1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warcraft III

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Lex, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone bought Warcraft 3 yet?

I am gonna buy it just as soon as I get my new gfx card set up! :rolleyes: :mad:
    I have read some positive reviews, but am always interested in personal opinions and experiences. :)

Warcraft 2 was just about my favourite game for years - it is amazing how dated it seems now when you look back!

I am not convinced by the new 3D style that these God Games are adopting now. I much prefer the distant looking down 2D perspective (Like Age of Kings). Somehow the charm is lost for me when you zoom right in. Just my personal preference though! :)

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,048
    They have been plugging it like crazy on the Sci-Fi Channel, it looks good, as to the zoom in, it is only an option, it looks more isometric now, but I can see what you are getting at. I like the Diablo games, Baldur’s Gate etc. games, and they have been pushing Dungeon Siege I thought it looked great and then I got a demo it was a third person and hated it.:p :(

3. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,795
    I've got it.

The graphics are impressive, but the camera controls aren't particularly good.

The gameplay is very much of the old school. You know - build and rush, or just lure the enemy into the fire of your ranged units and defenses.

However the saving grace is the story line - superb! You play different campaigns as each of the races, all on the same story line. It makes it very interesting. I should also add that the cut scenes are the best I've ever seen.

The concentration on heroes also gives you more involvement in the game and makes you more protective of them, giving you more of a stake in the game.

Worth buying IMHO, but not quite as good as the hype.

4. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I have it as well.

I think it is fantastic. The camera thing is just a gimmick but very pretty all the same.

The one player game is interesting and makes you play each race in one at a time rather than concentrating on Orcs vs Humans. The multiplayer is great if you play on Battlenet but not so good against the PC. Initially I found it impossible to beat the PC but now it's pretty straightforward once you crack its strategy.

One thing I did notice was how similar it is to Starcraft in feel and all the races seem very well balanced.

Get it.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,048