Warning long post!Q acoustics 3050 + Onkyo a9010

Sivur

Novice Member
Hi. I want to first inform you all that I am in no way an audiophile and I know nothing about what makes an amp or dpeaker sound "fun" "dynamic" "wide" "clear" "punchy" or any other words that whathifi.com likes to use to describe all of the speakers and amps they review. Also, why is it that almost all the products they review get 5 stars? I don't think I've ever seen a 3 star product on that website.

To get to the point, I'm looking to buy a new sound for the following: stream music from Spotify (I do not own a vinyl or CD player)watch Netflix and play PS4. The music I listen to is mixed but it's mostly electronic, and reggae. I almost never listen to rock or classical music. Mainly instrumental music.

I've spent many hours reading this forum and other forums, as well as reading reviews on Amazon and other websites, as well as reading forum articles and watching YouTube videos/reviews. For music I'm looking for the same thing as everyone else, the best sound for my budget, which is max 2200 dollars, but then it has to be something really really extraordinary, I would prefer to spend 1200 dollars.. For watching movies and playing games I want to have that extra oomph, but clear and precise sound with good bass is still very important. I have read that you get better sound for the same money if you buy an amp rather than an av receiver, of course this would be true for music, but is it true for movies and games?

I have thought about the following products: Onkyo a9010 and q acoustics 3050 (is there a big difference between these and 3050i?) Dali Oberon 5 and nad c368 or powernode 2i. I've looked at many other brands and models but to be honest everything gets very confusing because everyone has an opinion about what is best. I guess what I'm asking is will the Onkyo a 9010 have enough power to drive the q acoustics to their full potential as well as fulfilling my audio needs for music and movies and games? If not, will the nad or the powernode be able to do so? Any suggestions, tips comments are welcome. I live in Sweden by the way so the hifi market is more limited here than uk/us/germany

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
The onkyo only has analogue inputs, the best way of getting sound out of the tv and PS4 are digital (optical toslink) . I would suggest either the Yamaha rn602 or if you can justify the budget the rn803 (which has room correction built in and a very good dac). Both of these also have built in Spotify connect so no need to turn on the tv/PS4 to listen to music.

Here are a few examples of rn803 + speaker bundles available in the U.K. If you can audition in Sweden and see what you like then drop U.K. seller an email/call and see if they will ship, may be cheaper with some of these bundle deals.

R-N803D Based - Yamaha Packages - Bundle Offers - Hi-Fi

What size room do you have? If it is small then book shelf speakers on stands may be more appropriate.

Sivur

Novice Member
The onkyo only has analogue inputs, the best way of getting sound out of the tv and PS4 are digital (optical toslink) . I would suggest either the Yamaha rn602 or if you can justify the budget the rn803 (which has room correction built in and a very good dac). Both of these also have built in Spotify connect so no need to turn on the tv/PS4 to listen to music.

Here are a few examples of rn803 + speaker bundles available in the U.K. If you can audition in Sweden and see what you like then drop U.K. seller an email/call and see if they will ship, may be cheaper with some of these bundle deals.

R-N803D Based - Yamaha Packages - Bundle Offers - Hi-Fi

What size room do you have? If it is small then book shelf speakers on stands may be more appropriate.
So basically the Onkyo connects to the TV via toslink. The PS4 and PC are connected via HDMI and thus audio goes through PS4 and PC through tv which goes through the Onkyo and out to the speakers. Would this create any delay when watching movies and such? Also I plan to use my phone connected through a Bluetooth but then there is the idea that adding stuff will ultimately result in lower quality Bluetooth or drive the price up. What is your take on the nad d3020 or the powernode i2? They are considerably smaller but do you think they have enough power to drive the speakers? The powernode 2i costs around 1000 dollars. The room is a livkngroom. I believe it is around 25m2

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
From the onkyo site, the a-9010 does not have a digital input which is why I suggested the Yamaha network enables amps. This will need a separate dac to connect to the tv optical out or use the tv analogue out which will not be optimal.

Onkyo | A-9010 (UK)

Also, if you use Spotify then why Bluetooth it when you can use the PS4 app and keep it digital as long as possible. Connecting the PS4 through the tv will be fine afaik.

For a room 25m2 (say 15ft x 15ft) you are probably borderline small floor standers or stand mounts. The rn803d was suggested as it has built in room correction which will help optimise the sound for your particular room.

I think you have a number of option but they all will have a slightly different sound in both amp and speaker and in combination. Most modern electronicss will make a decent sound but it may not be to you taste. Only your ears can tell what you like (oh, and the processor between the ears) so make a trip to a hifi shop if you can and do some listening before making a decision.

One combination that may work well is the rn803d with Kef r300 (on run out sake at the moment), this pair can be had for Peter Tyson for £1250 (plus exchange rate and shipping). You will then need stands.

Sivur

Novice Member
From the onkyo site, the a-9010 does not have a digital input which is why I suggested the Yamaha network enables amps. This will need a separate dac to connect to the tv optical out or use the tv analogue out which will not be optimal.

Onkyo | A-9010 (UK)

Also, if you use Spotify then why Bluetooth it when you can use the PS4 app and keep it digital as long as possible. Connecting the PS4 through the tv will be fine afaik.

For a room 25m2 (say 15ft x 15ft) you are probably borderline small floor standers or stand mounts. The rn803d was suggested as it has built in room correction which will help optimise the sound for your particular room.

I think you have a number of option but they all will have a slightly different sound in both amp and speaker and in combination. Most modern electronicss will make a decent sound but it may not be to you taste. Only your ears can tell what you like (oh, and the processor between the ears) so make a trip to a hifi shop if you can and do some listening before making a decision.

One combination that may work well is the rn803d with Kef r300 (on run out sake at the moment), this pair can be had for Peter Tyson for £1250 (plus exchange rate and shipping). You will then need stands.
It has the DAC, I checked it with the retailer. The Yamaha unit you recommended me, is it an av receiver? How much bottleneck will be put on the music by going the av receiver route vs the amp route? Since I might be using it more for movies and games and I have a focusrite Scarlett 2i2 connected to rokit krk 3 I could use those for music. But I do want to experience real Hifi and in willing to pay for it. On forums some people swear that av receivers are garbage for music.

muljao

Can I suggest an alternative to check out.

As you are only using Digital outputs maybe a set of powered speakers and a preamp dac of sorts might be a good way to go. Alternative a Yamaha wxc50 has streaming built in

Something like an arcam irdac 2 has 2 optical, 2 coax and a USB input with a preamp section.

Add something like 2 of these and a good set of speaker stands and I think you could be onto a good combo

Mackie MR824 8'' Powered Studio Monitor at Gear4music

Ugg10

Distinguished Member

Sivur

Novice Member
The rn803 is a stereo amp but it has networking built in and also room correction.

MusicCast R-N803D - Overview - Yamaha - Other European Countries

Is there a Europe’s version of the onkyo that is different to the U.K. one as the link I provided to it definitely shows no digital input.

Edit - interesting the Swedish onkyo site shows the a9010 with a dac.

Onkyo | A-9010
Yes correct. Since my music/film/games source will be fed exclusively through digital, it means it will be processed by a DAC in a 300 dollar machine. Will the DAC be a bottlebeck or will it just forward the signal to the pre and poweramp? Do you own this Yamaha unit that you linked to me? Could you tell me the difference between this and the bmuesound powernode 2i? Because in terms of price they are similar, but the powernode is much more smaller.