to get to i scared of making it worse. They must have been standing proud in the first place because all i did was plug in the hdmi cable

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    You're firts port of call should be Digi-UK, see what they have to say they will either arrange for a return/replacement or organise an Engineer visit. If you don't get any joy from them the is the time to contact Samsung directly.

5. JimmyGrimble

JimmyGrimble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the problem requires a swapping out of sets then digiuk will require
    you to get a returns logging number from Samsung uk and send it back
    to them along with your equipments' serial number
    bit of a rigmarole
    always wondered how that word originated :confused:

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    It was taken from the game of Ragman, which was an old english game of chance where scrolls were chosen with long winded procedures on them for the player to carry out, and the scroll was called the ragman roll.

7. Fontie

Fontie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I phoned Digi-UK and they would have taken it back but as I dont have the box it came in (Its huge and i dumped it last Thurday) they said i would have to go through Samsung I phoned them and they are sending a engineer around to have a look. Im hoping that he will be able to staighten out these pins without taking the screen away. Where do i stand if they do take it away on gettin a loan TV until mine is fixed ??

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    I don't know?

did you expalin what the problem is? If so he will probably bring a replacement input board with him when he comes.

9. Fontie

Fontie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I explained to Samsung and will explain the problem when the engineer phones before he/she comes. If its just a case of swapping a input board then so long as they have stock or can get one in reasonable time theres no need to take the TV away. The TV works fine besides the hdmi port

10. Fontie

Fontie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I just got a phone call from some local tv repair shop saying they would pick the tv up on Saturday i said ohh i thought an engineer was coming out they said they only have instalers that come out and engineers at base only.

Where exactly do i stand here can I insist on a replacement from digi-uk or samsung. I know what will hapen they will collect the tv and i wont see it again for weeks. What should i do help please

11. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The HDMI is not a well built connection, should have some sort of of way to make it a more sturdy connection like the Dvi with thumb screws.

Being so small you would have thought they would accounted for this on all equipment.

I can see a lot more Sockets getting damaged in the future!

I hope you manage to get yours sorted quickly but i am with a screen with a more serious fault and now at the position of writing to my retailer when i get an independent report sent, with the help of trading standards.

Good luck, mate!

Dr.