Warped records / vinyl

danhar707

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Lask weekend got myself a Pro-Ject record deck from Richer Sounds as a bit of an impulse purchase. Really happy with the hardware and blown away by the listening experience playing some of my father in law's old records, but all gone bad as far as new records concerned...

Paid my local record store £20 for Radiohead Pablo Honey. Wasn't actually sold as new, rather ex/ex condition. Got it home and found one side (repeat, just one side) plays such that the stylus is moving ~8mm side to side; i.e. the whole cut is visibly off-centre relative to the hole! Sounds awful. Annoying. How did they even achieve this at the factory?!?!? Anyway, took it back and friendly record store dude gives me a brand new, 180gm, in-cellophane copy of same (Capitol records). Got this home, all excited...finally I can experience this great work in natural sounding vinyl glory...but, hang on...why's that stylus moving like that? Not side to side this time, but up and down. Its warped. Very warped. The stylus is having to do something akin to a motocross race, getting air at one point every lap. ***. Now I gotta do the 30mile round trip again to the record store.

Anyone else heard of this. What's going on?

A decent record clamp will sort out warping to a degree. However, I have never seen a warped 180g and if a record that thick can get warped to the extent you describe I doubt it is worth keeping. Me? 30 mile round trip is just 15 miles each way, so I'd be off for a replacement.

It's not un-common at all , I've got several 180g records that are slightly warped! My deck seems to handle them OK though.

If a record is that badly warped that it won't play properly then as Kenm says , it's time for a another replacement, perhaps ask the store to check it first this time!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom