Warning keep your PJ dust free

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by maverick177uk, Mar 7, 2006.

1. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,487
    Well just got the bad news my 4805 needs a new bulb after only 290 hours. It seems that a lot of dust accumalted around the lamp and blew it:( Its all my fault when I repositioned the ceiling bracket I forgot to fill in the holes, and over the last 18 months small bits of dust have dropped through on to the vents and bang now im £220 lighter in my wallet. So now those holes are being filled in and it will be vaccumed 1 a month.

2. Shadow Jam

Shadow Jam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on the other hand my bulb blew after i turned it on after cleaning, so clean in moderation, i think

3. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,487
    So anyone got any suggestions on how best to clean a PJ?

4. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The lamp went on my Benq 5120 after 280 hours. Haven't heard back from Benq yet to find out for sure if it is the bulb. It's been away for 8 days now but at least I have a loan unit to keep me happy.

5. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    two good tips are to use a small paint brush, and a vucuum cleaner, but...

never use the brush without the vacuum operating

assuming that your vacuum has a hose, bring it close to the area where you wish to begin cleaning, and (here's the cunning bit) curl a finger around the end of the hose so that it goes inside the pipe - this'll ensure no sudden shock caused by vacuum/projector interface

once, and only once the vacuum is on, and close, you can begin brushing with your paintbrush (you want something ranging between 1/4 and 1/2 inch depending on nook or cranny size)

compressed air is often recommended, but can force dust further into the unit, best to save compressed air for when dust is in light engine

oh, and removable and watersafe filters can be gently squished and rinsed clean under a cool tap, but never replace damp filters, and don't use on any paper/card/corrodable metal parts

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    tbh i think bulbs are just rather poorly made and blow randomly, my room is somewhat dusty due to my living in it all the time other than the 5 hours im at work...lol....and i've been chewing up the hours on my first bulb in my 7205, 1431 hours now in just under 6 months........usually on for 6 hours a night weekdays and lord knows how many on the weekend.....mebbe cuz its on so long it burns up the dust?...lol

7. Shadow Jam

Shadow Jam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just out of curiosity when people say use a hover, do they mean one of those little hand held ones, because i used my dyson

8. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    yes, something a bit meatier is better generally