Warner Bros to release Blu-Ray DVDs!

This is exactly the kind of thing we don't want. All this will do is cause confusion among the vast majority of the public - the ones that decide whether any new format sinks or swims. It's Quaudraphonic, VHS vs. Beta or SACD vs. DVD-A all over again.

Format wars like this risk killing off new technologies before they have found their feet. The most recent example is the Hi-Res audio formats, with both SACD and DVD-A now virtually extinct through a combination of bickering over rival formats and lousy marketing.

And pardon me if I'm not reassured that Sony -yet again- is a key player in all of this. SQ discs, Betamax and SACD anyone?

This should make a format war less likely. Now all the U.S. studios are supporting Blu-Ray (except Universal) and half of those are supporting it exclusively, so the amount of Blu-Ray on the shelves with far out number HD-DVD. For anyone walking into a shop and seeing stack of Blu-Ray disks and only a hand-full of HD-DVDs it would be an easier decision.

I still don't like Blu-Ray's multilayered copyright protection though. They will be practically sending someone around to your house to keep an eye on you everytime you want to play something :rolleyes:

Don't assume anything. When I was in the USA in the early days of pre-recorded video, the stores were overflowing with Betamax tapes with a few of these bigger, clumsier looking VHS thingies fighting for shelf space.

Within six or seven years Betamax was extinct.

The Betamax comparison is irrelevant because when people want to buy HD versions their favourite films and can only get them on Blu Ray. Which format are they likely to go with? If I was in the market when the new formats are released I would go with Blu Ray because you know that HD DVD is never going to have every film available on it. Warner Brothers publicly announcing they will support both formats is a huge coup and in time Universal will follow.

I do however have my concerns about the copy protection systems potentially being able to disable the players. I also don't like the idea of having to have an internet connection just to keep watching products I have paid for. For me privacy could become an issue because big brother has no right to know what I'm watching and when I'm watching it

I have my doubts over this causing issues....

As with SACD and DVD-A, the VAST MAJORITY of punters don't care.....they cant hear the difference on their Alba stereos and therefore couldn't give a monkeys.

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray I see going the same way - Joe Public doesn't care, he has just grudgingly bought a DVD player in the last 2 years and is still miffed he has to buy an "expensive DVD players" to record eastenders.....

IMO, bothe Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will both fail and its no-ones fault.....just the vast majority of the public isn't ready for a new tech and associated cost.

west said:
I do however have my concerns about the copy protection systems potentially being able to disable the players. I also don't like the idea of having to have an internet connection just to keep watching products I have paid for. For me privacy could become an issue because big brother has no right to know what I'm watching and when I'm watching it

I agree completely. This is the reason why I will be waiting a long time before I go near Blu-Ray. Hopefully they will eventually wake up and disable all the protection.

shaithis said:
HD-DVD and Blu-Ray I see going the same way - Joe Public doesn't care, he has just grudgingly bought a DVD player in the last 2 years and is still miffed he has to buy an "expensive DVD players" to record eastenders.....

IMO, bothe Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will both fail and its no-ones fault.....just the vast majority of the public isn't ready for a new tech and associated cost.

I agree with this too. Part of what makes DVD successful, because the disks are a lot more easy to control/store for a viewer (no rewinding etc.) . This won't be an advantage with either HD format. I don't see many people who aren't collectors (and that's the majority of people) raving about the improved quality.

i agree - blue ray/HD-DVD could well fail in the short term because there will not be many people prepared to make the financial outlay

the same could be said for HD tv - i know dozens of people with sky and not one has even expressed any interest - its the prospect of changing tvs and additional sky costs which put people off

lets face it SD plasma's are still out of most peoples price range - let alone HD ones

imo - all in all the HD formats will only make major headway when they are available free from BBC/ITV etc on terrestrial tv

west said:
The Betamax comparison is irrelevant because when people want to buy HD versions their favourite films and can only get them on Blu Ray. Which format are they likely to go with? If I was in the market when the new formats are released I would go with Blu Ray because you know that HD DVD is never going to have every film available on it. Warner Brothers publicly announcing they will support both formats is a huge coup and in time Universal will follow.
The point is not whether those tiltes are available or not, it is rather the consequences of the confusion that two rival formats may cause among the general public. We have to think outside our little "AV bubble". We are informed yes, but enthusiasts like ourselves are in a tiny minority.

The people that will decide the success or failure of a Hi-Def disc format are not the AV buffs, but the average punter that wouldn't know a Blu-Ray from Ray Charles. The same punters whose sole concern re. AV "quality" is can they buy it for £50 in Dixons or Woolworths?

First of all for the format to become successful it will have to be perceived (emphasis on "perceived") as a quantum leap forward from what is currently available. The vast majority of the public that own a DVD player have never seen a decent quality DVD player in action, or heard a quality 5.1 system in action. Nor do they care if they do or not.

In addition, most are watching on screens where the benefit of Hi-Def is not going to be noticeable (or indeed compatible). DVD was successful with the public because of the perceived differences in quality, portability, durability, flexibility and ease of use compared to VHS. All the same reasons why CD was such a perceived improvement over vinyl in the public's mind.

To the majority of the market the new HD formats will be just a DVD with a different name, nothing more, offering no more advantage -in their view- than what they have at the minute. They will be perfectly happy with the quality they get from a standard DVD on their 28" TV set and will not see any reason to splash out on a new piece of hardware let alone start replacing discs.

