• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

War of the Worlds (remake) Listed @ HMV for June

Hades

Distinguished Member

Whitley Lad

Distinguished Member
A day one purchase for me- should sound awesome:)

Hades

Distinguished Member
The scene were we are introduced to the 1st pod should be quite something :)

Richard

Distinguished Member
Only ever seen this once and that was years ago.

Don't remember being overly impressed with it.

Will probably give it a spin next time I sign up to lovefilm again.

Tequila Sunset

Prominent Member
looks like alot of spieldberg movies will be out this year

cant wait for

indiana jones trilogy
minority report
AI
Schindlers list
jaws

sonysean

Established Member
Day 1 purchase for me.
I love this film, and everyone knows its going to look and sound awesome on BD :D

Pecker

Distinguished Member
I like this one for what it is.

A lot of people comparing this to the original are looking at the past through rose-tinted spectacles - the 'original' was an awful piece of American jingoism which bore little resemblance to the novel.

The two films are completely different to the novel, and the newer version owes as much or as little to the written word as to the first film. As such I don't see it as a remake.

The new film isn't great, but it's an entertaining action film with a little more thought than most.

Steve W

While the Spielberg film also updates the plot and changes the characters, unlike the 50s film it presents the alien technology (tripods) and biology (the red weed) as it's described in the novel. There were a lot of visual moments I always had wanted to see on screen and therefore I do regard it a lot more true to the book. It also doesn't impose a hokey Christian message, which an atheist like Wells would have been appalled about.

I really liked this and thought it was one of Spielberg's better recent films.

Only ever seen this once and that was years ago.

Don't remember being overly impressed with it.

Will probably give it a spin next time I sign up to lovefilm again.

Lol 2005.. years ago. :D Mind you it seems newer than that somehow.

Last edited:

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member
Spielbergs worst Movie by a country mile, I'd buy Hook before buying this :thumbsdow

Racquel Darrian

Distinguished Member
I'll buy this one! :thumbsup:

I won't buy Hook! :thumbsdow

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Thoroughly enjoyed the re-make of War of the Worlds so will buy this for sure - will wait until Christmas though when it will undoubtably be 2 for 1 though.

Captain_Danger

Established Member
Its odd how this film seems to really divide film fans.

I personally thought it was a great film, flawed, but great.

There was a great deal cut out of the theatrical release and there were several "unfinished" scenes that were cut out due to time constraints.

I would love to see an extended cut, though am aware that Spielberg has only ever done one or two, (Close Encounters & ET).

===SPOILERS===

I do think that the film gets bogged down a lot when they go into the house/basement. In my opinion, they should not have shown the aliens, the eye creeping around bit was enough (and was a complete rip of the Raptor sequence in JP anyway - but I digress).

Another niggle I have is the way after Ray escapes the tripod that comes out of the intersection, we don't see another tripod until about 10-15 min later, too long in my opinion.

Last edited:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Its odd how this film seems to really divide film fans.

I personally thought it was a great film, flawed, but great.

There was a great deal cut out of the theatrical release and there were several "unfinished" scenes that were cut out due to time constraints.

I would love to see an extended cut, though am aware that Spielberg has only ever done one or two, (Close Encounters & ET).

I wouldn't mind seeing an extended cut to see if it improves things.

This is a real love/hate film for me.

Absolutely love the first 30 mins or so. Brilliant. After that, meh:rolleyes:

No doubt it'll look fab (grain haters my have an issue though) on BR and if the sound isn't sensational, i'll eat my pants.:D

I'll wait and get the Region A off these forums for a tenner.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
I like this one for what it is.

A lot of people comparing this to the original are looking at the past through rose-tinted spectacles - the 'original' was an awful piece of American jingoism which bore little resemblance to the novel.

The two films are completely different to the novel, and the newer version owes as much or as little to the written word as to the first film. As such I don't see it as a remake.

The new film isn't great, but it's an entertaining action film with a little more thought than most.

Steve W
I don't see it as a remake either and think it's closer to the book than the 1950's film.

Tiltawhirl

Established Member
Wasn't really a fan of this, though hopefully it's a sign that Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park, E.T and Minority Report are just around the corner.

kgulls

Established Member
I remember Ray Harryhausen,the famous animator,saying that he desperately wanted to secure the rights to this film to do the remake.
Would have loved to have seen this made based on the book,set in England,circa 1900.
Sadly, Speilberg ruined a great story by pandering to the American box office and the big money film corporations to make a most dissapointing and inane movie.
Not even a top notch blueray will make me sit through this again.:thumbsdow

MoFoHo

Prominent Member
One of my sons fave movies! This will give the subwoofer a good workout for sure!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom