1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warner Home Video

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by arthurd, Jan 6, 2002.

1. arthurd

arthurd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings!

Does anyone know how to contact, send a message etc to Warner Home Video? I have got (so far) two Warner distributed DVDs but nowwhere can i find any contact details.

Also, I notice there is a confusion in shops and online lists about the medium. Too many places call them "Video" and "DVD" when *both* are video (one is a tape -VHS, the other a disc -DVD.
    It does make it hard to discover which medium a wanted title is on! Why don't they say "VHS" and "DVD" ?

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Arthur,

Hi. Welcome to the HCC forums. Hope you enjoy your visit here.

You asked: "Does anyone know how to contact, send a message etc to Warner Home Video?"

Yes. Their address is: Warner Bros. Productions, 98 Theobald's Road, London, WC1X 8WB. You can also phone them on (0207-984-5400).

You then went on to list a so-called "confusion" about DVD's and Videos. You are actually wrong. They are NOT both "video". Video refers solely to material recorded onto (or from) tape, film or cassettes.

The reason that most online places divide their film sections into "Video" and "DVD" is purely to alert shoppers/consumers that some material is available on "videotape" and others on "DVD's" (or Digital Versatile Discs". This division, should not make shopping for a title difficult. Surely you know whether or not what format you want a specific item in, don't you?

It's no different to shops dividing books into "hardbacks" and "paperbacks", or "fiction" and "non-fiction".

Sorry to disagree with you, but I don't understand how such a simple separation of formats makes things so difficult for you (or anyone else for that matter).

Pooch

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't want to get too picky so soon, but I have always thought of both as video as well? ie "VHS Video" and "DVD Video". I thought the dvd and vhs bits were simply the "format" of the video?

I don't know where the confusion when buying comes from though? I always find it best to "look with my eyes" and the size of the box is sometimes a good way to tell.

4. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry, but all I can say is "Who Cares" :confused: :confused: :confused:

5. arthurd

arthurd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou "Pooch" for Warner's contact details. I wonder why the company is so reticent about it on its products, and i didn't find it on its website either.

On the other point, I tghink you may care to revise your statement. If you look carefully at the logo, you will see that it is DVD Video.... So I maintain that the correct designation of the two formats is DVD and VHS, *both* being "video".

As to being confusing, some of the onlione (and even printed) catalogues do not make it clear which format is available, especially if only one version is. And whne both are, the catalogue numbers give little hint either. I even queried this with one company and the guy responsible for that catalogue was big enough to agree with me! Anyway, thankyou for your reply.

Having only recently bought a DVD player, my library is now increasing, I do not wish to acquire any further VHS versions, especially with "Collectors Editions" and "Director's Cut" bring available.

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Arthur,

You are right, as the logo does indeed say "DVD video". However, technically, it's not correct, for the reasons I mentioned previously.

Pooch

7. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Always one to join in with something quite trivial:

From what I understand of it, calling DVD a 'video', is like calling a CD a 'record'. I.E. innaccurate.

A great waste of 15 seconds of my life that was.

8. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Record merely refers to the fact it is a recording, one is on a CD, the other on a vinyl disc (LP etc)

Video refers to picture information (from the Latin 'to see'), one is on disc, be it Laser CDV or DVD, the other on tape. DVD's are video (assuming they are not DVD-ROM or DVD-Audio. It is quite correct to call the format on which we are discussing video, in this case DVD-Video.

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,766
    Actually, using the word "Video" as a synonym for VHS or Tape is misuse of the word. VHS tapes, Betamax Tapes, Laserdics, VCDs and DVDs are all types of vid........

Oh, who cares.

Two words keep springing into my head for no explicable reason. "Retentive" and "Anal".

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about this, but does anyone know what the 'v' in 'vhs' stands for, anyway?