WARNING projector lamp

Movieman

Just a quick note to warn people about buying a replacement projector lamp from "justprojectorlamps.co.uk" I don't want the good people of this forum to have the grief I'm having.
I ordered a lamp from them around the 20th November, i didn't get around to change the lamp till mid December, as i was changing the lamp I noticed that the looked slightly different, I thought they had sent me there own version (£55 cheaper) and not the original manufactures. So I called justprojectorlamps and explained, they said that they had sent the correct one (and to prove other wise I had to take pictures of both and send them to be looked at), any how they asked me to try it in the projector and see if it worked, it did and the picture was fine, so I let it be. However a week or so after the lamp went pop, so I phone justprojectorlamps again, they asked me to fill out the returns form on the web site and return the lamp for inspection, the returns address was in france. It has now been 4 weeks and still no reply I keep calling and all the say is it will take another week before we can look at it, the lady I speak to keeps saying she will call them and chase it along and that she would call me back, she has never once done what she said she would do, I have had to keep chasing them, they are the most unhelpful people I have ever had to deal with, they may have very competitive prices but be warned they are not customer friendly, you will have nothing but grief if you have a any sort of problem.:mad:

You have expressed my fears for buying a new lamp. I tried the site you mentioned but it was unavailable. Perhaps you could check your information.

Found them thanks. The site didn't respond when I tired. They quote £425 for my lamp. I found the same lamp for£205 at myprojectorlamps.co.uk Their site doesn't mention "original manufacture" although when I telephoned them they said that they were "original". I tried several time on the Projectors Thread to see if anyone had experience of them but unfortunately no response at all.

Last edited:

Marshfield

Standard Member
The company appeared to be UK based with a UK address but turned out to be operating from France.

I ordered a replacement bulb for my Projector thinking I was getting a good deal on a generic replacement. But it turned out to be just a bulb and not the lamp unit. I could not dismantle the lamp unit so I asked to return the bulb. They said OK and said it would take some time to test the bulb.

Returning it cost £9.74 (insured & signed for) to France.

Foolishly I then ordered what I thought was the right lamp unit. It turned out not to be (despite the packaging saying it was). Returning that cost another £10.61.

I was getting quite frustrated at this point having paid £11.69 for each bulb/lamp to be sent to me.

Maybe I should have known the difference between a lamp and a bulb - but there were no photographs on the website to help.

I was not responsible for sending the wrong lamp unit.

I asked for a refund and after several weeks and a threat of legal action did they finally make the refund but then they only refunded the cost of the bulb/lamp and not P&P.

So I am over £40 out of pocket and much worse for the experience of dealing with this company which clearly does not operate to the customer service and trading standards we expect in the UK.

So my advice is be careful and be aware.

greigym

Banned
An exact example of why you should stick to UK authorised resellers. When you buy from overseas there is no guarantee of what you are getting. Even guys on EBay advertise the real "genuine" lamp but I know for a fact dont get them in as they look different. My advice would be to have a word with the UK distributor of lamps and they will then give you a list of people you can trust.

Cheers

DMXDave

Novice Member
Sorry for digging up an old thread. I bought some "original" lamps from these clowns who are based in France but as previously stated are claiming to be in the UK.
The lamps they sent were not originals but copies, when I complained they asked me to send them back (at my expense)

It took 2 months for them to send me a refund and they used every trick in the book to delay it!

STAY AWAY!

EL Dukeo

Im probably going to be replacing my pt5000 lamp soon so where is a decent place to buy from??

Richard Knight

Novice Member
I too can confirm our company was seriously damaged by justporjectorlamps.co.uk. After purchasing over £6000 of lamps (in four separate orders!!!) it turned out ALL the lamps were compatible lamps. Lamps were blowing unpredictably all over our company. Leaving rooms and meetings out of action, excess cost to the business and significant amount of grief.

After much communication and pictures we did manage to get them swapped but we even had to get Hitachi involved to prove they were not official lamps. The problem with us is we can buy these lamps to stock on the shelves and not use them for 6 months so its not immediate what is going on. The packaging is almost identical and the bulbs are not easy to tell apart until you look at them side by side which wasn't until i looked at the statistics and smelt a rat did i do.

The company did swap out all the lamps in the end but in my personal opinion this was a blatant act of fraud. I was told it was a shipping issue at the warehouse in France. This is a pretty big issues (on four separate occasions). Think of how many people didn't work their mistake out.

This company is making a serious amount of money from this error. Being number one AD search on Google for a lot that i searched for even if a third of people complained and got there lamps replaced they would still be making a great deal of extra money from this *mistake*

BE CAREFUL!

mojogoes

Remembered (1961-2016)
Chinese lookylikey bulbs! It seems to be happening in all fields and areas.......................Car parts was one area where this very same issue was happening with the likes od gsf / europarts but they have had to really clean up there acts!

Richard Knight

Novice Member
Chinese lookylikey bulbs! It seems to be happening in all fields and areas.......................Car
Chinese lookylikey bulbs! It seems to be happening in all fields and areas.......................Car parts was one area where this very same issue was happening with the likes od gsf / europarts but they have had to really clean up there acts!
Just to avoid any confusion, all the official Hitachi bulbs we have used are from China and hold up to their manufacturing hours as boasted and usually far beyond. The compatible lamps appear to originate from Japan and are labeled so, but some are also labeled from china. It's pretty confusing.
But if it's labeled from China that is normal for all the lamps I have.

jhjerpe

I was just about to order a spare bulb for my JVC X30 .... this was one of the main companies I was looking at, will avoid it now.

mojogoes

Remembered (1961-2016)
But if it's labeled from China that is normal for all the lamps I have.
Sorry did I not mention that the difference between the two is one is licenced and the other isn't but come from the same country................jhjerpe! I know someone who ordered from them and who had the x35 and the bulb blew with in a week.

GaryB

Distinguished Member
I was just about to order a spare bulb for my JVC X30 .... this was one of the main companies I was looking at, will avoid it now.
Now that the first X series models are a few years old, we are getting an increasing number of customers calling us saying that the replacement lamps are either not as good as the originals or aren't lasting very long (I work for JVC UK BTW, in case you don't know). In a few cases, they have even blown the ballast boards in the projector - possibly because of an internal short. Most customers call us because they aren't even aware that the lamp they've purchased isn't genuine and are asking why their "JVC" replacement lamps aren't very good.

Now I know that people will say that I would say that because I work for JVC, but the experiences in this thread and one or two others will hopefully bear this out. It isn't worth risking bad performance and possibly a large repair bill to save what is a fairly small proportion of the original purchase price. There are several Assured Advertisers on here that can offer a decent price for a new genuine JVC lamp, and I'd suggest you contact one of those.

jhjerpe

Thanks Gary, buying the genuine bulb makes sense to me. Searching for one was how I stumbled across this company, they certainly look professional.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published