Warm Living room Setup … when interior design meets a home cinema enthusiast

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
So I'm quite big into home cinema and I'm also like interior design. I have a dedicated projector setup in a different part of the house (well adjoined with a dining area for bigger throw distance of 150-165'' screen).

In my front room, I was struggling to fit in a TV without ruining the entire vibe of the room and directing all eyes towards a TV. Therefore I've decided to start a project to try and fuse the two together.

Room has a chimney breast. I like to embrace the traditional architecture of a home rather than tear it apart. To begin with, I did think of knocking it out for a bigger throw distance. However we've managed to exceed 110'' image comfortably without knocking it out, so it stays with floor to ceiling book cases either side.

Plan:
1. Furniture - need some classic furniture. I wanted one piece which was comfortable and 2 for style.
2. Light control - I want curtains to dress the room but also something more functional such as blinds
3. Sound - I think a stereo setup will do for now to try and prioritise balancing the audio, visual and looks
4. Fire place - I needed to get a fireplace built.
5. Tables - ideally I wanted a centre piece furniture in the middle of the room

The main concept of this room is to:
1. Provide a semi-decent home cinema experience
2. Be a sitting room, embracing natural architecture of house

House as pretty high ceilings so it does give me some wiggle room re projector placement etc.

Attachments

• E000E966-3988-46AD-940D-D4E546799A15.jpeg
    E000E966-3988-46AD-940D-D4E546799A15.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 5E5EACC7-562A-4B14-B772-20A724AA0163.jpeg
    5E5EACC7-562A-4B14-B772-20A724AA0163.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 216

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I meant to post that^ a couple of months ago.

So, TIMESKIP

I've inherited from my old setup a Draper React ALR 110'' screen borderless, an Epson 9300. I've bought a pair of Arendal atmos speakers I'll use as the bookshelves until I can settle on a pair of speakers I can use. I am lacking an AVR so for now am using Edifier bookshelf speaker.
Sub wise I have a BK monolith + I want to replace with a subwoofer in a mahogonay finish.

I bought in:
1x Chesterfield
1x chesterfield arm chair & reconditioned leather myself
1x italian style extremely comfortable brown couch
1x pair of blinds - needed to go cheap and big as my ceilings are tall and I was not paying someone to custom make curtains at this stage
1x Tigers Eye semi precious coffee table
2x custom made oak bookshelves

biggest expensive was obviously the semi precious table. Given how much they can retail for:
I'm happy I got my dream coffee table moving forwards but its hurt lol.

I have on order:
1x fireplace made from Labradorite semi precious stone
which is simply stunning (got a desk in it and its just the best thing I've ever owned)
1x electric fireplace - i had to go for electric because the heat from a real fire place would likely deform the screen over time

most difficult thing was bookshelves this big. getting them made was ok but took ages, then installing them and replastering over to get a seemless finish was not easy.

I still need to do:
1x. buy blinds
1x plaster the other side
1x paint the room and the plaster work

bookshelf installation isn't done. still pending
1x. custom mantle made in 3 parts to hide the projector screen
1x. cabinet doors for the bottom half
1x cable management so no wires are visible

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Oops forgot to attach photo

To do list:

1. Paint over plaster (should dry in 1-2 weeks then we can paint)
2. Install fireplace ( due to be delivered 14/8)
3. Install bookshelf doors (no idea when they will get made
4. Get made the 3 part coving to hide the projector screen so you can't see it (no idea when will get made)
5. get built a seemless floating solid oak shelf for the projector
6. get the fireplace stone made (2 week turnaround)
7. buy an AVR - im looking for a marantz silver AVR Cos I'd like HEOS & Alexa integration but i cant find one for the price i want.

Attachments

• 33FA7FAF-1307-4D17-9FC8-6C00620E624B.jpeg
    33FA7FAF-1307-4D17-9FC8-6C00620E624B.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 225
  • CE72F446-25AA-4162-AFB0-D460E5386D65.jpeg
    CE72F446-25AA-4162-AFB0-D460E5386D65.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 248

Dobbyisfree

I thought you were making me jealous enough by having two 15" Monoliths but now you've topped it all with, what I believe without a zoom function is, a bottle of Woodfords... my favourite Bourbon!

On a more serious note, is there a way of discreetly having separate equipment that will do your HEOS and Alexa duties but plug into the AVR? Then at least it will be much easier to find one at the right price?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I thought you were making me jealous enough by having two 15" Monoliths but now you've topped it all with, what I believe without a zoom function is, a bottle of Woodfords... my favourite Bourbon!

On a more serious note, is there a way of discreetly having separate equipment that will do your HEOS and Alexa duties but plug into the AVR? Then at least it will be much easier to find one at the right price?
Haha ive been trying to build a collection slowly but they keep dissapearing.

The Alexa is obviously on show. The wires are going to be channels in with wooden beading around the bookshelf. I am going for a stereo

Yup. I have the AVR which is on an overhead wooden oak shelf (thats as discrete as I can get). Thats as discrete as I can make it (overhead). I could do something like putting the PJ into the ceiling and motorising it down but its expensive.. would rather just keep it 'classic' and as 'traditional' as a PJ setup can be.

I am stuck trying to find a HEOS compatible AVR at the moment. Now wiring ethernet from modem into this room so I can stram everything from my media PC to the device.

Fireplace (the actual fire thing) has been delivered... so we can start production of the actual fireplace now out of laboradite stone... gonnna make one for one of the bedrooms too so thats going to cost a freaking tonne lol. its weird how i am so anxious spending a lot of home AV stuff but when it comes to furniture, I am a bit too loose.

Blinds wise I am going to go for some beige/cream roll down blinds. I am tempted to go electric but I need to start spending wisely and properly.

if u have any ideas please let me know. i am at the stage where I can still make the odd change (like the ethernet cable).

Dobbyisfree

A HEOS Link HS2 is £350, don't know if there are cheaper lower specced HEOS players or if you could find something 2nd hand? But it would free up for a much cheaper AVR... as you know AVRs are still a seller's market at the moment!

Dobbyisfree

Any progress pictures? Of the room or the bourbon? :)

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Any progress pictures? Of the room or the bourbon? :)
2 new bottles :D...

Not really mate. Can't find an AVR for a decent price (£300) which is HEOS compatible so might just cave and buy a more expensive one than i need..! :(

Dobbyisfree

Love it... Subs and bourbon, you write a blank cheque. An AVR is sought on a budget 🤣

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Love it... Subs and bourbon, you write a blank cheque. An AVR is sought on a budget 🤣
🤣🤣🤣
I’ve ran out of money mate. Lol. Going to have to cash out some stocks.

fireplace arrived. Got quote for electronic blinds.. 580 quid lol.. that’s why I’m being tight with the avr 🤣🤣

Attachments

• C6F5AE46-5C80-4928-805D-A5FFC932E4FC.jpeg
    C6F5AE46-5C80-4928-805D-A5FFC932E4FC.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 185

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 197

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Fire place installed today
Monolith cabled
Doors arrived but not installed cos have a family party
Speaker wires channeled through cabinet

Tomorrow I’m just gonna buy a denon receiver new. I think a 1600h will do for this room. I’ve channeled enough cables to upgrade this system to a 4.1.2 when the time comes. Just depends if I can find a subtle enough easy to install in wall speaker in the next few years but in all honesty I think 2 channel is enough and I’d rather put those funds towards the main cinema room.

Gonna kill me to pay £430 for the low end Denon but it is what it is... I want to finalise all cabling and I need an AVR. 1600h only comes with 2 years warranty too which I think is crap but oh well.

Blinds wise.. going to go electric and just pay what is quoted.

To do list:
1. Painting
2. Install projector screen beams so its hidden
3. Buy and install Denon
4. Install solid oak projector shelf
5. Install bookshelf doors
6. Buy an antique clock for the bookshelf
7. Buy a mirror
8. Buy another mirror +/- wall art of painting or hang my certificates for a blank wall I have in the house
9. decorators cork galore
10. cushions
11. more whisky lol.
12. buy some tiffany lamps to replace the ones I have their at the moment
13. actually setup the fire place.

