Warning - Don't Drop Your BluRay BD-R's

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rasczak, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,409
    Interesting article over at CD Freaks discussing physical damage to BluRay discs.

When BluRay launched the 0.1mm structure was feared to be very vulnerable to damage. Thankfully, largely due to a variety of 'hard coats' these fears very much proved to be unfounded. However now a series of 'drop tests' have been conducted. Unfortunately on a number of examples discs have been damaged.

Anyway it's worth a read if for no other reason that to remember not to drop your discs!

2. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    Fortunately, I've rarely ever dropped a disc. :smashin:

Unfortunately, the same can't be said of postie. :thumbsdow

Still, I've had no problems so far, and I bet all my BD imports have been kicked around a bit on their journey from factory, to Amazon, to US mail service, acroos the Atlantic, and finally through the post, and on to my doormat.

Steve W

3. peterweg

peterweg
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Obviously the case protects it while its been shipped.

Which is the point, isn't it?

I tried dropping a CD, its VERY difficult to get it to land edge on unless you throw it hard due to the tendancy of a disc to spin. Another poster in the original thread dropped a Blu-ray from a second floor and could not get the same damage as the OP.

This story sound like more BS.

Also this test was on a BD-R. Recordable and standard media are completely different, the optical layer is stuck onto the opposite side of the disc where as commercial disc's are sandwiched between two plastic layers.

[​IMG]

4. mallet

mallet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    "Don't drop things"
    Useful advice there.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,409
    :rotfl: Very true!

6. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I suppose you've posted a thread in the HD-DVD section giving the same advice? If not, why not? You are soooooo format neutral you don't want to seen to be favouring one format over the other do you? Or are HD-DVD's indestructable now?

I mean how bored are you tonight Rasczak? :rolleyes:

Next you'll be telling us not to drop are BD players, cus they'll smash too. :eek:

Where does the madness end?

How about boiling your HD-DVD's to get them to work.....:rotfl:

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,409
    Well for one reason a thread about the hardcoating coming adrift on HD DVD would be irrelevant as I'm not aware of any discs that use such a coating. But believe me I will start such a thread as and when the problem occurs with that format. :thumbsup:

I am format neutral but I do favour one format over another for numerous reasons that aren't applicable here. I am quite willing to attack either format though - it's just I normally get beaten to it by yourself, FOXCLOSE or the Jaguar when 'bad' HD DVD news comes along.

Not bored at all actually.

I'm sure they do - I'm sure HD DVD players break as well. But dropping discs is something we all do occasionally - do they normally break? Not in my experience.

Believe me when I experience this I will complain about it - unfortunately every single HD DVD disc I own plays without problem in every HD DVD player I own. When one doesn't work, or when one shatters, by god the HD DVD camp can stand by :thumbsup:

8. Drongo

Drongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,332
    I think the subject of Blu-ray’s hard coat is quite interesting.

It does provide BD’s with greater scratch resistance than other optical discs, although that is something of a necessity given that the data layer is very close to the disc surface.

I’ve read some anecdotal evidence to suggest that if you do manage scratch a BD ( I presume it would have to be a ‘sizable scratch’) that’s it - game over for the disc.

The scratch cannot be removed by likes of http://www.scratchdoctor.co.uk/ who can effect a repair to other optical discs.

Also apparently the BD hard coat is one of the many factors that impact on BD production yields. Although that is another subject….

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Blu ray scratch resistant discs are quite good, when I tried a 'Vickers instrument' on them they performed quite well in comparison to CDs, however well behind what I was expecting from a TDK 'hard coat' press releases. Once you get past the coating it is 'end game' however. CD and DVD re much more 'tollerant' of an engineer and Vickers ;) If you want to buff out a scratches a la CD / DVD, FORGET IT. I would like ALL rental discs (HD DVD, Blu ray and DVD) to use scratch resistant coats, it just makes sense to me.

10. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    WARNING - WARNING

Blu-ray discs may not function properly if attacked with a mallet.

And shouting "Load You Bu**er, Load!" will no doubt upset it further.

:lesson:

Official release of the PPFOTRABDJCLTA

11. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Comparing dropping a disc that you may handle every day to dropping a player that you may handle once a year is madness IMO.

-Neil

12. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    LoL.

There was a video on Youtube some months back showing a guy damaging one of his discs to prove how scratch resistant the protective coating realy is. I'll try and find it.

HERE IT IS...

13. peterweg

peterweg
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86

As virtually nobody has BD-R's its a vaild compairison. You are far more likely to drop your blu-ray player that have actually seen a BD-R.

What is madness is comparing BD-R's to Blu-ray discs. Why not extend the warning to HD-DVD's? after all they are round and made of plastic.

14. peterweg

peterweg
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    BD-R's don't have the Blu-ray's scratch resistant coating, do they?

15. peterweg

peterweg
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    BD-R's don't even have the hard coating. This thread is about BD-R's NOT Blu-ray, which are manufactured in a completely different way.

16. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    All that proves is that the ps3 can actually recognise that it's a BD.
    You know even after the first scratches , it's probably not going to play fully without any issues.
    Nice test though :D

17. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Okay just done some testing of my own.

EXPERIMENT #1

OK, I thought id be clever and pulled out one of my two copies of HD Nets Shuttle Discovery's Historic Mission disc's, took it to my tiled Kitchen and dropped it from 8 feet to see what happened....

THE RESULTS:- Nothing, not even a scratch after several try's, so this thread is FUD. Proven!

Now for some more interesting results...

EXPERIMENT #2

Out of morbid curiosity I wondered just how indestructible theses Blu-ray discs really are. The scratch video didn't show any dropping or hard hitting so... I took the disc between my fingers and aimed the disc like a dart at the tiled floor, making sure the edge of the disc hit the floor first.....

THE RESULTS:-

Try one.....nothing.

Try two, even harder.....nothing.

Try three, as hard and as fast as I could............bang!

[​IMG]

So if there is any, ANY, truth to this thread is don't take your Blu-rays aim them directly at the floor at 50mph+ more than twice.

I rest my case.

18. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Here's a close up.

[​IMG]

19. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Jesus , i would have taken that disc off ya:eek:
    Oh well it just proves something made from plastic material can be smashed off a tiled floor.:rotfl:

20. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    With all due respect to the members of these forums, I don't think we can consider any of us claiming to have tried something at home with one disc to be proof of anything.

Steve W

21. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    We'll I'm not going to smash all my disc's just to prove myself right.

I guess some people believe what they want to believe. Some believe what others have proven and some believe what they themselves have proven.

Some people probably wrap there eggs in bubble wrap because at some point in their lives they've dropped an egg and it smashed on the floor.

In the grand scheme of things CD's, HD-DVD and BD's are too light to be broken simply by dropping them from a few feet. It defies the laws a physics for a disc to pick up enough speed over too short a distance to achieve terminal velocity.

Not only that but the aerodynamics of the disc are such, that for the disc to hit the floor directly on it's edge with the weight of it's mass behind it is a virtual impossibility, unless fired from a source.

22. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,468
    I'm not sure how this is any better. Aren't BD-R's aimed at the home computer market? So I store 50Gb of important data on this disk, photos, files, programmes and back ups etc. I'd like to know this data is safe because as I pull my laptop out of its case I'd hate to think it might drag a disk out with it and have it break. Of course we all back up, back-ups etc don't we?

Or is it the home video market? Would it hold my videos of my wedding or kids first steps? Again it seems a good idea to keep copies if this is a problem.

I tend to back up to external hard drives anyway but as someone who has recently had a drive 'go missing' I know the consequences of losing data you thought was safe.

23. Rich777

Rich777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    1. Obviously the OP was an isolated occurance, a bad batch.

2. If something is high on the vickers hardness scale and that small in cross section, expect it to be brittle.

3. Badass :rotfl: thanks m8 :D

24. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I wouldn't smash one to prove myself right.:D

25. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,409
    Yes they do :thumbsup:

BluRay discs use a very different structure to traditional HD DVD/DVDs. The data is much closer to the surface and so therefore the risk of damage is greatly heightened. To compensate for this BluRay uses two options: a plastic caddy to protect the discs or a 'hardcoating'. The latter has been the option adopted by those releasing discs and TDK have pioneered a DURABIS 2 hard coating for their BD-Rs.

Plenty of links all over the net - and I'll leave you to find the precise model of disc used in the test - but a press release highlights that TDK BD-Rs do indeed use their hardcoat.

26. peterweg

peterweg
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Ok, maybe I should have put it another way. BD-R's are completly different for commerical blu-rays, however, BD-R's do use a hardcoating but its utterly irrelavant at this point as this is a BD PLAYERS forum, not BD BURNERS.

The title of this thread is wrong, its garbage to compare BD-R's with standard Blu-rays as they are not the same. They are not comparable.

27. peterweg

peterweg
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Yet a one persons 'test' of a different format and a totally misleading thread title and topic is quite a respectable concideration is it?

This thread is off topic, its about BD-R's. BD-R's are not the same as Blu-ray

28. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    :confused: Who cares..... honestly :rolleyes:

Way to go Badass! :D I hope you were wearing protective gear ;) And since you've advoided showing the front face of that BR I think it's time you came clean and admitted it was actually your launch copy of The Filth Element. ;) :devil:

What the next BR brainiac test !! See if you can find the harmonic frequency to cause all your BR discs to explode simultaneously perhaps?? :rolleyes: :rotfl:

29. peterweg

peterweg
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86

Its better because at this point virtually nobody is using BD-R's and it doesn't affect our film collections (this is the HD players forum, after all). How resliient the BD-R's prove to be in future we will have to see.
    Remember DVD-r and CD-r's are made in the same way and whether the hard coating is better or worse is debatable. Certainly I'd like to see some unbiased testing first.

30. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    I don't see how advising people not to drop their Blu-ray Discs is in any way 'wrong'.

I suggest people don't drop their Blu-ray Discs, HD DVDs, CDs, DVDs, or cheese and onion pasties.

I'm a bit flummoxed here.

Reading back over the thread, this is nothing more than a simple link to a simple article.

It merely advises caution, and I can't find any comments here from anyone that are over the top, or format war-esque, or advising people to abandon BD, or saying that HD DVD is better, or anything other than a little advice that, given the content of the piece linked to, we should be careful not to drop our BD discs.

Hardly earth shattering.

And yet the response has been nothing short of rabid.

Sorry, but stop, take a deep breath, and read the thread again. Nothing anyine has sais is putting down BD in a way to provoke any other response than them just being careful - not at all a bad thing.

No-one is going to stop buying Warner BDs and shift totally to HD DVD, or anything.

Nor should they.

Why the rabid response? It's out of all proportion to what's been posted.
    I know we have our arguments about OTT thread topics. It's just that this isn't one of them.

Steve W

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.