1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warranties...some better than others?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Bam, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

Called in at Comet today to check out a TV

It was priced at £1799.00 and came with a years warranty

I mentioned to the sales rep that House of Fraser offered the same TV £100 cheaper with 5 years warranty

He said they would price match but the couldn't do anything with the Warranty as Comets was far superior and offered new for old

He said it would cost a further £379.99 for a 5 year warranty

I do intend to check this out personally with House of Fraser and John Lewis

Can anybody shed some light on the differences in warranties at different retailers and if there is any truth in what I was told today at Comet?

Cheers

Bam

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My choice would be to buy the television from House Of Fraser, or alternatively, have Comet match HOF price and buy a separate warranty from Domestic & General, as these are widely considered best.
    For an online quote on your intended purchase, see www.domgen.com

It's likely you can buy your tv much cheaper online anyway from
    www.empiredirect.co.uk
    www.unbeatable.co.uk
    www.qed.co.uk
    or similar
    If you are happier buying from a local store, then even if the House Of Fraser warranty doesn't offer " New For Old ", you will still be paying less if you buy an extra D & G warranty yourself, than taking the Comet deal.
    Personally, new for old wouldn't unduly concern me, as when it comes to making a claim.....well, you know the rest.

3. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You need to check who exactly Comet will match.
    They have a select band of competitors and I dont think HOF are one of them.

Drphibes

4. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gringotts I had already priced insurance separately but the company I phoned will only insure all appliances in your home as opposed to one item such as a TV, incidentally they quoted £147 per year for that.
    D&G quote £179.10 for 4 years.

I have to say that I have absolutely no intention of purchasing from Comet, just called in to sound them out.

I am also aware of the online companies and the savings that can be made but am a bit wary of their quality of delivery and aftersales.

I had intended to buy from JL price matched against H of F using a Barclaycard and then get cashback against someone like unbeatable. However, I have just been told that Barclaycard do not offercahback if you buy from a company who price match, don't know if this is true but going to check it out.

drphibes - Comet stated that they would price match against anyone within 10 miles of their store who had the TV currently in stock.

Regards

Bam

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Me same.
    Squirrel God is fully versed in Barclaycard Price Match protocol, why not PM him ?

6. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    imho,
    i do believe comet etc. knock £100 off the set if you accept thier warranty, but not if you price match.
    all warranties should be looked at carefully, ie. are the tubes/bulbs covered on projector`s/rptv`s (comet do but insurance ones dont).
    if thier not local who do you call or where do you go to knock on thier nose ooops. sorry counter.
    all in all its peace of mind, and all at a price.

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    @ £379.99 so they should ! :eek:

8. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been over to John Lewis today and picked up a leaflet that gives information on their warranty

It offers new for old if the TV is beyond economical repair

Suprise Suprise... Comet were talking bull****

Bam

9. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    In my experiences with comet they would not match any other store other than the ones they list:confused: .
    This was not at one store but two seperate ones and at the time of buying I was infact purchasing a fridge freezer,condensor dryer and a tv that totalled £1300.
    They saidf they could only start to reduce the price if I took out the extended warranty and even then they would not go anywhere near knocking £100 off.

The impression I got when dealing with them is that the store manager has the final say and even then his hands seemed to be tied when it comes to knocking cash off products.

Drphibes

10. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found this on Comets website:

The Comet Price Guarantee

If you find a product on our website priced lower on tesco.com/electrical, amazon.co.uk, argos.co.uk, currys.co.uk, dixons.co.uk, pcworld.co.uk or in a local store (a store within 10 miles of your nearest Comet store), we'll not only match the price but also beat it by 10% of the difference.

11. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Excludes days that end in Y, months that end in R, and when it's raining in Rain Forest.

12. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comet, Curry's, Powerhouse, etc are all the same....will not Match/Beat very good prices. They always poo poo other stores warranty, and their staff are useless.

The above is my opinion and experience.

Cheers

Yugo1

13. nja

nja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Try Domestic and General - I have just taken out four extra years of cover for my 36" Toshiba for £179. The warranty is new for old.

14. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all opinions and experiences are respected, it`s what we are after,
    but to tar all staff/stores with the same brush is a bit OTT, most are jacks of all trades masters of none, which they need to be when selling a vast amount of different electrical gear.
    we all know thier warrenties are top price, period.......
    but if it means paying £100 more for a warranty to a store bought £2000 tv 2 miles away, compared to a store 200 miles away i will choose the former.(so i can see the man who took my money----worse case senario)
    all stores even online will have targets to meet, both with new and old stock and with time of month/year, this drives thier offers of price matching or buy this and get this free.
    every deal has pros and cons, the feeling of satisfaction is the best deal.
    thats my opinion
    cheers

15. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    If you are buying from Comet, see if their price ends in 95p, if so, this means it is the last ine in stock. In which case you can buy them at a heavily discounted price!!!

AND if you buy the 5 year warranty with it you can can usually get the 5 year warranty AND the TV for the original full price of the TV!

Thats what I did, 44" Thomson RPTV and 5 yr insurance, cost a few pennies short of 1400!!

16. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Maybe it's the ones by me and I see what your're getting at but I have been lied to so many times by those stores that I have lost any respect I had. Whenever you buy something from Comet they try and sell you the extra warrenty...why...cos it boosts their wages, which is fair enough but the customer is mis-informed.

JL do 5 years free warranty and WILL price match. Their warranty is just as good if not better than Comet, etc.

Cheers

Yugo1