Warning - Out of the World Promotion declined!!!

SuperBobNoz

Standard Member
Apologies if this is not the correct place to post this but wanted let people know.

I went to buy a TV via Samsung’s student discount portal and noticed they had an offer for 50% cashback if you got a soundbar, so as it was such a good offer decided to buy one.

The TV had 25% off and the soundbar also had 30% off but the offer was clearly advertised against the discounted price for the TV.
The Samsung promotion team rejected my claim based on the following clause in the T&Cs

"This Promotion is only available to end users (e.g. not to any reseller or business) and is not available in conjunction with any other offer."

They initially said that any discount constituted “other offer”. I complained to both the promotion team and the Samsung Store support team. The Samsung Store support team initially seemed to think my claim was valid via the discount portal. It was escalated to a senior team but just appeared to be bounced back to promotion team and my claim was rejected again today. It appears you can claim with a discount but not more than 10%.

I not sure how you would not what level of discount is allowed based on above T&Cs.

This means it impossible to get this offer via the student portal as the discount is applied automatically so would always be invalid even though the offer is clearly advertised.

I recorded the step I went through to buy items and posted on YouTube.

Any advice on what to do next would be much appreciated?

Thanks,
Rob

LCR_Dave

Hi Rob, I’ve had a successful claim but yet to receive funds for 50% cash back into my account.
My claim on the claim tracker is showing as validated and successful.
What does yours say?
I’ve received the entry into the competition and also 10 rakuten movie codes. Have you received those?
I’ll give you more details once I receive the money just I don’t want anything getting flagged in the mean time.
Dave

SuperBobNoz

Standard Member
Thanks for offer Dave and totally understand you need money in bank first.

I had a problem putting in the serial numbers via the claim form and had to go via support team. They said my claim was invalid due to discount. They did fix the form so tried claiming and just got rejected.

Did you get discount on tv/soundbar?

Cheers,
Rob

LCR_Dave

I didn’t have 30% off the sound bar at the time, there was some discount but not sure on the percentage, I paid £1169.10 for it but I did get 25% off the discounted tv price. I paid 2099.25 for the Q90r qled.
I’ll check to see what the soundbar price is currently

Edit. Yes soundbar still showing at the same price so I think students get more off the soundbars

SuperBobNoz

Standard Member
Thanks for info - a very good deal when you get cash back!

I didn’t have 30% off the sound bar at the time, there was some discount but not sure on the percentage, I paid £1169.10 for it but I did get 25% off the discounted tv price. I paid 2099.25 for the Q90r qled.
I’ll check to see what the soundbar price is currently

Edit. Yes soundbar still showing at the same price so I think students get more off the soundbars

SuperBobNoz

Standard Member
This has now been sorted and my claim accepted thanks to the help of the Samsung Store Support Team.

Again, thanks to Dave for your offer of help.

ZicoUK

Welcome @SuperBobNoz . Good to hear over on HUKD that you manage to get this sorted. Did you have to raise anything with Samsung in regards to Trading Standards and the T&C's?

I wonder if the Student discount was the kicker in them trying to reject your claim, the prices for myself via the employer portal aren't anywhere near that much unfortunately.

SuperBobNoz

Standard Member
Welcome @SuperBobNoz . Good to hear over on HUKD that you manage to get this sorted. Did you have to raise anything with Samsung in regards to Trading Standards and the T&C's?

I wonder if the Student discount was the kicker in them trying to reject your claim, the prices for myself via the employer portal aren't anywhere near that much unfortunately.

Thanks @ZicoUK

I sent an email clearly pointing out that it wasn't possible to get this offer based on how the promotional team had interpreted the T&C. It even changed from no discount to 10% discount and then to a 10% discount on the total order. This would have meant it was impossible to claim even with just the 25% discount on TV. As a few people appeared to have successfully claimed with a lower discount on the soundbar I suspect you are right about that being the issue but they never actually said this.

I did say, in my email, my next step was Trading Standards but to be fair to the Samsung Store Support team they never disputed my claim and always implied I should be able to get the offer. I suspect it was all just a communication issue between the promotion team and the Samsung store. I assume the promotion team didn't have any visibility/knowledge of discounts in the store and how it works so just reject my claim.

It has been a very stressful couple of weeks trying to get this sorted but all good in the end.

Which TV and soundbar did you go for?

LCR_Dave

This has now been sorted and my claim accepted thanks to the help of the Samsung Store Support Team.

Again, thanks to Dave for your offer of help.

You’re welcome mate, I was going to send you all my emails and invoices to help with your case but didn’t want mine to be flagged before I received the funds 😂
I’m glad you got the discount, happy listening I’m loving the sound bar and tv and the moment.
I run everything to the soundbar first which isn’t ideal but it stops the lip sync problem for now until they update firmware again.
Was listening to Spotify yesterday and I’m amazed how loud but still awesome quality the sound bar is

SuperBobNoz

Standard Member
You’re welcome mate, I was going to send you all my emails and invoices to help with your case but didn’t want mine to be flagged before I received the funds 😂
I’m glad you got the discount, happy listening I’m loving the sound bar and tv and the moment.
I run everything to the soundbar first which isn’t ideal but it stops the lip sync problem for now until they update firmware again.
Was listening to Spotify yesterday and I’m amazed how loud but still awesome quality the sound bar is
Agree both are great. The only problem I'm having at the moment is trying to get Atmos working going through TV from gaming PC. I did try going direct to Soundbar but couldn't get video passthrough working and not sure if it would cause extra lag if this did work.

I think the issue is on the PC side, just trying to get everything updated. Latest versions of Windows (1803) mentions some fixes for Atmos, so hopefully that will sort it.

LCR_Dave

Ah ok, you can’t get atmos up to the soundbar via connecting anything up to the one connect box.
The only way i can get atmos is connecting direct to sound bar using my Xbox one x and a Nvidia shield.
Then the picture is passthough back to the one connect box via the hdmi arc port.

I hope Samsung update the hdmi to be eArc soon as that’s the only way atmos will pass from the one connect box to the soundbar.

LCR_Dave

On a side note, went and dumped the box today and as was about to flatten it I noticed something in there, a 4K version of incredibles 2..
Did you get one too?

ZicoUK

Thanks @ZicoUK

I sent an email clearly pointing out that it wasn't possible to get this offer based on how the promotional team had interpreted the T&C. It even changed from no discount to 10% discount and then to a 10% discount on the total order. This would have meant it was impossible to claim even with just the 25% discount on TV. As a few people appeared to have successfully claimed with a lower discount on the soundbar I suspect you are right about that being the issue but they never actually said this.

I did say, in my email, my next step was Trading Standards but to be fair to the Samsung Store Support team they never disputed my claim and always implied I should be able to get the offer. I suspect it was all just a communication issue between the promotion team and the Samsung store. I assume the promotion team didn't have any visibility/knowledge of discounts in the store and how it works so just reject my claim.

It has been a very stressful couple of weeks trying to get this sorted but all good in the end.

Which TV and soundbar did you go for?

Does appear that somebody within Samsung's promotions team didn't quite get the message across to the store front or vice versa.

I had a similar issue a few years back with an offer from The Post Office credit card when they offered £5 (iirc) credit for switching to paperless billing. I did this before the deadline in the T&C's and then forgot about things. Jump forward a few months later and I was about to close the card down when I remembered and called up to query where the credit was. I received a letter a week or so later from TPO saying that they had rejected my complaint and the credit wasn't on offer to me for various reasons given. I wrote back pointing out that none of the reasons for rejecting the credit were specified within the T&Cs so if they didn't pay the stated credit, I would complain to the Financial Ombudsman (yes it was £5 but it was the principal that they were in breach of their own T&C's). In the end (eventually) they offered me £25 as a gesture of goodwill and the matter was settled. Not long after, the FO got back to me and sided with me on the matter.

Back to the TV, I got the 55" Q70R but haven't bought a sound bar (yet - was looking at the Q70 with ATMOS but not desperately in need of it).

ZicoUK

On a side note, went and dumped the box today and as was about to flatten it I noticed something in there, a 4K version of incredibles 2..
Did you get one too?
Saw an un-boxing video on YouTube a few days back and there was a copy of Incredibles 2 in the sound bar box.

Cheerios246

Guys how long did it to receive the cash back once you received the provisional validation email? I received a £50 discount from RS for purchasing both the TV and Soundbar together however thankfully the discount was way below 10%.
My claim has been provisionally validated, just waiting for the funds now.

drebins2003

Standard Member
I got declined because I got a work promotion nhs saved £557 on my 65inch q85r but carnt get anything of the sound bar though.

ZicoUK

I got declined because I got a work promotion nhs saved £557 on my 65inch q85r but carnt get anything of the sound bar though.

If you read the T&C's there is nothing that excludes discounts via the workplace portal offers and nothing that mentions the NHS either. It's worth responding to Samsung stating that they have misled you with the offer and that you will raise matters with Trading Standards as a result.

I know that @SuperBobNoz had some trouble getting his claim rejected at first via the Student Beans portal when he purchased his TV and sound bar via the discount portal offer. He might be able to help.

drebins2003

Standard Member
Thanks bud wish I had known as I just bought the Q90R from a small retailer which I don’t think would come under there promotion now

stevemack

I've found 2 others who've gone over 30 days and it's not been paid too on other forums... Can't find anyone who's been paid out yet

Will be calling them first thing monday...

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches ZEN One Signature DAC
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Rotel announces MKII versions of A12, CD14 and RCD-1572 devices
  • By Andy Bassett