I really want Hi-Def DVD to succeed as a format, but I'm far from reassured that it's a done deal.

In case you think I'm being unduly pessemistic, consider this. A year or so ago I put the exact same argument over the potential for failure of Hi-Def audio, based on a combination of total indifference from the public married to confusion over competing formats. Many dismissed my fears as totally unfounded or even naysaying, and that everyone would see the light and embrace the superb quality of these improved new formats, blah, blah, blah...

A year later SACD and DVD-A releases have slowed to something less than a trickle. Indeed Sony seems to have quietly abandoned SACD altogether (apparently the future is now DualDisc-shaped folks - so buy, buy, buy! :rolleyes: ). R.I.P. Hi-Def audio. :(

Bear in mind that Sony, Toshiba et al aren't producing these new formats so that we can all enjoy the benefits and pleasures of superior quality AV. Their prime reason for producing them is so we will buy new hardware and then re-buy the same software we've bought several times before.

If HD DVD and / or Blu Ray aren't embraced -and quickly- by Joe and Josephine public, superior quality or not, they will be dropped like hot-potatoes by the manufacturers, just like SACD and DVD-A have been.

That is why the last issue we need to muddy the waters and threaten uptake is yet another format war.

It appears that in the time I was typing up that post, that a few more "naysayers "have emerged.

So it's not just me then? :D

the_pauley said:
It appears that in the time I was typing up that post, that a few more "naysayers "have emerged.

So it's not just me then? :D

indeed not :D

i want the format/s to suceed but to be honest even i'm not prepared to start laying out heavy cash at the moment

and i thank my lucky stars that i got an SD panny plasma and did not bother with the HD - just read the moans and groans of HD owners :( before they even receive an HD signal :D

it struck me as somewhat strange to even consider a plasma offering HD when there is no HD as yet available (ok via pc) - even sky cannot give a start date :confused:

I think (!) a few things may be being missed here...

The comparison to Audio is not really valid in my opinion... the market that matters initially to most of these companies is the US... the term 'HD' is now well known in the US and rising rapidly everyday... it's all over there major networks... the TV programmes... the sports...

Next the americans have and are used to big TV's... they can already and will see the HD difference... therefore HD is going to happen stateside...

I dont think a format war or audio comparisons are going to stop it... americans will start buying one format and it will win...

Then the fall out will happen and the 'rest' of us will get which ever format won the US war....

I dont think SACD or DVD-A were on display on american TV's nearly everyday...

Mark.

oh goody warner. what suspect and shockingly bad releases will get on the new format - maybe they can come up with a box that we all hate too :D

Gary

VintageMark said:
I think (!) a few things may be being missed here...

The comparison to Audio is not really valid in my opinion... the market that matters initially to most of these companies is the US... the term 'HD' is now well known in the US and rising rapidly everyday... it's all over there major networks... the TV programmes... the sports...

Next the americans have and are used to big TV's... they can already and will see the HD difference... therefore HD is going to happen stateside...

I dont think a format war or audio comparisons are going to stop it... americans will start buying one format and it will win...

Then the fall out will happen and the 'rest' of us will get which ever format won the US war....

I dont think SACD or DVD-A were on display on american TV's nearly everyday...

Mark.

thats actually a very good point BUT the us already has HD widely available and its a hell of a lot cheaper than sky

in the uk with sky currently the yet to be sole supplier of HD things will happen a lot slower - and as you say the us consumer is already large screen aware whereas i imagine uk average size is 26/28" (tv's :eek: )

as regards blu ray/HD DVD - sure the battle will be won in the usa and we'll get what they decide :D

Aren't we forgetting something about Sony though - seeing as they are behind some major movie studios, maybe they will release a standard Blu ray disc and then later re-release the same movie as a Superbit Blu ray disc. :eek:
What do you reckon Pauley lol!!!

the_pauley said:
And pardon me if I'm not reassured that Sony -yet again- is a key player in all of this. SQ discs, Betamax and SACD anyone?

What about mini disc? :D

Mr Jolly said:
Aren't we forgetting something about Sony though - seeing as they are behind some major movie studios, maybe they will release a standard Blu ray disc and then later re-release the same movie as a Superbit Blu ray disc. :eek:
What do you reckon Pauley lol!!!
I'll put money on it! :D

Gary D said:
oh goody warner. what suspect and shockingly bad releases will get on the new format - maybe they can come up with a box that we all hate too :D

Gary
If we're really lucky with the extra dozen or so Gb available, we might even get a DTS soundtrack!!!

:)

Mr Jolly said:

Yep, first version will be single layer 25GB 1080i MPEG2, DD @384kbps. Superbit version will be dual layer 50GB 1080p MPEG4 AVC, DD TrueHD @ 10Mbps. :) Good ol' Sony.

Steve

I think its just a case of waiting for stuff to actually come out!
People are getting all up-tight and and moaning and groaning about something that isnt even out yet!

In Japan anyway, im pretty sure BR will win out. Partly thanks to the fact that the PS3 has a BR drive.

Im sure once the PS3 is out here in march, thats when sony will start to release its titles in BR format.
Ill be here when it happens and ill be one of the first to be in line for both the PS3 and BR movies!

Once i see the disks and see what they can and cannot do, then ill decide wether its good or wether sony are just trying to ripp us off!

Either way, its way too early to tell.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom