Warranty: Can Panasonic do this?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by goswirl, Feb 11, 2009.

1. goswirl

goswirl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone. Nopt sure if i'm in the right place but perhaps someone there has knowledge of consumer issues and may be able to help.

Basically i bought an brand new expensive pair of Technics headphones from a reputed seller on ebay. They failed on me after about 8 months so i contacted Panasonic for repair. As i didn't have the actual reciept, the said i had to pay £40 to 'have a look'. After begrudgingly paying, they looked and said a new headband was needed at as cost of £105!

Obviously i wasn't happy so i sent off all the emails, proof of payment, etc and they finally accepted and stated they would repair under warranty.

A few weeks later after hearing nothing, i contacted them again and was told they are a replaceable item, not repairable, even though they'd originally billed me for the headband repair, but they had no stock in the UK so they had to order some from Japan.

Now they have allegedly arrived and are on their way to my local store, however, i was also told that out of the £40 i initially paid, £20 has gone towards the cost of getting the headphones from Japan and the rest can be spent in store. I find that unacceptable! Why should i have to pay for them to get another pair? Does that mean if i had my original reciept, they would have still charged me £20 to get them back?

This has all taken about 10 weeks and i obviously don't want to just spend £20 in their store when they have messed me about and there is nothing i want. Does anyone know whether, under consumer law, they can do this?

Just bascially want to get my £40 back and if they break again, i'll go to another company for my next pair...

Many thanks for any advice of help.

2. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    Your only legal rights in this kind of situation are under the Sale of Goods Act. However, this only allows you to claim back monies etc from the seller (not the manufacturer) and only if the seller was a business and not a member of the public. The guarantee on the headphones was also provided by Panasonic to the original buyer and they therefore are not obliged to cover any costs under the 12 month guarantee as you were not the original purchaser. This is one of the dangers of buying on Ebay. Panasonic are actually doing more than they are legally obliged to, so not sure if it's fair to knock them on this. Most other manufacturers would likely have not even stepped in, as soon as you mentioned Ebay.

I must say that all this is based on my understanding that you have bought from a private individual and not a business?

3. goswirl

goswirl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the reply.

They were bought from a shop rather than an individual, however, the shop is no longer trading. I guess i should just accept it but it still pains me to do so.

i just feel if they had originally accepted that the warranty was valid (Which they eventually did after I sent in copies of electronic reciepts, statements, etc), i wouldn't have had to shell out any money anywhere down the line.

4. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    Ok, that changes things. It was the shop that would be legally obliged to refund/replace the headphones, but those rights are lost when a retailer stops trading. If you paid over £100 and it was by credit card then you may still have some comeback with the CC company.

As regards the Panasonic guarantee and what it does and doesn't cover, that will be in the small print in the written guarantee I presume you have. By law, Panasonic can pretty much put anything in their guarantee, as long as they honour what they have written.