Warm Living room Setup … when interior design meets a home cinema enthusiast

the heos on the D&M sucks

My x4400 has HEOS but I don't use it so wouldn't know. I stream Spotify on it or use an app called Hifi cast (I have a couple of hundred gig of ripped CDs on the SD card in my phone) and both work flawlessly. Is AVR plugged into network or on wi-fi? I always plug in.

My x4400 has HEOS but I don't use it so wouldn't know. I stream Spotify on it or use an app called Hifi cast (I have a couple of hundred gig of ripped CDs on the SD card in my phone) and both work flawlessly. Is AVR plugged into network or on wi-fi? I always plug in.
It was an internal error type bug rather than connection for HEOS.

The bluetooth is ok tbh mate.. just typical bluetooth.. put too many ppl int he room walking about with metal and other devices and it can not be as reliable.

I can just airplay the music but I love Alexa lol.

The 1961 bookshelf vs height is now on my mind. Honestly the heights sound so good... I am not sure that 10 degree angle really even does anything lol. The atmos It hink looks nicer.. as its obviously angled... the bookshelf is typical like a block.

I'm not in much of a place to comment, as I can't afford anything in your budget! But our Eltax ATM have been a surprise on how they look on top of the surrounds, we quite like them. But we like that, what I would call, a more 2000s speaker look. They match the KEFs aesthetically, in our opinion, better than the KEF Atmos do (and I wanted some that weren't as tall).

Need to still do wood panelling at the bottom of bookshelf and find a new mirror but near enough it’s at a decent standard now. Will share photo of something on the projector with it down later but the image with the react is gorgeous tbh. haven't installed electric blinds yet simply cos... im not really gonna watch stuff in this room that often so cba.

watched footy there yday with friends over whiskey and beer.. (lpool won :D)... was good...

time to start the dedicated room…

Attachments

• 0D2D59BE-C4DE-4A07-8CE2-38C4F952C23B.jpeg
    0D2D59BE-C4DE-4A07-8CE2-38C4F952C23B.jpeg
    420.7 KB · Views: 273
  • B68CB768-0952-4B30-A493-7F3DDE5E5C54.jpeg
    B68CB768-0952-4B30-A493-7F3DDE5E5C54.jpeg
    419 KB · Views: 221
Lovely room with bold ideas :)

Agree with mirror. Would be better without ine than that o_O are you going to match surrounding wood with the frame? What about (sounds mad) matching black finish to fireplace?

Sorry I am rude!

If I can be ruder. Curtains need to be much more substantial to match the room. Sorry.

Lovely room with bold ideas :)

Agree with mirror. Would be better without ine than that o_O are you going to match surrounding wood with the frame? What about (sounds mad) matching black finish to fireplace?

Sorry I am rude!

If I can be ruder. Curtains need to be much more substantial to match the room. Sorry.

Definitely agree. Curtains just a stop-gap. Bought cheap because the ceilings are high so I didn't want to pay for custom made ones... quotes were insane.

I definitely want a new mirror.. I had a lovely antique art deco one but sadly it protrudes outwards like 10cm (it has the moulding of a woman holding a rose) and the PJ screen hits it on the way downards. Ideally I just want a small round golden brass one and keep the rest of the wall bare as its already too busy. Any nice mirrors normally protrude out a lot in the frame so I am kind of stuffed... I want a golden or brass frame.. think it brings out the golden tones.

The fireplace isn't black tbh. Its actually green but the camera struggles to show it up. In sunlight it green/blue and bright so it matches already ok tbh.

thats the stone for the fireplace. we imported about 4-5 labs, most gorgeous slabs we've seen in 20 years in the business.

there has been no matching. :) all the wood is just natural oak.... I like all natural materials rather than ikea-style matching... altho I cannot afford natural oak everywhere so ikea is in the bedrooms lol. sadly become too expensive so will switch soon lol. I suggested a oak pannelled feature wall and my dad said thats £5k...decided to hang certificates on the empty wall instead.

Last edited:
PJ mode!

Attachments

• 1828FFCB-E3A6-412B-BD2D-CCECE60FC96E.jpeg
    1828FFCB-E3A6-412B-BD2D-CCECE60FC96E.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 213
Definitely agree. Curtains just a stop-gap. Bought cheap because the ceilings are high so I didn't want to pay for custom made ones... quotes were insane.

Have you tried Dunelm?

I want a golden or brass frame.

I'm no Laurence L-Bowen, but (maybe it's the photo) that seems the worst finish to go with the room to me, maybe if it's very matt with no shine. Anyway, I should stop sticking my nose in.

Another suggestion, some sort of tapestry hanging there? Could have some synergy with new curtains too?

Have you tried Dunelm?

I'm no Laurence L-Bowen, but (maybe it's the photo) that seems the worst finish to go with the room to me, maybe if it's very matt with no shine. Anyway, I should stop sticking my nose in.

Another suggestion, some sort of tapestry hanging there? Could have some synergy with new curtains too?
Opposite wall got som Japanese silk paintings .. didn’t wanna do specifically a big tapestry as thought it’d close off the room. I did thing about it for ages tho mate!! As ideally I think I need a rug or another material or fabric..

However decided they aren’t me if that’s makes sense. I think fine line between decorating a room to look nice and losing the personal touch which matches my own personality.

