Warped screen - can I fix?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bruvva, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Bruvva

Bruvva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all.

I've had my PJ and pull down Beamax 77" screen for just short of a year now. I've got a problem with the screen in that over time it has warped on one side, which although only visible from certain angles is starting to bug me. Its particularly prevalent when I watch the football because I see a wobble in the painted lines!!

I'm told it happens to manual screens over time due to stretching but the question is can I do anything about it? Its not like it can be taken down and ironed, or can it? :eek:

Its not so bad that I can justify the cost of buying another screen just yet, but it is definitely irritating me.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve

2. pickle123

pickle123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    should be ok to iron if you put a bit of material like a sheet on top of the screen and then iron on a low setting if you see what im trying to say

3. AV Nik

AV Nik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    If you try to iron a vinyl screen, it will melt or warp even more.
    The only options are:
    To keep the screen down for a prolonged period of time, with fingers crossed the waves will fall out.
    To attempt to re-tort or re-torque the bottom of the screen surface within the bottom bar.

Occasionally you can use a pair of long nose plyers to reach inside one end of the tube and pull the material through the tension bar, resulting in pulling the surface tort.
    More often than not, it just makes it worse because you cannot reach inside the bar/tube enough to pull a large area of surface through. Turning a slight ripple into a wave.
    Hope this helps.

4. Bruvva

Bruvva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks guys - I'm going to get hold of Roy Jowetts today and see what they say.

Cheers again

Steve