Then next year (optional)
9. Upgrade/change subwoofer to a mahogonay looking one or something smaller
10. Buy 2x Atmos moduels for the top shelf + 2x surround modules which can go in-wall or are ultra slim

Attachments

• 4CBA7DB4-6FE8-4908-9704-9325B621FDEB.jpeg
    4CBA7DB4-6FE8-4908-9704-9325B621FDEB.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 143
  • A3153069-77F8-4ACF-ADDE-F4ABD2E5326A.jpeg
    A3153069-77F8-4ACF-ADDE-F4ABD2E5326A.jpeg
    413.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 7CCBB077-4447-467C-B7EE-9EE8F8708662.jpeg
    7CCBB077-4447-467C-B7EE-9EE8F8708662.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 3C1AB9B0-B4D9-40DE-A76A-69FBEE7EB5E2.jpeg
    3C1AB9B0-B4D9-40DE-A76A-69FBEE7EB5E2.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 994621C0-BB97-4A43-B2D1-3A5469A71C6E.jpeg
    994621C0-BB97-4A43-B2D1-3A5469A71C6E.jpeg
    525.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Jase

Distinguished Member
@kenshingintoki

Is this of any interest?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
@kenshingintoki

Is this of any interest?

Hi Jase, thanks that would be a good shout but would a Denon 1600x give better performance?

I'm running 4ohm speakers so I'm a bit worried to downsize on the wattage incase I need it. I'm a bit of an Arendal fanboy at this stage and not sure if I'll move away from them and they seem to be very 4ohm-ish on any speaker line.

Last edited:

Jase

Distinguished Member
Hi Jase, thanks that would be a good shout but would a Denon 1600x give better performance?

I'm running 4ohm speakers so I'm a bit worried to downsize on the wattage incase I need it. I'm a bit of an Arendal fanboy at this stage and not sure if I'll move away from them and they seem to be very 4ohm-ish on any speaker line.

The Denon might be a bit more capable (plus it has a slightly better version of Audyssey).

Wonder if it's worth looking at an older used AVR like an Anthem MRX-300/310 or Marantz SR7010 (for example)?

Just spotted an Anthem MRX-700 on Ebay for £400 quid. That should power the Arendals easily.

Dobbyisfree

Be careful @Jase when @kenshingintoki finds out it has front preouts then it will be which power amp :)

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

If you don´t go bat crazy the Marantz might do ok, however the X1600H is little better. AVF tested the 5channel version of Marantz slimline (500£) with M&K MP300 reference speaker system (17,000£) which is 4ohm too, but lot more efficient than Arendals so don´t require tons of power really. Yeah tell me about the "perfect" avr / speaker matches of AVF in these reviews, jesus. :laugh:

With 0db set as a reference level in the room, the NR1509 managed to drive our MK MP300 system without any signs of strain or running out of steam up to around -6db, which is loud enough for most users, without suffering from a brittle high-end performance as it runs out of steam. Push it further than this and the sound did compress and get harsh as we ran out of power but, up to that point, I had no complaints and the Marantz NR1509 would suit any UK sized room with a good set of sensitive 4 or 8 ohm speakers. It would also be loud enough for anyone using it on a daily basis for TV and movie viewing.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
If you don´t go bat crazy the Marantz might do ok, however the X1600H is little better. AVF tested the 5channel version of Marantz slimline (500£) with M&K MP300 reference speaker system (17,000£) which is 4ohm too, but lot more efficient than Arendals so don´t require tons of power really. Yeah tell me about the "perfect" avr / speaker matches of AVF in these reviews, jesus. :laugh:

With 0db set as a reference level in the room, the NR1509 managed to drive our MK MP300 system without any signs of strain or running out of steam up to around -6db, which is loud enough for most users, without suffering from a brittle high-end performance as it runs out of steam. Push it further than this and the sound did compress and get harsh as we ran out of power but, up to that point, I had no complaints and the Marantz NR1509 would suit any UK sized room with a good set of sensitive 4 or 8 ohm speakers. It would also be loud enough for anyone using it on a daily basis for TV and movie viewing.

Be careful @Jase when @kenshingintoki finds out it has front preouts then it will be which power amp :)
The Denon might be a bit more capable (plus it has a slightly better version of Audyssey).

Wonder if it's worth looking at an older used AVR like an Anthem MRX-300/310 or Marantz SR7010 (for example)?

Just spotted an Anthem MRX-700 on Ebay for £400 quid. That should power the Arendals easily.

Thank you guys. I've bought the Denon. Simpler lol.. should come tommorow so will cable it all up and that crap is out of the way.

Fired up the fireplace and the 110'' draperPJ together.

I'm pretty happy with how its turning out so far.
Tommorow Doors, wooden beam to hide the projector screen and wooden PJ shelf get installed.

Then we have:
1. Wire up AVR and hide cables and connect subwoofer
2. 12v trigger for PJ & make PJ screen drop a bit higher so can put fireplace against the wall
3. Paint
4. Get electronic blinds installed.

And I will give this room a rest then and probably take a break because I have some stuff coming up work related I should be doing as its a bit make-or-break. Got some antique clocks, wall art, certificates, wooden frames for certificates etc. to buy... and books... reverse entrance door and replace frame. Then after all thats done, I'll look into in-wall speakers for surrounds and some atmos modules for uptop to make it a 4.1.2 setup... although in all likelyhood I'd probably rather keep this as a 2.1 setup and expand my actual home cinema to 7.7.4 (2 subs + 5 woofers for hoverboss) & get a new PJ in with a better black floor & power amplification for the new speakers.

Dobbyisfree

Well you're very fortunate indeed, your secondary setup is better than most people's primary 🤣

Sorry to sound stupid but are PJ screens very resilient to heat then?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Well you're very fortunate indeed, your secondary setup is better than most people's primary 🤣

Sorry to sound stupid but are PJ screens very resilient to heat then?

haha well budget for this room has ran out now. I mentioned oak panelling on the bare wall and my dad said thats £4-5k for real oak wall panelling... so thats not happening lol.

Electric fire mate.. uses myst. products pretty convincing smoke... went to the shop and so many of them looked crap. so luckily I can toggle the heat on and off and have the flame work independantly. It was the main reason I didn't go for gas tbh. If I'd had gas.. we would have found out what the PJ screens are made of lol.

Dobbyisfree

Electric fire mate.. uses myst. products pretty convincing smoke... went to the shop and so many of them looked crap. so luckily I can toggle the heat on and off and have the flame work independantly. It was the main reason I didn't go for gas tbh. If I'd had gas.. we would have found out what the PJ screens are made of lol.

Looks brilliant. Can you give me the make and model please? We want to go electric but haven't seen any like that :)

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Looks brilliant. Can you give me the make and model please? We want to go electric but haven't seen any like that :)

Sure mate, dimplex optymyst. check it out. when the condensation forms on the door, it looks pretty good.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Sure mate, dimplex optymyst. check it out. when the condensation forms on the door, it looks pretty good.
My dad had found a better brand.. . might move this to the bedroom. Produces a real flame, made in Germany will get you the details.

PJ shelf and doors and the cover for the PJ screen installed now. I'm pretty happy. after some paint and a bit more decoration, I'll leave this room alone for a bit.

Pj screen wise I wish we mounted it a bit more flush to the ceiling but the installers said its nearly impossible with the brackets. I don't have warranty left on the screen and honestly have palpitations everytime we move it. we did contemplate shortly today moving is 2cm up but its just not worth the risk TBH.

My dad has been absolutely amazing. every thing has been custom made from solid oak so its been expensive but luckily we've had no errors measuring and a lot of mistakes/missteps I would have made; he obviously hasn't. will do updated video/photo tommorow once we've pianted stuff up.. then call it a day.

At last arendals are hooked up with the BK mono plus and im happy.

Not happy with the denon tho.. sound is ok.. as I know from denon.. HEOS doesn't work tho, not the smoothest of AVRs and a harsh reminder to me that nothing in AV is perfect. The 1961s are god damn amazing tho for how small they are. Mono plus feels far far far far far inferior to my Monoprice monliths so it really does show there is more to a subwoofer than the FR response curve.

Dobbyisfree

Produces a real flame, made in Germany will get you the details.

That would be brilliant thank you.

I know I'm saying this too late. They rarely come up for sale, Denon did the "Heos AVR" and one has popped up on the 'bay.

Pretty little thing:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
That would be brilliant thank you.

I know I'm saying this too late. They rarely come up for sale, Denon did the "Heos AVR" and one has popped up on the 'bay.

Pretty little thing:

Nah... looks lovely but I need a screen. This denon does the job :) TBH, HEOS is a complete piece of crap. bluetooth and the heos on the D&M sucks. I forgot... until I used it on this one again. Oh well lol.. :D

Bought a mirror for the room.. to go behind the PJ screen when it comes down. Now I just need so buy some cushions. Found some vintage ones, will probably cost me £100-150 but then its done...

I am not sure whether to change my 1961 height channel for a 1961 bookshelf speaker.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Roku announces new Streaming Stick 4K and OS 10.5
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+