1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

warranties for plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by craigybaby, Jun 3, 2005.

1. craigybaby

craigybaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Been rummaging around a yes J Lewis is great for giving five years warranty.
    But with other geat deals on the web but with only one yrs manufacturers
    I stumbled across this site offering 3 years extra warranty for £279.

So looks like you can protect your investment afterall without paying JL
    prices.

Any one know any pros or cons then please do say old beans.

craig

www.plasma-television.co.uk

2. Steve_Whelan

Steve_Whelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This sites prices are way to expensive, a lot more than other web retailers. And more than JL.

3. shugg

shugg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    craig, the pros are with J.L. .........
    they will price match with any other high street shop (try ASK electronics, tottenham court rd and phone up kingston J.L., it worked big style for me). Their warranty is for 5 years, and they will come and collect, etc. no hassle, you don't know that with an internet based outfit, at all........ good luck shugg

4. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I didn't think JL matched ASK since they don't display their prices.

5. DannyLizard

DannyLizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I clocked-up 14 years of electrical retail and I can honestly say that extended warranties are BS, always have been and always will be, it’s the number one source of retailers profit especially as around only 1-2% of major branded goods ever break down and if I recall the major chain retailers sell warranties on about 30-35% of products sold.

I know it sounds like common sense to splash out on a warranty for your £2000-£3000+ purchase but if you’re going to buy a warranty then shop about, don’t feel like you need to purchase it from the retailer your buying the plasma from, there are plenty of companies out there offering warranties. And do Barclaycard still do the extra year warranty for buying a product with their card?

Of course the flip side to this is the sales of goods act, I’ve known a few cases to go to the small claims court (when it gets that far, and it normally doesn’t) and every time the judge has ruled in favour of the customer not the manufacture/retailer, if you’re spending £1000+ of a TV set then your buying something above the norm and in a roundabouts sort of way your almost getting an extended warranty in the eyes of the law, ok its not carved in stone but most manufactures buckle quite easily within the second year of ownership if a problem arises some in the third year, I’ve known one customer to receive a guaranteed repair within the fifth year of ownership on a £300 hi-fi because he pushed hard enough and that’s on a low level purchase.

I’m just waiting for Penn & Teller to do a BS show on extended warranties, because they are just BS :)