Warning to HS2 owners

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kenfowler3966, Feb 28, 2003.

1. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just a warning to those that don't know, the HS2 has to read the media in the dvd drive before it can eject it. This is a daft piece of software design that means if the media is faulty and can't be read, it is also very difficult to get out as the machine can enter a loop.

It can't read the media, then resets, can't read the media etc.

There are various possibilities to get round this on this site http://www.thewholewideweb.com/forum/default.asp but some seem very iffy.

This is a good reason to stick with known good quality media, and perhaps not look for that extra couple of pence off a disc.

As an aside, if you use your machine a lot like I do to time shift programs and then delete, do not leave any dvd media in the drive. This avoids the risk of the above loop and the machine starts up faster as there is no dvd drive to read and enable. Just insert the media when you need to use it.

I don't even use mine for dvd playback, all playback is handled by my tosh 210 with its better component connection, and again reduces the risk of the above issue.:clap:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I haven't had any experience with bad DVD media yet (but I stick to Panasonic's own DVD-RAMs) but can't you solve this by hitting the HDD button and, once it's swapped over, then hit the eject button? The DVD-RAM isn't 'read' prior to it's ejection. Does the 'bad media' stop you doing this?

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you watch the machine when you turn it on it first checks and enables the hard drive, then the dvd drive and once everything has been found will accept commands, even if it is set to use the hard drive from the last operation. Hitting the hard drive button will not help as it has to enable all the media first. If there is a duff dvd in the drive it goes into a recovermode, swithches off and tries again, hence the loop. Fortunately it has not happened to me as I have not tried any unsuitable or faulty media, but a number of people have been caught out.

Note what happens if you hit the eject button on the machine when it is on standby. Instead of just opening the drive which would be the logical thing to do, it wakes the machine, reads and enables the disk and once it has successfully achieved this ejects it.

If there is no media in the dvd drive the light just flashes once as it sees nothing there on start-up.