Yeah tried them.. custom length was looking expensive. Trying to be sensible with money as I have an 8000 gate being installed in a weeks time 🤣🤣 with the intercom then etc and electrics.. could have been my jvc or trinnov fund lol

Haven’t even bought coping stones for wall 🥵🥵

I’m renovating the entire house so I don’t mind paying money for things which are.. durable and semi structural or hold value but things which are purely decorative and disposable I can’t easily part cash with from an investment perspective. With work going on and construction.. curtains and stuff always run risk of getting ruined by plastering, drilling and all the dust coming away etc in any space atm

Last edited:
Agree and that's what I said about how bold and different it is. Really impressive.

You need the security to guard the AV!

🤣🤣 nah mate i have nothing that insane in house.

Btw could you link me any tapestries you think would look nice? Thinking about it, I quite like the concept.

I really wanted to do a rug but it definitely falls into the ‘disposable .. finishing touch’ category as it’s bound to get ruined

Haha, I've probably reached my limit of aesthetic advice!

Ideas... colours I would go for would be autumnal.

Amazon product ASIN B086BXCKHC
Amazon product ASIN B08BFH1K34
Not saying those sizes etc, just sharing the theme idea.

I'd like the idea of the autumnal colours and the idea of trees - because that's where the surrounding beautiful wood came from!

But if you like your travel for example, what about "rustic world map tapestry".

Some of these have similar colours and I know you like the theme, not Bourbon but I'm sure wine is up there 🤣

Haha, I've probably reached my limit of aesthetic advice!

Ideas... colours I would go for would be autumnal.

Amazon product ASIN B086BXCKHC
Amazon product ASIN B08BFH1K34
Not saying those sizes etc, just sharing the theme idea.

I'd like the idea of the autumnal colours and the idea of trees - because that's where the surrounding beautiful wood came from!

But if you like your travel for example, what about "rustic world map tapestry".

Some of these have similar colours and I know you like the theme, not Bourbon but I'm sure wine is up there 🤣

any good mirror reccs?

I am open to a different frame tbh... think its a very warm room, would love some contrast.

I found a cool looking silver one.

Hadn't checked this for a while. The rooms looks really nice; looks a good place tor relax.

Hadn't checked this for a while. The rooms looks really nice; looks a good place tor relax.

Cheers mate.. that was the aim. More of a whisky/ambient lighting room but with the additional of a hidden home cinema setup lol.

Plans:
1. Bottom wood trim for bookshelf
2. Circular mirror to the replace the current one
3. More books
4. Antique clock - trying to find one I like but under <£250 is hard.
5. Reshuffle some of the decorations
6. Buy some nice brass decorations/antiques
7. Buy some wall art to decorate the room a bit more

Then call it a day.

Second room has been planned out. The dedicated room. First job is to get curtain track in.. as that seems to be pivotal plaster is crap in that room on the ceiling so will get a professional in to the job. Once track is in.. then its business time.

Second room:
Install door for home cinema room
2x Curtain tracks
MVEL22 curtains
Fireplace in antique brown stone
3x wall sound panels wrapped in MVEL22 for the front ceiling stage
Buy & Install 4x 1961 atmos channels & buy a new amplifier for them
Paint the hoverBOSS
Might try to find a black rug.
buy black wooden wall panels to do feature wall
Paint walls a dark grey colour
Paint ceiling a black-ish colour
Get dining table re-cut by carpenter
Get window sills installed (granite stone)
Get some form of light blocker for the small slits by the electronic blinds

Last edited:
So I've finished this room for now. sign off photo.
I'll get some photos of it in action one day but I've changed direction to the dedicated room now.

It ended with a Denon, 2x Arendal 1961s, BK Monolith + sub and a JVC X7900 using a firestick.

Upgrades if I ever used the room for watching a film will be: 2x in walls for SR/SL, 4x atmos channels (2x on book case, 2x above head or in corners of the room).

But given I've watched nothing except 2 football matches on it, there is no point me putting more money into it. Feel bad for the X7900 as it deserves to be in a better room.

Attachments

• 260302368_10226597931235418_7952499483083089169_n.jpeg
    260302368_10226597931235418_7952499483083089169_n.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 85
You’re going to have a 7900 with so few hours on it in a few years time lol

I had the same debate to be honest. I had the recessed projector screen etc already fitted in the living room and I thought about keeping it for sport etc. Decided I’d never use it so ripped it all out and have patched all the ceiling speakers etc. Does hurt putting all your hard work back to standard. A bit like stripping a car of performance parts to sell, if you’ve ever done that. Labour of love.

You’re going to have a 7900 with so few hours on it in a few years time lol

I had the same debate to be honest. I had the recessed projector screen etc already fitted in the living room and I thought about keeping it for sport etc. Decided I’d never use it so ripped it all out and have patched all the ceiling speakers etc. Does hurt putting all your hard work back to standard. A bit like stripping a car of performance parts to sell, if you’ve ever done that. Labour of love.
Yup bit sad. I just have the (very in progress) cinema room going on in the back which is just 100x better. Dual subs, hoverboss, bigger screen, MVEL coats 30% of the room now.. lol. so just doesnt make sense to do much.

The front room is now basically where all guests will go for the next 6 months as my cinema room is truly a tech dungeon until I figure out how to make it look nice-ish. I just can't find wall panelling from anywhere to emulate a look i found online.

In hindsight I maybe should have sold the X7900 and kept the EPson 9300 but I didn't want to let go of the X7900 due to those black levels as I felt I'd never be able to get a projector to match them again. also it just looks beautiful. I love the gloss finish and sleek design. definitley best looking PJ I've owned.

The room is 99% of the time for fireplace & 2 channel music. the 1% was always guests entertaining, footy.. just sad to see a X7900 having to do those tasks lol as i normally do grown on ppl who stuff a high end JVC in thier lounge as they could have just got an Epson.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom