Warner's High-Def Disc Guru Exits Post

Sonic67

Ex Member
Reaction score
"In the week's latest high-def stunner, Warner Home Video's next-gen guru Steve Nickerson has announced he will step down.

A senior vp at Warner, Nickerson was arguably the most visible executive in the high-def disc space, and a passionate cheerleader for the studio's dual-format stance."

Source: HighdefDigest.

Significant or nothing at all?

Oohhh.... this will get the rumour mill going again.. ;) It may be to make way for a change of direction and a switch to HD-DVD exclusive... I guess it's more important who replaces him?? And what happens next, but it appears the pace of change hasn't stalled. :clap::clap:

Could this really be over by Xmas? :eek:

I'm gonna try and stay calm, but it's all looking good for HD-DVD IMO.

Shame I'm going to be away this weekend, perhaps someone could TXT me the score this evening... :devil:

I think we're firmly stuck with a dual format future now.

I can't see Fox or Sony backing down, especially when dual-format players can be made enabling them to carry on without losing face.

I ahve it on good authority, he has simply been made a better offer.

It does not really matter why he's gone, new job, better offer etc etc.

What's important is there will be a "new guy", and we all know new guys like to make a name for themselves early on......

If i had just taken up a new job as director of high definition movies, would i fancy being the person to effectively end the war in my first week in the job?

I ahve it on good authority, he has simply been made a better offer.

I have it on good authority that they did scissors/paper/stone (best of 7) and decided to go LaserDisc only, and he resigned is disgust.

Sorry, but do you have any link whatsoever to suggest that your 'good authority' is any more valid than mine?

The link says an announcement will be made soon about what he's doing next, and I'm sure if he takes a job as anything other than cleaning the toilets you'll be saying "I told you so".

It does not really matter why he's gone, new job, better offer etc etc.

What's important is there will be a "new guy", and we all know new guys like to make a name for themselves early on......

If i had just taken up a new job as director of high definition movies, would i fancy being the person to effectively end the war in my first week in the job?

If the new bloke decides to go BD-only he'll have balls of brass!

Steve W

Wasn't this guy who introduced TotalHD Disc at CES 2007?

Hope WB goes HD DVD Exclusive now :)

I have it on good authority that Warner will have seen the P decision.

If thats whats decided that you do, dont you just get on with it.

There are two minor studio's who are HD-DVD exclusive and the three top studio's are Blu-ray exclusive. This is the definition of HD-DVD winning???

Sony, Fox and Disney will not support HD-DVD, they don't have to and the security risk is to high. As fro WB, it depends how long they are paid, as paramount are out of business for 18months anything up to that time isn't going to make any more difference to the hiatus.

This guy that is alleged to be leaving was a big pusher of HD DVD even though Warner were neutral, could it be that Warner have decided to go exclusive, but to the other side...BD?

This guy that is alleged to be leaving was a big pusher of HD DVD even though Warner were neutral, could it be that Warner have decided to go exclusive, but to the other side...BD?

err.

no !

:confused:

Nickolson joined a little late, after the initial HD DVD stance I seem to remember, and was all for dual format.

There are two minor studio's who are HD-DVD exclusive and the three top studio's are Blu-ray exclusive. This is the definition of HD-DVD winning???

Sony, Fox and Disney will not support HD-DVD, they don't have to and the security risk is to high. As fro WB, it depends how long they are paid, as paramount are out of business for 18months anything up to that time isn't going to make any more difference to the hiatus.

Let's have less of these types of posts please..... Paramount and Universal are anything but small!

This is the HD DVD forum so lets have less of the sour grapes from the BD angle, if you have something to say please do it without the BD attacking slant otherwise the thread gets closed and we stiffle good discussion.

Maybe he goes to Disney and "make them a deal they can't refuse", format neutral :rotfl:
Or better HD DVD exclusive :devil:
No i don't think so.
But you know, there is always suprises.

There are two minor studio's (Universal and Paramount) who are HD-DVD exclusive...

:rotfl:

peterweg, in a long, long line of hilarious statements, that one is the funniest yet.

Please keep it up.

Steve W

What! Did you even seen rhe differences HD DVD / BD of 300?

The 300 HD DVD kicks BD a**

Even the Transformers director said it was great.

err.

no !

:confused:

Nickolson joined a little late, after the initial HD DVD stance, I seem to remember and was all for dual format.

Rest of the article:
"We have received word from a reliable source that the Senior Vice President of Market Management for Warner Home Video, Stephen Nickerson has stepped down from his position. During his tenure, Mr. Nickerson was an outspoken proponent of HD DVD, though Warner Brothers does release titles on both Blu-ray and HD DVD. No word on his successor, or if Warner will change it stance on high definition releases. "

Now yes all I am doing is reading between the lines and guessing - but hey that's what everyone else is doing - but what if he was told that Warner were to do BD exclusive and his support of HD made him resign?

I do however have it on good authority from an industry friend that we really need to wait for Cedia US and IFA Europe for the real news - we will just have to wait and see I guess.

Wow, you really should re-read your posts before hitting that submit button mate, they sound horribly bitter.

btw...its nice to speculate but...

Amir has stated his departure is nothing to do with "the format war".

Well, it wasn't until he begins next job at...
Yes, pure speculation it is:spam:

Amir is a really nice bloke, I have met and interviewed him in the past for the podcast, however he is unlikely to say anything but what he has quoted.

Things are heating up and it really is interesting what is happening at the moment, but I guess if there is to be any further huge announcements or news that will determine what is happening with both camps, it will be at the upcoming trade shows, like I said lets wait and see what happens - if anything.

BTW, it's my job to read between the lines and I can't help myself sometimes, it is likely my comments are miles off, but it's fun to speculate sometimes ;)

Rest of the article:
"We have received word from a reliable source that the Senior Vice President of Market Management for Warner Home Video, Stephen Nickerson has stepped down from his position. During his tenure, Mr. Nickerson was an outspoken proponent of HD DVD, though Warner Brothers does release titles on both Blu-ray and HD DVD. No word on his successor, or if Warner will change it stance on high definition releases. "

Now yes all I am doing is reading between the lines and guessing - but hey that's what everyone else is doing - but what if he was told that Warner were to do BD exclusive and his support of HD made him resign?

I do however have it on good authority from an industry friend that we really need to wait for Cedia US and IFA Europe for the real news - we will just have to wait and see I guess.

Original news, same site that rumoured the P decision.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/home_entertainment/video/e3ic5e5748d210215482fe5e2abfedf8b53

Amir is a really nice bloke, I have met and interviewed him in the past for the podcast, however he is unlikely to say anything but what he has quoted.

Things are heating up and it really is interesting what is happening at the moment, but I guess if there is to be any further huge announcements or news that will determine what is happening with both camps it will be at the upcoming trade shows, like I said lets wait and see what happens - if anything.

BTW, it's my job to read between the lines and I can't help myself sometimes, it is likely my comments are miles off, but it's fun to speculate sometimes ;)

Phil , I like the speculation, hell without the "betweens" its pretty dull round here ;)

Shame this thread had to be moved...

Be interesting to know who will replace him and their views on the war... does anyone know when/if there will be an offical press release about who's taking over???

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom