1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning - Reading this forum can damage your health

Discussion in 'TVs' started by TimFooty, Sep 25, 2002.

1. TimFooty

TimFooty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of weeks ago I decided that my old TV needed replacing. Having visited a couple of shops (real-life) and narrowing the choices I went online to get a price match.

It's then that I found this forum, and it's made my life a misery!!! I'm now suffering complete mental breakdown and my wife is about to divorce me for not completing the simply task or replacing a failing telly!

What with scroll bars, pincushioning, green lines, black lines, yellow lines, rainbow lines, rotation, "dirty screens", PALp, NTSC, moiré, genreal faults, component input, Nicam, Dolby, Virtual Dolby, Doly Pro-Logic, 100hz, and various digital enhacements.

Ahhhh! I'm completely lost.

Now I have no idea what specs I need, and no idea what tv's are reliable and which are not.

Is there no tv out there suitable for watching footy on telly, or should I just stick with my 8-year-old Sony, complete now with red horizontal lines?

Anyone know a psychologist, or is there a forum for them like this one which will do more harm than good?

2. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    if you don't know what you need, you will be more than satisfied with a 32" philips, sony, toshiba or LOEWE tv.

100hz if possible.

And if tou don't know those failures, don't attempt to become more informed cause it will be alot worst!

3. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455

I had the same problem. I found this forum when I had trouble with my Thomson 32WF45. Since then I've had 3 dodgy Panasonics but now am completely happy with my Sony 32LS60. If your looking for a top TV, go for one of these. Watching footy is no problem but, being 100hz, there is SLIGHT blurring.
    Sounds fantastic, looks fantastic.

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    welcome to the forum! heh heh:D :D :D

seriously tho the posts above are right... don't try and learn too much about these TV problems, because unless it is REALLY obvious (or you are looking for things you have read about) you will probably never notice it.

I've had a Sony kv28ls35 for about a week now and I think the picture is fantastic, pin sharp with rich vibrant colours but there are probably people here who would point out all manner of problems with it.

Saying that it took me a while to pinpoint the set I wanted by trawling through hundreds of posts.

Good luck

5. chegz60

chegz60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yer dead right this forum can be dangerous.
    :devil:

But i bet it's helped a lot of people get the right thing 'in the end'.
    it did me but if i had listened to all the posts i like you would have considered giving up.

as an ex-tv engineer and virgo i find i am very critical.
    but what i sometimes notice others wouldn't. (my wife had never heard of convergence etc on a tv until i went on about it!).

you have to decide how much u can afford and what you want from the tv regarding picture and sound. i personally would always go for picture quality as the sound can always be up-graded.

dont spend too much time comparing too many sets, try to narrow it down to just a few. and go along to comet or currys and have a good look at them.

;)

6. chegz60

chegz60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh yeah, i forgot to mention. dont take any notice of the sales person. most if not all haven't got a clue:clown:

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm happy with my 32" IDTV

8. TimFooty

TimFooty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've narrowed it down to three really:

Panasonic TX32PH40
    Toshiba 32ZD26P
    Philips 32PW6527

After all the threads on these forums about the Sony scrolling bar I'm scared - even though Sony has done me well for years (HiFi, Video, TV). But I really do like the look of the Panny. Looks lie the expensise Sony (NX100) but much cheaper.

My head still hurts! But cheers for the all advice!

9. gvh

gvh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    couldn't agree more. I was thinking on the sony ls35 until I read this and since then its changed about 4 times.

It went to the sony ls60

Then went to the phillips pixel plus 9527. Especially after seeing one in a shop.
    (There were 40 tvs taking the same feed, from 40 feet away you could clearly see the p+ set adding an amazing amount of extra detail compared to all the others around it. Very impressive tech)

Then I started reading about progressive scan and twigged about the toshiba stratas. These are the same price as the sony ls60 online and much cheaper than a p+

Then I read this week about pal progressive scan and thought it best to wait....
    Then we started thinking about moving house......

The fault thing: some of all of them go bang. As for obscure picture problems you only spot them with practice :)