1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning! Yamaha rxv650-remote can't control Denon DVDs (?)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Loewe, Mar 17, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The buttons (IR-signals) seems to be all mixed up on the 650 "universal" remote (EU-model) when used with Denon DVD-players. There is only one Denon-code on both the 650 and 750-remote, but 750 works (with Denon-players and the 650-receiver).

Tests on lots of newer and older Denon-players and with Denons own universal control indicates that no Denon DVD player can be controlled with 650! The Denon uni-control can't produce the same signal-button configs that the 650-remote with "Denon DVD"-code does.

A minor mistake of course, but Yamaha Norway claims they never makes such mistakes and refuses to give me a 750-control for free or with rebate, and cannot give me a 650-control that works (have tested a couple). Any views?

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Is the 650 programable? Otherwise invest in some thing like a pronto, else I guess you'll just have to live with using two remotes.

3. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 650-control is preprogrammed, the 750-one is both preprogrammed and programable/learnable. But the 750-preprogram-code for Denon works, 650 doesn't.

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I fuess your stuck then, the only other way is to try codes for other makes but i think that is probably gonna be more trouble than its worth.

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,311
    To be fair to Yamaha, you cannot get everything right all of the time- the code list is only as accurate as the company that supplies it (not Denon). As another manufacturer I can understand the reluctance to swap over the remotes given that this was a sales feature you decided against buying when you bought a '650.

6. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ability to control eg DVD-players, even Denon, is an nowadays expected, intended and even advertised feature (check the manuals) on both the lower and higher models. Actually the Rxv-450 control is even better equipped with Denon-codes than 650/750, it has two codes that should cover all 25+ players ever made by Denon. Of course no guarantee is made that preprogrammed remotes can control every player (or TV etc), not all models are covered, you should check this out before you buy. My point is that the one "Denon-code" on the 650-control is indeed FAULTY. 3 is 1, 4 is 2, stop is play etc on newer players, and it turns out that this skewed or mixed-up configuration does not seem to work with ANY Denon DVD-players! So be warned potential Yamaha 650-buyers/Denon-owners! Even Yamaha can't get everything right all the time. Unhappy Rxv650/Denon-owners should claim a remote that works properly. If you can't get a 650-remote that works like intended you should get (the 450-control with rebate or better) the 750-remote without extra cost. Here the one preprogrammed Denon code works properly on modern Denon players, and this remote can even learn :)

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I suggest geting a decent programable remote anyway, as all yamaha's I've ever used have been rather crap with bad layout and terible ergonomics. Also the back light model doesn't show the labels so unless you know ehere all the buttons are then whats the point, indeed whats the point in general becusae if you know where all the buttons are then you probably won't need a back light.

8. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Modern amp/receiver-remotes have the huuuge advantage that they both shift amp-input and change function on the remote-buttons once a function/input button (CD, DVD etc) is pressed. For example; the play/stop- or numeric buttons control the CD-player when CD is activated and of course the CD-input is enabled on the amp. Similar for DVD, VCR and TV m.m. The independent programmable remotes I have tested (Sunwave, Remotec) can't do this as they require both an input-change and a remote-function-change. This is way too complicated for wives and small children :)

9. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I find the yamah far to complicated for what it needs to be, and 4 bloddy power buttons! is that really needed, never mind the input the lcd which doesn't really seem to serve much of a purpose, it's a nasty big chunck of plastic.

I think something like a pronto may be better but then again the features you want may still not be available, how much did yamah say a remote from a 750/1500/2500 would cost?

10. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else with bad or good experience with the RXV650/Denon-combination? Can anybody get their 650-remote to work with a Denon DVD-player?