1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WARNING: AE300 JAPANESE Power Lead

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by snocrash, Jan 14, 2003.

1. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do not use the Japanese power lead (2 prong type) that comes with the Japanese Panasonic AE300 projectors.

This is especially important if you are using an isolating transformer (240V to 110V).

The AE300 should use an Earthed power lead (3 prongs both ends) otherwise, in all seriousness, the unit or any other device you connect it to has the likely hood of going pop!

Myself and another electrical engineer are going to try to work out what the japs have done on this occasion and why the product has been sold without an earthed power connector. We'll let you know our views soon.

2. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Snocrash

I've bought a 240v-110v transformer to use with my AE300,using the Jap 2 pin plug.
    Below is a cut and paste of it's specs.
    "A range of portable auto-transformers intended to operate American type 110/120V equipment in the U.K. The output sockets are designed to accept 2- or 3-pin American style plugs. An output fuse is fitted as standard on all models that is appropriate to the auto-transformer rating. The 220/240V input is fitted with 1m of 3-core flex with moulded plug. The auto-transformers use highly efficient toroidal windings and each unit is encapsulated with potting compound (to UL94V) in a robust housing. All types are manufactured to BS7452:1991 and IEC.989:1991, and generate virtually no external magnetic field
    All types are suitable for 220/240V input and 110/120V output.
    Order Max load No. of Dimensions
    code outlets H x D
    VR03D 200VA 1 109 x 103mm"

Could you please give me your opinion on using this. Should I take it back and instead put a U.K. 3 pin plug on it and hope this is OK?
    Thanks in advance.

3. PIPO

PIPO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

4. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it should be ok at 220v but the paranoia over exploding PSU's has made some of us invest a little bit more and
    get a transformer..

If you're just going to use an adapter make sure it's got a 3A fuse fitted :)

D4 is a component input (not RGB unfortunately) that's output by Japanese cable/sat boxes.

Would be interesting to see if the scart connections are available on a header inside the AE300 ;)

-- Jon

5. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not going to comment on the use of varying voltages (i.e., 100 to 250V) -- As this has been covered over and over again... "Apparently" the AE300 (jp) model contains a universal power supply that can take full range of mains supply. This has been written up in all sorts of places and people have quite successfully run their AE300 at 240V.

6. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Robocop et al,

For the electrical safety of the projector and also the safety of any equipment that you plug into the projector I would strongly recommend a full three prong mains lead. Three prongs at the project side and three prongs at the electricity point (or step-down transformer). This goes for any voltage you intend to use.

As for the step-down transformer (240>110) you have, it sounds very similar to the one I have... and if it has been engineered correctly, it will have a three-connector 110V socket. Basically I suggest you source an earthed lead (3 prong) to plug into the transformer and into the projector. This might be something a little tricky to find -- The other alternative is to have a electrician attach the three prong U.S. (or jap) plug onto the end of the power lead that comes with the projector.

In the interim... to play it safe, ensure that all your equipment is plugged in and all connected in full prior to turning on the projector. (i.e., don't plug stuff in and out of the projector while its on and while your using a non-earthed power lead)

It's very unlikely that anything will go wrong using a non-earth lead (as it's sold to thousands of japanese customers like that) ... It's just that I have a degree of experience in electrical engineering and I prefer to do it that right way.

For the time being, I'm still trying to research the mains-electricity standards in Japan to understand why those nut-cases use non-earth leads.

anyhow... As the subject says... its just a caution/warning.... not something that will likely blow your projector up first go.

7. Harb

Harb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most consumer electronic equipment in AU is Double insulated and has a floating earth.........
    Very few Mains leads on smaller gear such as HIFI, TV's and many others have no conection to earth via the mains leadin.
    This is why most service workshops use Mains Isolation transformers in an attempt to protect themselves to some degree.
    The Socket on the AE-300 may not even be attached to anything inside..................
    I must add that without seeing the circuit diagram it is difficult to tell if the projector must be earthed.
    But if it does, a path to ground may be made through input leads such as found on the back of the projector, ie Video in etc......

Food fo thought

John

PS I am running my AE-300 through a 240 to 110 volt stepdown transformer at the moment, with the standard 2 prong lead, with no problems so far.

8. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just knew someone would bring this up... ok, here goes...

You are very correct Harb, modern electrical items with floating earth can pass the relevant authority certification in almost all developed countries by using double insulation (and a range of other safety measures.

This is fine for electrical goods which are completely isolated and not being connected to any other device. Here's the text book answer: Because the secondary power rails inside the projector are not being correctly coupled to earth, the entire projector electronics (quite sensitive) can float to any voltage potential above or below earth (ground) [static charges would raise the potential several thousand volts] --- Now, when you plug this poor bugger into a PC or other correctly earthed item you immediately get an electrical discharge which can (with sensitive micro-electronics) cause a diabolical range of side-effects.

It's interesting to note that in the U.S. AE300 manual, they go to great lengths to point out that you MUST NOT use a non-earth lead... I'm assuming they use idential powersupply as Japan.

Lastly, I have confirmed that the earth lead on the AE300 (Japanese model) is actually connected to the AE300 chassis. I have not varified that the powersupply is capacitively couple to earth, but I'd be totally amazed if it wasn't.

9. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    In very simple English, the last statement means what?

10. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Robocop,

To be on the safe side (and it'll do no harm either) -- Just make sure everthing is all connected together before powering up the AE300 (I'm using it through a step-down transformer myself).
    (i.e., PC, DVD, hifi gear... all plugged into to the projector and mains -- Power on the projector last)

11. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    snocrash

Thanks for the speedy reply.
    I notice from your post, that you are using a step down transformer yourself. May I ask if you are using this with the standard Jap 2 pin plug lead (as supplied), if you are going to continue using it,or have you done something different?
    I'm sorry for all the questions,but from I'm sure there's plenty of people out there in the same boat.
    Regards
    :)

12. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes I am using a 240>115 isolation transformer -- and ironically after opening the transformer up, we've discovered that it isn't earthed either.

Because there's a thousand ways to skin a cat... I'm not going to go into how to solve the problem for everyone's individual case.

Here is what you have to achieve -- and if this requires you to find a friend or someone who is fully qualified in electrical engineering, then so be it) ::

It is advisable to have the AE300 Projector earthed -- i.e., The earth pin on the projector is carried all the way back and earthed on the mains system

That's it in a nutshell -- How you achieve it is another matter... If you are like me and the transformer (110V socket) isn't even earthed -- I'm gonna have to have the transformer modified (minor job - BUT DONT DO IT if you aint qualified) and going to use a 3 prong power lead for the projector ... Or if you are using the AE300 into an aussie 240V mains socket, then simply make sure all 3 prongs are wired up properly... etc.. etc.. etc.. the list goes on.
    Find someone who knows about this stuff ... print this thread and show them --

13. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    snocrash

Again many thanks for all the info. I think this thread has come to it's conclusion now.
    Regards:)

14. Harb

Harb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear in mind that if the projector was never meant to be earthed,
    You may have all sorts of trouble with Earth Leakage Circuit breakers tripping etc etc.......Not desirable if it happens During a movie and the fans etc go off line and the panels are still hot.

Be careful.....
    Just food for thought
    John

15. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    (as per my earlier post)
    Every country I've checked earths their AE300's...
    (NZ, UK, US, France and Spain)
    and I've confirmed it is earthed to chassis.

16. merc

merc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im kind of confused here.What shoiuld i do when my AE300 gets here in Melbourne.
    Go buy a 3 prong plug.Or a step down thingy.Or am i supposed to take it to someone and wire up the earth of the AE 300 power connector.
    Is the plug enough or do i need to do more?

17. Harb

Harb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I guess the final decision is up to you,
    But I am in AU as well, and I have had 1 unit fail, So this time round, Purely as a precautionary measure, I am running a 500VA 240 to 110v transformer with the original power lead (2 Prongs) that plugs straight in without any adaptors at all.
    This unit has just clocked up 70hrs with no problems.
    The Mains input into the Projector is Not Earthed in this setup.

Good Luck
    John

18. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Read this entire thread -- There is plenty of adequate information for you to make an informed decision.

19. merc

merc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    O.K,you have stated that the AE300 is earthed to chassis.Does this mean if i buy a three prong cord and plug it in,the AE300 will be earthed correctly.Or does something have to be done to the inside of the projector.
    I think from what i have read so far,that ill buy a earthed transformer(theres a little electrical shop close to home with a very cluey guy) and a three prong plug.
    Is this a good way to protect my AE300 in youre opinion?

Mark

20. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It appears from a an initial investigation that the three point mains connector on the actual projector is correctly wired and earthed.

A transformer is also sensible. But make sure that the transformer's secondary output (the ~110V side) is actually earthed... sometimes they aren't. In this case you'll need to use a different power cord than the one that comes with the projector (as it isn't earthed, it is a 2 wire type, not 3).

21. merc

merc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    O.K.
    I think i understand it better now.thanks for ur help.

Cheers
    Mark

22. merc

merc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to Jaycar today to buy the transformer.But fount they come in a variety of wattages.What wattage transformer do i need to get.
    They had a sale on a 250 watt unit.It was earthed aswell.
    Expecting the projector to come tommorow.

Mark

23. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The english AE300 manual clearly states on page 59 that it is rated at 100V to 240V. I have been running mine for about 2 months at 240V without problem. The previous AE100 model had an inherent PSU problem that caused it to fail. You do NOT require a step down transformer for the AE300...

Xander

24. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    xandar is correct, a 240>>110 converter is not mandatory.

Anyhow, a 250VA transformer is adequate... 250W does not = 250VA ... if the transformer is only rated in watts get a 300W or greater...

25. merc

merc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 3 pin earthed Aus cord from Dick Smith.Do u think this will be sufficient.
    What does VA stand for in 250va

mark

26. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can't answer your question about the Australian power lead as I have yet to try my AE300 on a 240V mains. From reading these forums, many people have and it would appear to work.

As for VA, you'll regret you asked --- It's a measure of power before any power-factor corrections are taken into account. It technically is an abreviation for "Volt-Amps" --- Any competant electrical store will know what it means.

27. Harb

Harb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Japanese Manual Which comes with this projector Clearly states that the Projector is for use in JAPAN ONLY in bold letters............

Which do you believe?

Sorry, I'm I'm not trying to be a smart ar..se but until I see all of the Caps etc in the power supply (After the warranty runs out) Mine will continue to run on 110volts

AU is one of the few countries that runs such high mains voltages.
    We monitor incoming voltages on a daily basis in our workshops and the charts often show voltages up to 270volts!!
    Now depending on how much tolerance is designed into the power supply on this Version (Japanese) of the AE300....maybe this can contribute to some of the problems.
    Mine has now clocked up nearly 100hrs......still sweet.

Good luck everyone.
    John
    Just a footnote, I went into a shop today that had various projectors on display........I am very glad I picked the AE300.....

28. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    100hrs -- you psycho :clown:

29. Harb

Harb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just can't get enough!!;)

30. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    Because its a Japanese projector for sale in Japan. Half of my PS2 and Gamecube discs have the same notice on the cases, but they work fine. Its just a retail/licensing thing.