Warner Bros. The Firm..1080i

Dubliner1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Dublin, Ireland / San Diego, California, USA.
Just picked up the footy movie "The Firm" on blu-ray this morning- its a Warner Bros. release and I can't believe my eyes the box says feature 1080i....surely this is a typo?...don't want to open it up until I find out.

Is this the Gary Oldman one?

Wouldn't surprise me if it was shot in 1080i.

Just popped the disc into my blu-ray player and it indicates it is 1080/50p.

Won't stop me buying it come Monday morning.

Just popped the disc into my blu-ray player and it indicates it is 1080/50p.

Do you mean 1080i50, because AFAIK there is no 50hz variant of progressive for 1080 i.e. no 1080p25.

Do you mean 1080i50, because AFAIK there is no 50hz variant of progressive for 1080 i.e. no 1080p25.

I played it back on a Sony BDP-S760 and the blu-ray player itself indicates 1080/50p VC-1- perhaps some internal processing is being done in the player? I'm not quite sure about this. The back of the box states 1080i. I thought 1080/60p @ 24fps was the highest quality for blu-rays as I am more used to current U.S. specs. There are people on this forum that know a lot more about this than I do.

I played it back on a Sony BDP-S760 and the blu-ray player itself indicates 1080/50p VC-1- perhaps some internal processing is being done in the player?

I'm pretty new to Blu-ray and it is all very confusing.

I've set my Sony to output 1080p (as one should) but, as a result, it seems convert 1080i material to 1080p before sending it to the TV. Perhaps this is what you are seeing.

If I wanted to let the TV (or a dedicated video processor) do the deinterlacing then I would need to change the Sony to "i" before playing such discs ... and then back again if I played a "true" progressive disc.

What a mess :(

Regards

I played it back on a Sony BDP-S760 and the blu-ray player itself indicates 1080/50p VC-1- perhaps some internal processing is being done in the player? I'm not quite sure about this. The back of the box states 1080i. I thought 1080/60p @ 24fps was the highest quality for blu-rays as I am more used to current U.S. specs. There are people on this forum that know a lot more about this than I do.
The player is deinterlacing the film prior to sending it to the display, which is why you see 1080/50p. Whether that's better than the display doing it depends on the quality of the scalers in each piece of kit.

The Holy Grail for BD film-sourced video is 1080/24p. 1080/60p is something else entirely. It's when 2-3 pulldown is used to make the film's native framerate fit the display's native framerate. More often than not it's actually 23.976Hz to 59.94Hz rather than a solid 24Hz to 60Hz, but some discs are exactly 24Hz.

One imagines that some players have an 'auto' setting that just sends the native resolution and framerate of the content being played without upscaling or altering (my PC software BD players do this).

The player is deinterlacing the film prior to sending it to the display, which is why you see 1080/50p. Whether that's better than the display doing it depends on the quality of the scalers in each piece of kit.

The Holy Grail for BD film-sourced video is 1080/24p. 1080/60p is something else entirely. It's when 2-3 pulldown is used to make the film's native framerate fit the display's native framerate. More often than not it's actually 23.976Hz to 59.94Hz rather than a solid 24Hz to 60Hz, but some discs are exactly 24Hz.

One imagines that some players have an 'auto' setting that just sends the native resolution and framerate of the content being played without upscaling or altering (my PC software BD players do this).

I think my Pioneer BDP-51FD has 'source direct' which will pass the original signal (res./framerate) on the disc direct to my tv so I will compare later and see how it looks compared to the Sony BDP-S760 changing it to 1080/50p.

Interestingly the Theatrical Trailer is presented in 1080p/24fps.

Thought it was pretty poor myself.
I remember the original being far more grittier.
You would get a laugh out of the one of the characters and his family, the rest is just pretty poor.

Thought it was pretty poor myself.
I remember the original being far more grittier.
You would get a laugh out of the one of the characters and his family, the rest is just pretty poor.

Having watched the original recently, I think the 09' version is better, Paul Anderson (Bex) was convincing, especially for someone who has never been in a film before and rarely been in front of a camera :eek:

Last edited:
Just got this today and can confirm it's 1080i/50 :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom