War of the Worlds (Spielberg) DVD reviews?

F

Fluffy-Bunny

Anyone seen any DVD reviews on their travels for War of the Worlds (2005)?

We will be reviewing it as soon as possible - it's a case of waiting for the R1 copy to arrive with the reviewer.

It is odd that there havent been any reviews yet considering the R2 release only 8 days away.

No check discs being released for the R2 DVD, otherwise it would have been reviewed by us. The R1 disc is expected later this week with the review to follow quickly after.

I know for a fact that Dreamworks do not release discs for review in the States, I didn't know they had the same policy over here though.

Actually, to be honest, we were invited to a press showing of War of the Worlds DVD release - and we declined.

We have had these invites before, we've had VHS copies sent (I kid you not) and we keep telling them we won't review the titles in either format, because it is not indicative of the actual disk themselves. We want to run bitrate, watch all the extras, hear the DTS or Dolby soundtracks in a home environment because that is what the forum members/readers are going to be viewing them on as well. This is why, I'm afraid, we won't be bringing you the R2 version.

We are always protesting against Paramount and the other guilty studios (like Dreamworks) with regards to this, but it falls on deaf ears currently - maybe one day it won't.

Got my copy this morning, thanks Play for the continued excellent service :smashin:

Can't wait to see it on the projector tonight and cranking up and sound, got a feeling the subwoofer is going to get a good workout ;)

Cheers

Andy

Got my copy of WOTW this morning too from Play.com.

Great stuff as not released 'officially' till Monday.

Quick test viewing before the main event.

Pluses
Good to see it in 16:9 Anamorphic, so no black bars top and bottom
DTS option is a bonus

Minuses
Not sure on the picture quality.
1 ) Maybe I'm being fussy
2) Maybe it's shortcomings in my Denon 1920 DVD player?

Had my copy shipped from Asda on Thursday but it didnt arrive today, oh well Monday it is then but for £12.72 I can wait a little longer.

Mine has been shipped by cdwow :clap:

We will have a R2 review going up this weekend - the PR company actually sent us one (after much moaning - as you may have noticed!)

Mine arrived from CD Wow this morning.

Very good picture quality and excellent sound quality.

I havent watched any of the extras yet.

smind74 said:
Good to see it in 16:9 Anamorphic, so no black bars top and bottom
That actually has nothing to do with the disc being anamorphic mate...but everything to do with the aspect ratio ratio.
This film was shot in 1.85.1 - which is as near as you'll get to 16.9 from a cinema released movie.
The films that have black bars at the top and bottom are shot in 2.35.1 or 2.40.1 (or cinemascope) and will show these on the DVD, even if anamorphic.
If you have it, check Star Wars:ROTS - anamorphic DVD with black bars - because it was shot in 2.35.1...
Got this on a rental tonight...really enjoyed it at the cinema...but after the dissapointment of the ROTS disc, I'm really not expecting to much...

Our R2 Review is now live, check it out Here

Is it true that this is the first 'newish' Paramount film release on R2 to have a DTS track? as someone on another forum was telling me that they would drop the DTS track from the R2 release as Paramount had yet to release a new film in the UK with DTS, looks like he was wrong.

The DTS track is present and correct.

Mine was posted three days ago from movietyme but didn't arrive. Really gutted as I was plaaning on watching it tonight. Might as well have saved myself a few quid and bought it on Monday morning. :(

Family Guy said:
That actually has nothing to do with the disc being anamorphic mate...but everything to do with the aspect ratio ratio.
This film was shot in 1.85.1 - which is as near as you'll get to 16.9 from a cinema released movie.
The films that have black bars at the top and bottom are shot in 2.35.1 or 2.40.1 (or cinemascope) and will show these on the DVD, even if anamorphic.
If you have it, check Star Wars:ROTS - anamorphic DVD with black bars - because it was shot in 2.35.1...
Got this on a rental tonight...really enjoyed it at the cinema...but after the dissapointment of the ROTS disc, I'm really not expecting to much...

Cheers for that correction Family Guy but I do not need any help with numbers. Just a miss-use of the word anamorphic on my part.

1 - What does anamorphic mean then (I thought it meant that the image was stored in some sort of squashed format and then the player enlarged it to the correct aspect ratio.)

2 - Why do they bother telling us if all we really care about is the final aspect ratio?

thanks to play.com I'll be having my WOTW experience straight after the X factor results :thumbsup:

Darn. Got to wait till 22nd :suicide: for my R3 copy!!!, at £8.50. Well cant have it all.

phew !!!!
that was a real blast :thumbsup:
it looks great on the front pro and the dts soundtrack rocks,
as did the house with all the sub bass it gives out during the many many explosions :eek:

Lex said:
Mine was posted three days ago from movietyme but didn't arrive. Really gutted as I was plaaning on watching it tonight. Might as well have saved myself a few quid and bought it on Monday morning. :(

Mine was posted on Wed / Thur too mate from Movietyme.

My copy of Batman Returns took 10 days to arrive from Movietyme (free shipping), I only recieved it on Saturday.
Do all items take over a week from Movietyme? Do they not use airmail?

However I did pay for UK Special Delivery on WOTW, so hopefully, it won't take 10 days this time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom