Warning about Shinco and Play.com customer service


Standard Member
In October last year I bought a Shinco SDP-1280 10.2" Multi Region Portable widescreen DVD from play.com for GBP270. Two weeks ago it failed. It has a 12 month guarantee but it seems now that this is pretty much worthless.

Play.com customer service are only reachable by phone and as I'm in Ireland (the DVD player was bought for my dying father in UK) the phone number doesn't work.

So I got my brother to ring them. They say you have to contact Shinco and get a reference number from them. So I found an email address for Shinco and sent emails off but have heard nothing. TBH I dont expect to either.

Play.com might be OK for CD/DVDS/Games but I wont be buying any consumer electronics off Play.com again, ever.


Remind Play of the law. You deal with them not the manufacturer.



Q6. Is it true that I have to complain to the manufacturer?

No. You bought the goods from the trader, not the manufacturer, and the trader is liable for any breaches of contract (unless he was acting as the manufacturer's agent).

Office of Fair Trading:


No excuses
The law says it's up to the seller to deal with complaints about defective goods or other failures to comply with your statutory rights. Don't accept the excuse that 'it's the manufacturer's fault,' although you might also have additional rights against the manufacturer under a guarantee. See also 'things to watch out for' about exclusion clauses – the small print that tries to limit a trader's responsibilities under a contract.

Trading Standards


The contract

When a consumer purchases goods and/or services from a trader, both consumer and trader are entering into a legally binding contract.

Q. The manufacturer offers a guarantee; can the trader refer the consumer straight to that manufacturer? A. Remember that the consumer's statutory rights are with the trader. A guarantee offered by the manufacturer is in addition to such rights. A consumer can choose whether he/she pursues the trader or the manufacturer. However, the trader in turn may have rights against his/her supplier.



My daughter's trainers have broken. Should I take my complaint up with the shop or the manufacturers?

You should take the matter up with the shop, since your contract is with them. Given that the rubber sole has started to come away within one week of purchase, the trainers don't appear to be of satisfactory quality.

The shop has, therefore, breached Section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act. If the shoes can't be repaired, or if they're your daughter's only pair of shoes, you'd be entitled to a replacement pair of shoes (if available). If not, you should at least be entitled to an appropriate price reduction or refund (taking into account wear and tear).

Note this does not stop you choosing to deal with the manufacturer. Just remember you don't have to.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom