1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WARNING: EVESHAM EBOX, Noise and Customer Service

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mike261272, Apr 28, 2005.

1. mike261272

mike261272

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I would let the forums know my experience of this system which i bought a week ago. Well, just over (that matters, as you will see..)

Bought it almost solely on the back of the advert describing it as "extremely quiet" and the reviews saying it was quiet as well.

Switched it on. Has to be one of the noisiest PC's ive used. The fans are big, loud and are already tuned down to their slowest speed. Amazing thing is, the noise comes not really from the fans, but from the noise of the fans as they rush through the grills at the edge. Something that would surely have shown in testing ?

Screen does not resize according to aspect ratio, unlike when I used my Hauppauggue DEC200 which cost 80 quid rather than 1000. System also wakes up to do a recording (which is should) but fails to go to sleep again leaving your system on all the time until you come in next.

After a week rang evesham this morning to say system was too noisy. Their website said there was a week cooling off period where it could be refunded. Because i had called the very morning after that week they flatly refused to refund and got very blunt on the phone when i reasonably pointed out they were late in delivery and i was only a few hours behind their deadline. Absolutely would NOT refund it.

So if you do wish to go for one please do. But it is noisy, has one or two bugs / annoying features and has absymal customer service. if your outside the contract by a letter, they wont even touch you.

Mike

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Get a decibel meter, if it claims to be silent it should be <28 dB, extremely quiet should be less than a maximum of about 35 according to popular silent pc suppliers - otherwise find some other defect, if you bought it on a credit card complain to them, or check the law on cooling off periods coz methinks you have 14 days regardless of whether the contract says only 7 or not - contracts cannot go against the law...

3. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Distant selling laws state a product can be returned for full refund with-in 7 (working) days. Interestingly; one area not covered by this law is that of bespoke goods - so if you've ordered say a PC built to your spec rather than an off the shelf pre configured machine then this wouldn't be covered...

Now if goods are faulty, we will refund upto 30days if required - any time past the 30days and it's repaired/replaced.

Now, given it's noisy you may be able to suggest that it is faulty and demand a repair/refund that way

@SeanT - are you sure <28dB is silent? That seems mighty loud to me. I thought it was 21dB ? :s

4. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sale of goods act also states that goods supplied should be fit for purpose. Even if it isnt faulty per se off the bat.....seeing as it is "too noisy" in your opinion, it should be easy to get a refund, especially if you were sold the machine on the assumption/pretence/misleading advertising stating it is silent.

5. Pup

Pup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mike261272, sorry to hear about your experience.

I have had a similar experience with an e-box. Similarly bought largely on the back of the PCW review praising the improvements on the internal fans, "The cooling system has been adjusted to reduce noise".

The system failing to switch off after a recording is a fault. They have admitted this to me over the phone and their support have failed to correct this. Also, it switches itself on for no obvious reason, over night (when I'm not recording), or during the day whilst I'm at work. This is also a fault they could not rectify. Eventually, after about 6 weeks of silly suggestions from the support group, they took it back to confirm the faults before providing a refund. Guess what? They found nothing wrong with it. It works perfectly in their lab, so I have to have it back and they don't have to give a refund.

If they haven't fixed it, as they claim, I have to now wait for the fault to return. My advice would be to get the fault independently confirmed by a local PC shop, in writing before you let them take it away, but it should not do what yours is doing and I believe the "Sale of Goods Act" should cover you. Give your local Trading Standards a call for confirmation before your next move, and good luck. Would like to know how you get on.

6. jon051

jon051
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received my ebox on thursday, very disappointed with it, cosmetic marks on the side of the case, the wireless network card does not work, the power button sticks and the noise of the fans...impossible to watch anything with that noise.

They have agreed that I can send it back, but I have to pay for it to be sent back and make sure it is insured.

Sent another email today, telling them I am not prepared to pay to send it back, as it is damaged/faulty and it's down to them to collect.

I have also contacted bbc watchdog to find out my rights.

:mad: