Warner Brothers HD-DVD's Disk Rot

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been reading on the net that Warner Bros. HD DVDs may have an issue with disc rot. So far I've had Superman and Batman Begins fail on me, both WB discs. Last night when I sat down to watch Batman again its stuttered and froze, eventually crashing the player....same with Superman a few months back which I replaced.

I read over on the US AVS forum that WB are replacing discs for people with this issue. Anyone have any similar problems, or know of the contact details of WB in the UK to see if they will honour replacements?

not had an issue with Superman or Batman i have with other discs though, this is first i have heard of this issue. it may be your laser failing easy cheap 10 quid fix as well.

I had issues with my ep 30 from new lots of disks stoping and skipping , got an xe1 now and not had one problem , watched batman again the other night

Superman would stutter on the same place on both my players, but I haven't tried Batman on the other player yet. I think its a disc rather than player issue. I have emailed WB - see what they say!

Let us no how you get on ;)

No joy with Batman on xbox hd drive, awful stuttering and freezing! If I don't hear from warners I may just pick up a cheap replacement on here or amazon

Result !!! Been in email communication with WB Home Video department and they have agreed to replace my two faulty discs ! Excellent service I thought ! They should be here next week, so will see if they are actually new HD DVDs or even blu rays!!! Will update once they've come through!

Result !!! Been in email communication with WB Home Video department and they have agreed to replace my two faulty discs ! Excellent service I thought ! They should be here next week, so will see if they are actually new HD DVDs or even blu rays!!! Will update once they've come through!

Isn't it great when a bit of good old fashioned customer service appears! :)

Absolutely....a breath of fresh air! Hopefully none of my other WB discs start to fail or they may get fed up of me :)

:thumbsup: great news , you could post the details here just in case anyone else has disc issues, was there any imperfections on the disc's as well i.e like disc rot?

Quick update, package arrived yesterday from Warners - they actually replaced both discs with the Bluray equivalent ! Wasn't expecting that, but I suppose there are no new discs of those movies on HD DVD anymore. At least the blurays should last the term !

Will post the contact details for anyone else that may have problems once I'm back home as I don't have their contact details to hand.

Any chance of the contact details for who you dealt with for the dodgy discs.

I tried watching 300 the other evening for the first time in years and it stuttered and refused to play :thumbsdow

Got nothing to lose, so i'll see if i get anywhere

any visible marks on the disc mate and what chapters were they? not cranked up the XE1 for a bit but i will try that disc.

There are no visible marks on the disc. It freezes and fails within the first 30 seconds of playback. My Terminator 3 disc is marked with a cloudy / milky appearance though.

I've mailed WB and await their response :)

thanks mate, looked at my disc last night it was perfect not got T3.

stevefish69 said:
Any chance of the contact details for who you dealt with for the dodgy discs.

I tried watching 300 the other evening for the first time in years and it stuttered and refused to play :thumbsdow

Got nothing to lose, so i'll see if i get anywhere

Sorry guys forgot to add details - will dig em out and post here

EDIT - here we go, this is the address that WB contacted me from once I sent an email through their customer service area:

[email protected]

A nice lady called Diane helped me. I have her address also if you don't get any joy from the WB one.

Good luck, hopefully they sort you out ! I'm afraid to start trying some of my other WB discs incase they are also suffering....they may get fed up of us looking for replacements !

Last edited:
Excellent! My Batman Begins hasn't been playing properly recently either, despite being in perfect condition. I thought it might be my HD-DVD player (despite never having had an issue before) so I might e-mail them.

I got a free Blu Ray replacement for my 300 Disc that would not play - ill be keeping a close eye on my other WB discs and will get straight on their case if I have anymore problems :)

....well looks like I'm getting this problem again. Sat down to watch 300 again and it failed abut 30mins in !! So I started to test my other WB discs and had other problems:

- The Island (dead, won't load)
- Swordfish (dead, won't load)
- Casablanca (stutters but plays)
- V for Vendetta (stuttered then stopped, but I can skip chapter and rest plays fine)
- Oceans Eleven (little stutter)
- Unforgiven (wouldn't play on 360 but fine on PC)
- 300 (fails at certain points)

Strangely all the ones that were really bad are european / UK based, i.e. fat cases !!

I've emailed WB again to see if they are still honouring this. Will keep you all updated !!

just tried Swordfish, Oceans Eleven,300 and there running fine but i am legend,we are Marshall and blood diamond give errors or not play i will try that email and see how it goes.

just tried Swordfish, Oceans Eleven,300 and there running fine but i am legend,we are Marshall and blood diamond give errors or not play i will try that email and see how it goes.

I watched my "I am Legend" the other week (combo version) and it played fine !! It just seems to be hit and miss with these, no pattern !! Perhaps I need a big hard drive to start ripping anything that still works to ?

I watched my "I am Legend" the other week (combo version) and it played fine !! It just seems to be hit and miss with these, no pattern !! Perhaps I need a big hard drive to start ripping anything that still works to ?

this is my 2nd I am Legend as well, might be worth cleaning then some of the discs seem a bit cloudy as well and one did clean up well, sent an email but got no answer yet:(
well you can get some big drives now this is not a bad 3TB drive WD as well Western Digital 3Tb WD30EZRX SATA 3 Caviar Green Hard Drive - Scan.co.uk

Got an email from the contact I used last time - saying she'll pass my request to WB to see what they'll do about it. Fingers crossed !

Donnacha you had any other emails from WB yet ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom