1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warranty and service menus?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Tommo24, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With all the recent talk regarding the alteration of Sony TV service menus I am curious to know if an alteration invalidates a warranty?

I have just got my 3rd (thankfully not faulty) FS76 and am very happy but am interested in delving into the service menu to see if I can improve the picture still further. I have a 5 year warranty so obviously don't want to invalidate that!

Regards

Tom

2. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to bump this back up. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if you screw the settings up then yes- if the engineer believes you've gone into it.

Nathan

4. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They would have to be able to prove that you were in the service menu in the first place, not an easy task. You wouldn't mention it and if they did you would just play dum saying you don't know whats he/she is going on about "menu what menu, do you mean the menu for changing brightness":D

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would be lying. I don't want my noise to grow! :rotfl:

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you go into the service menu, whether you screw anything up or not, you have invalidated your warranty.........

...... assuming they are able to find out that you went in there of course ;)

If some of the defaults are changed (not geometry, but other things), then it's pretty obvious that you did though.

7. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guessed as much. I think I will stay out of mine until the warranty expires and/or I am confident enough to know what I am doing in the Service menu.

Regards

Tom