Warrant from energy company - should I be worried?

password1

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I've just received an unexpected threatening letter from Eon telling me that they tried to enter my property to access the meters.

They couldn't enter with no notice because I was at work and not at home at that specific time they came.

I use to get letters asking if everything is ok if I don't top up my prepay meters for a while.

I'm guessing they want to increase my rates/standing charges as they can't do it remotely on a non smart meter. Secondly I think they think why my usage is so low. Im mainly paying standing charges as I rely heavily on solar and Ive not turned the central heating on all Summer.

Should I be worried? Can they tamper with the meters?

Im happy for them to do anything as long as they don't damage anything or try to con me or send me a bill for inspecting the meters.

I’m sure some of your wording is inaccurate…

Threatening?
Tried to enter the property?
Tamper?
Con?

The letter is threatening to me.

They tried to enter unannounced but couldn't because I wasn't at home.

Ive no idea what they do to the meters.

They tried to enter unannounced but couldn't because I wasn't at home.

Ive no idea what they do to the meters.
Then call the number on the letter perhaps?

If you owe them money, they will enter your property forcefully if needed and fit a prepayment meter

If you owe them money, they will enter your property forcefully if needed and fit a prepayment meter
I dont owe them anything. Im in credit. Topped up about £500. Im already on prepay meters (already fitted before I moved in)

I believe meter readers need access to your property at least once a year to read it and check that it is safe and secure. All you need to do is arrange a time when you will be in as for 'tampering' whats that all about?

I believe meter readers need access to your property at least once a year to read it and check that it is safe and secure. All you need to do is arrange a time when you will be in as for 'tampering' whats that all about?
I used to provide the readings if I wasn't in.

Tampering is when they mess about to make the meter turn faster or inaccurate so it charges more. Ive had a refund in the past for an error with the meter.

Why don't you type out a line or two from the letter, so we can evaluate whether you are just being paranoid or there's genuine reason for concern?

We haven't read the letter. And people don't seem to be appreciating the guessing games so far.

I used to provide the readings if I wasn't in.

Tampering is when they mess about to make the meter turn faster or inaccurate so it charges more. Ive had a refund in the past for an error with the meter.
As do I but as I said they require access to check the meter once a year or so, that it is safe and giving correct readings, but actual tampering is this common round your way?

Letter is a preprinted template with an Eon letterhead titled ' Urgent : we're applying for a Warrant to inspect your meter'

16597925642782426797515339144237.jpg

As do I but as I said they require access to check the meter once a year or so, that it is safe and giving correct readings, but actual tampering is this common round your way?
I have no idea if Eon tamper with meters and no idea about other people's meters.

Just give them a call and arrange a convenient time to have the meters checked, can't see anything sinister going on here.

That letter is heavy handed if it was posted through the door when having turned up unannounced. The more likely explanation is that they have already tried to arrange a time in the past with you and had no reply (be that their fault or yours).

Nothing to be paranoid about here as to the intent. It's their equipment and their responsibility to periodically assess it for safety in your house and misuse.

There's some very strict laws and financial penalties on these matters and clearly Eon is starting to become spooked about potentially missing the deadline for completing the required safety checks on the equipment. Again, whoever's fault that might be.

Last edited:
Usually the letters from Eon are addressed to me with my address but this letter was addressed to 'Occupier' with no address on a pre printed letter put through my letter box by hand. That number seems legit?

They're 'concerned' that you might be stealing electricity from them:
I use to get letters asking if everything is ok if I don't top up my prepay meters for a while.

Secondly I think they think why my usage is so low. Im mainly paying standing charges as I rely heavily on solar and Ive not turned the central heating on all Summer.

their responsibility to periodically assess it for safety and misuse.
Also, if they want to change your meter, to a smart non-prepay meter, that might work in your favour given the low useage - If I were you, I would have been pestering them for that from moving in since it was a previous occupant that the prepayment meter was installed for.

Usually the letters from Eon are addressed to me with my address but this letter was addressed to 'Occupier' with no address on a pre printed letter put through my letter box by hand. That number seems legit?
Ring them on the customer service number not the one on the letter as those details sound suspect - did the letter include your account no?.

They're 'concerned' that you might be stealing electricity from them:

Also, if they want to change your meter, to a smart non-prepay meter, that might work in your favour given the low useage - If I were you, I would have been pestering them for that from moving in since it was a previous occupant that the prepayment meter was installed for.
I like the prepay as I can control how much I top up by. Im not sure a credit meter will make a huge difference for low usage.

Is not prepayment a more expensive way to pay for utilities such as electricity?

Is not prepayment a more expensive way to pay for utilities such as electricity?
It is but not worth the hassle of a few pennies and I don't like to 'owe' anything and pay after, including paying an estimated reading.

I'm mainly paying the standing charge. I don't watch TV, dont use a fridge, rarely cook on my gas cooker, never used my oven, wash clothes by hand, don't have a dishwasher, sweep the floor by hand, all my devices, laptop, phone are charged off solar.

I use a solar power station to run my hifi.

During the summer months, don't have the heating on and dont need to use the lights as its still bright in the evening.

It is but not worth the hassle of a few pennies and I don't like to 'owe' anything and pay after, including paying an estimated reading.

I'm mainly paying the standing charge. I don't watch TV, dont use a fridge, rarely cook on my gas cooker, never used my oven, wash clothes by hand, don't have a dishwasher, sweep the floor by hand, all my devices, laptop, phone are charged off solar.

I use a solar power station to run my hifi.

During the summer months, don't have the heating on and dont need to use the lights as its still bright in the evening.
Damn, I couldn't live without a fridge. Do you just eat tinned and dried food?

Damn, I couldn't live without a fridge. Do you just eat tinned and dried food?
I eat a lot of sandwiches, I usually take a packed lunch to work or go to the canteen. I get free instant hot water at work.

I also occasionally eat out, have takeaways or eat at my parents.

I take milk and keep it in the fridge at work. At home I have long life milk. I have fresh food at leave 3 times a week. There's plenty of supermarkets and cornershops less than 5 mins away.

Also there is a fish and chip shop down the street. 3 Macdonalds, 2 KFC and a burger king in my town alone plus lots of pubs. I also like the occasional carvery.

I eat a lot of sandwiches, I usually take a packed lunch to work or go to the canteen. I get free instant hot water at work.

I also occasionally eat out, have takeaways or eat at my parents.

I take milk and keep it in the fridge at work. At home I have long life milk. I have fresh food at leave 3 times a week. There's plenty of supermarkets and cornershops less than 5 mins away.
Where do you keep the salad?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom