Warning Gumtree Sideshow Alert

chaggs1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow collectors I want to warn you of Scam going on Gumtree for Sideshow products.

The seller claims to be selling a Sideshow Terminator 1/2 scale bust for £340 which is to good to be true.

I contacted the seller through gumtree and discussed me going down and inspecting it before I parted with my hard earned cash.

I was told the following:

Hi,
Don't know if it's been long since you've emailed, I've been out so couldn't follow up on my text message. Can't promise anything but visiting my mum shortly, wouldn't mind making a drop off :) .

If you'll send me your postcode I can check out on my satnav the distance to yours.

Reasonable price and accurate description, it's worth the money, no bad surprises. I won't go any lower.
Can be reached on (0)7973 425052 low signal strength area :( but check emails regularly.
Ta,
Teresa.
P.S. Will take cash only.

Even sent me this link of a middle aged women

https://plus.google.com/u/0/102044927241911431270

Next email:

Parcel Tracking details - Almost looked genuine

At the request of Teresa Sutton, this notice is to confirm that the following shipment is in transit.

Important delivery information
Temporary parcel number: PBIE562215812 *Pending - Not valid to track online*
Packaged Goods: Sideshow Terminator T-800 1:2 Scale Bust Endo
Declared value: £340.00

Also instruction on how to purchase the ukash from paypoint.

Next email:
You'll need cash to buy the voucher. Here Welcome to PayPoint | PayPoint you can find the nearest shop and ask for the ukash voucher. Scan it or take a close-up picture using your mobile phone of the ukash voucher and reply with it to the email from parcelforce. Hope this helps.
Teresa.

I thought it was to good to be true. So I did a google search on her name and she came up as a scammer on gumtree.

This was on moneysavingexpert.co.uk forum website

This scam has used the following names and phone numbers:

Alexa Brown
Alexa Edwards
Alexa Connel
Sarah Harper
Sarah Harding
Sarah Harlow
Norma Palmer
Angela Murray
Teresa Sutton

07747 192044
07973 425052
07747 516575

and probably many more...

Format of eMail address is [email protected]

She is visiting her mum and can drop off the golf clubs / dresser / audio amp / archery equipment / car seat / ......

But she has been sent away on business, and can have it delivered by Parcel Force who will contact you for payment by UKash or PayPoint before delivery....

Parcel Force do not offer this service ! ...the emails do look convincing....UKash only need the Voucher number to collect and they do and have (luckily not from me, but for the grace of God !)

UKash are not interested , not sure if police can be bothered, Gumtree are as usual disinterested..

BUT YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Last edited:
I was that close to pulling the trigger. It was the photos that got me. Morale of the story if you can't pick it up and the price is to good to be true than your dealing with a scam.

Thanks for posting this! I had a funny feeling about the whole thing...

Hello,

I have to first say thanks to chaggs1, as it was your post that confirmed the scammers are at it again with another gumtree advert.
I found this forum because I was searching for clues to what I suspected was a scam...
This is the link for the ad at the moment:

TAKAMINE £570 Electro-Acoustic BASS EG512C Jumbo Cutaway + FENDER padded gig bag in Essex, London | Guitars, Guitar Amplifiers for Sale | Gumtree.com

After writing an email to "Helen", I first received an email identical to that in the original post by chaggs1, this is the main section:

----------
Hi Ami,
Don't know if it's been long since you've emailed, I've been out so couldn't follow up on my text message. Can't promise anything but visiting my mum shortly, wouldn't mind making a drop off :)

If you'll send me your postcode I can check out on my satnav the distance to yours.

Reasonable price and accurate description, it's worth the money, no bad surprises. I won't go any lower.
Can be reached on (079) 7342-5052 low signal strength area :( but check emails regularly.
Ta,
Helen.
P.S. Will take cash only.

----------

After "Helen" suggested sending the item for COD, with Parcelforce, I accepted,
although there was no mention of using PAYPOINT until "Helen" wrote again saying that everything was set up for me.
Then I received an email from PARCELFORCE that was FAKE.
This email asks that I pay cash for a PAYPOINT VOUCHER, and then send a scan of the voucher back to the email.
I have not used PAYPOINT before, but I was suspicious for the following reasons:

1) Originally "Helen" had asked said cash only, and offered to deliver (distracting tactic).
2) I offered to pick up the item but "Helen" had said they were working all week, and I was tempted with the offer of Parcelforce delivery for free. She had not mentioned "Paypoint" until the item I was buying was (in theory) already at a Parcelforce warehouse.
3) The email address that sent the fake Parcelforce message is as follows:
> [email protected] <
It did not take me long to find out that parcelforce uses "@parcelforce.co.uk" and so "@post.com" is not a genuine Parcelforce email.
4) I also found out quite quickly that if someone has a "Paypoint" voucher image, that allows them to claim that money instantly anywhere in the UK.

So, luckily I did not rush out and pay £130 and send these scammers the code.
Below are links to the parcelforce email, I did a screen grab and posted these on Flickr in two images:

20120818-fake parcelforce email 01 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

20120818-fake parcelforce email 02 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

chaggs1 - thanks for the post, once again.
Please take care everyone and question everything!
Most importantly remember your position and whose hand the money is in every stage of a transaction!
BUYER BEWARE on the web!

If anyone wants more info please let me know!
Ami.

:thumbsup:

No problem I am glad I could help. I see she lives all over the UK.

Be warned and stay safe:smashin:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom