Warming up time for amps. Does red wine help?.

Chrisp7091

Established Member
Reaction score
Do any of you notice a difference in the sound of your amps after they've been running for a while?.

I've had a persistent problem with a very slight 'raggedness' creaping into the sound I'm getting from my HK amp. So far I've put this down to the amp running out of steam, problems with my speakers, the speaker cable not being up to the job or poor quality soundtracks on movies. Last night I realised that after an hour or so of listening, the harsh quality I get, particularly with dialogue, seemed to lessen or disappear altogether. Of course by this time I had consumed several glasses of wine - so maybe my ears were becoming a bit warm, rather than the amp:) .

Seriously though, could this all just be down to my amp needing an extended warming up period?.

Ta.

Chrisp7091 said:
Do any of you notice a difference in the sound of your amps after they've been running for a while?.

I've had a persistent problem with a very slight 'raggedness' creaping into the sound I'm getting from my HK amp. So far I've put this down to the amp running out of steam, problems with my speakers, the speaker cable not being up to the job or poor quality soundtracks on movies. Last night I realised that after an hour or so of listening, the harsh quality I get, particularly with dialogue, seemed to lessen or disappear altogether. Of course by this time I had consumed several glasses of wine - so maybe my ears were becoming a bit warm, rather than the amp:) .

Seriously though, could this all just be down to my amp needing an extended warming up period?.

Ta.

Time to check for faulty electrolitic capacitors and maybe you should also check your wiring (akso to speakers etc.)

I think it is quite normal for the amp & speakers to get "wormed up" Ive had the same effect as You do with many different setups over the years. Forget about the wiring since if there would be a fault with it, it wont get any better over time, would it. Faulty capacitors, I dont think so...maybe if the Amp was on for 10 years strait You could look into that.

I've always found that electronics improve after a period.

I often "warm up" my HiFi and HC before use, at least 30 mins playing time works for me.

My LCD tv is horrible for the first 20-30 mins after switching it on, it ghosts alot. But after being on and used, the ghosting dissapears.

Cheers for that. I'm glad to hear its not just me that has come across this. I must say, I'm surprised at just how long it takes for the system to get going.

I had an Arcam Pro Logic amp ages ago and could always tell when the sound filled out - after about 20mins. The effect of running cold (if that's what it is) with the HK, seems to take longer to wear off and is of a different quality - which is why I hadn't geussed what it might be.

The Russ Andrews website recommends never switching off hifi equipment, apart from during electrical storms for safety reasons . My recollection is that it claimed better sound quality would result not only from being "warmed up" but also from not placing stress on components being switched on.

I'm Quite surprised how much difference a little change can make. I left my amp on for half an hour before the movie started and changed the cable over to Van del Hul on the centre channel only.

A bit of a revelation really. Gone is what I can only descrlbe as 'that nasty frazzle' on the leading edge of vocals and 'abrupt' sound effects. Its like I have new system!. I suppose it goes to show that a little thought and attention can make as much difference as 1000's spent on new equipment!.

Cheers!.

i find white wine actually helps with sound more than red........

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom