War Of The Worlds (Mammoth Screen/BBC)

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
A new adaptation on it's way from Mammoth Screen, the company behind BBC's Poldark, with Doctor Who writer Peter Harness (‘Kill the Moon’, ‘The Zygon Invasion’) reportedly developing the mini-series set in the same Victorian period and setting of the original novel. Filming is due to start in 2017.

Mammoth managing director Damien Timmer:
“The aftershock of The War Of The Worlds can still be felt in popular culture today. The story of a Martian invasion as experienced in Victorian Surrey is a masterpiece. We want this new adaptation to reaffirm H G Wells’ position as one of this country’s most important writers.”

DarkEntity

No.....there must be more to life!

domtheone

Distinguished Member
There has to be a way:thumbsup:

richardb70

Distinguished Member
The voice of the devil is heard in our land!

mtenga

Distinguished Member

meltonboy

I wonder if the makers are using our interest to justify the remake....

... "with just a handful of men, we'll start all over again"

Sorry, couldn't resist. The Jeff Wayne albumn was a part of my growing up. Used to listen to it on long car journeys with the parents, although the very final scene couldn't fit on the C90 !!

I listed to it again on my own during a long car journey last year, thinking it might not have aged that well. I still loved it !!

MB

krish

Distinguished Member
I've also got "The New Generation" version (mp3 album was about a quid or two on Amazon and I had a free voucher to redeem). Not a sequel as the name implies, just a rerecording with new people (Liam Neeson, Gary Barlow et al), utterly pointless exercise which sounds quite crap with Jeff Wayne's embarrassing attempt to update the sound (like a dad at a disco) but probably a nice little earner with the associated tour, and a new theatrical stage production next year.

meltonboy

^^ oh dear. Why on earth did they do that ? Apart from the obvious ££

In fact, despite my love of the original albumn i don't think the story is that great. I much preferred the Tripods from a story perspective.

MB

richardb70

Distinguished Member
We get regular plays of the original WotW in our house, my five year old loves it. Tried to listen to the updated version but it's just awful.

meltonboy

^^ I'll deffo avoid the updated version then.

I never thought of playing it to the offspring. it seems quite old hat to have a musical play rather than a pixar film on the dvd player. Might give it a go sometime. Does he/she actually listen to the story or just like the songs and sound effects ?

MB

richardb70

Distinguished Member
^^ I'll deffo avoid the updated version then.

I never thought of playing it to the offspring. it seems quite old hat to have a musical play rather than a pixar film on the dvd player. Might give it a go sometime. Does he/she actually listen to the story or just like the songs and sound effects ?

MB

She mostly listens to the songs and sound effects (and does a pretty good HOOOO LAAAA too!) but the interest in the story is building slowly. Try bunging it on in the car and see what happens!

fluxo

Distinguished Member
Is this the first time a visual version has been set in the correct time period?

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Is this the first time a visual version has been set in the correct time period?
You know I think it is.

I can remember the Tom Cruise and Gene Barry versions but both were set in the States in their own time. There was also that TV series with Jared Martin but same thing.

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
there was a low budget version set in the right time period that surfaced around the same time as the Spielberg one but, having seen it, saying it's not that great would be a bit of an understatement.
At nearly 3 hours long it seemed to go on forever and the way they tried to make it look like a hundred year old film didn't really work with all the low grade CGI. I wanted to like it but it wasn't a particularly entertaining experience watching it.

The War of the Worlds (Video 2005) - IMDb

mtenga

Distinguished Member
there was a low budget version set in the right time period that surfaced around the same time as the Spielberg one but, having seen it, saying it's not that great would be a bit of an understatement.
At nearly 3 hours long it seemed to go on forever and the way they tried to make it look like a hundred year old film didn't really work with all the low grade CGI. I wanted to like it but it wasn't a particularly entertaining experience watching it.

The War of the Worlds (Video 2005) - IMDb
Didn't miss much by the sound of it!

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Goliath was a 2012 animated version. Full version can be found on YouTube, not posted here due to copyright reasons, but it's supposedly a bad film

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
I was going to mention Goliath aswell despite it, technically, being a sequel. It had good points but overall I didn't like it much. I liked the steampunk scifi angle but the story was really weak compared to what HG Wells came up with. The trailer makes it look like it isn't actually that bad, but that's trailers for you, I guess.
I still think if they'd done an animated adaptation of WOTW rather than try to expand on the original story it would have been a much better end result, seeing as it's mostly the story part where it fails

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution