War Of The Worlds and Iron Man Talk (Films in the pipeline).

Garrett

Reaction score
I have just been watching Film 2004 with Tom Cruise and there was talk of him in a film version of The War of the Worlds and Iron Man.

I hope it is from the story by HG Wells, rather than the 50’s film.

As to Iron Man I thought Timothy Dalton would have made a good Tony Stark he looked very much like Tony Stark in The Rocketeer.

a new war of the worlds film would be good. TiVo recorded film 2004 for me but not watched it yet. thanks for the heads up to concentrate :)

I like the 50s WotW but agree an adaptation from the original book rather than a remake of the 50s version would be a better production.

War of the Worlds with proper 'Fighting machines' and the 'Thunder Child' would be superb. I absolutely love the audio version.

Regards, Mylo

If this is the same version of "WOTW" that was starting production in 2001, then don't hold your breath on it being a close adaptation of Welles' novel.

The production was put on hold after 9/11 because there were scenes planned that showed the destruction of modern-day New York.

Originally posted by mylo
War of the Worlds with proper 'Fighting machines' and the 'Thunder Child' would be superb. I absolutely love the audio version.

Regards, Mylo

I want Thunder Child as well, come on Thunder Child:clap:

The first time I played it I had it in a cassette and was coming home late at night on a country back road, and the ending when they send a craft to Mars and well that’s a spoiler, anyway it was then I spotted a light high up quite near and it freighted me for a few seconds till I realised it was a beacon.
Thinking of the above I wonder what happened to the Beagle probe :rolleyes:

Not sure if a version of Iron Man would be any better than the animated Iron Giant? That's if we're talking about the same Ted Hughes-based Iron Man...

No, this "Iron Man" / Tony Stark is a Marvel Comics super hero.

Just found this info on a new War of the Worlds movie...

"Independent film company Pendragon Pictures was planning to start production of The War of the Worlds in Seattle, WA on October 15, 2001 on a budget of $42 million, but the terrible events of 9/11 caused the firm to shelve the project for the foreseeable future, since the picture was slated to include the destruction of Seattle by 10-story death machines. According to director Timothy Hines, "The whole world was touched by the WTC experience. For us personally those planes slammed directly into our lives. We lost a very close friend and have been in mourning. We also watched portions of our fictional screenplay being played out on September 11th. I knew immediately we couldn't do War of the Worlds as conceived." If the film does go forward, the setting will probably be changed back to Victorian England rather than being set in modern day Seattle. Originally slated for an October 31, 2002 release date, the film has now been pushed back to at least 2005.

Complicating matters, Tom Cruise, in conjunction with Paramount Pictures, announced he would begin production on a separate War of the Worlds film sometime in 2003. Michael Fleming of Variety reported that Steven Spielberg is rumored to be candidate for directing the film."

So seems that Tom Cruise is going to be doing the new Paramount film and not the film by Pendragon, will be interesting to see what happens.

Why is America so P.C.? they have no problem showing there kids violence , but as soon as a city is destroyed, a film is shelved

Originally posted by rhoamish
Not sure if a version of Iron Man would be any better than the animated Iron Giant? That's if we're talking about the same Ted Hughes-based Iron Man...

Although not the best of picture this will give you an idea if Iron Man and Tony Stark.

Attachments

• iron stark....jpg
    iron stark....jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 220
Originally posted by Garrett
I want Thunder Child as well, come on Thunder Child:clap:

Believe it or not- the ship that Thunder Child was based on, HMS Polyphemus was still a hulk in Hong Kong harbour as late as 1955. I don't know what happened after that. A completely unique ship as the worlds only torpedo steam ram, she featured odd features such as a third rudder at the front to improve agility, a gun armament consisting only of 1 inch calibre (!) machine guns and a battery of whitehead torpedo tubes. Extremely fast for a reciprocating engined ship (23knts on trials) she was a terrible sea boat and deeply unpopular to sail on. Were it not for Wells I suspect she would be an obscure note in naval history.

Got any piccys Tons?

I shall try and find some in my lunch hour :).

EDIT

Have been sent two pics by my colleague at university- how does one put them up?

Open Photoshop and open your picture up and crop it to the framing you want Now there are 2 ways to go here, one is to click on resize and alter the resolution till you get your Pixel Dimensions at the top of the box 107b(the max Width and Height is 300???pixels I think). Re-save as an other name than the original.

Then when posting look near the foot of the page where it says Attach File click the Browse button then click on on your HD for it and click it. If you have too many pixels or the file size is too big you will be told when posting so just nip back into your package and reduce what needs to be made smaller.

You can get a larger picture about 500*500 if you have a save to web function. But 300*300 is preferred when posting in the General Chat.

If you cannot get it to work Tons, I have found 2 B&W pictures but will not post them yet as you have come up with the info and I do not want to steal your Thunder Child.:D

Please feel free sir- I have just been reminded by my colleagues that instruction manuals don't write themselves :blush: so may actually have to do some work. If you like, you can PM me with an email address and I will send my 2 pics
Ed

Are they different to these pics Tons?

Attachments

• polyphemus.......jpg
    polyphemus.......jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 138
I've got a side aspect and a small schematic

Pictures supplied by Tons of Fun and friends.

Attachments

• hms.poyl....jpg
    hms.poyl....jpg
    31 KB · Views: 124
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Excellent, cheers chaps.

That is a beast.

Tony Stark is going to the big screen! With War Machine I hop, not much details, but the writers havegood pedigree, being involved with X-men and Spiderman. Looking forward to it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371746/

Hope you do not mind me joining the threads Harj as it was on the same subject. ;)

Well done Garrett, I searched for this thread but failed. :smashin:

mylo said:
Well done Garrett, I searched for this thread but failed. :smashin:

I did a search a few days ago myself as we were talking about War of the Worlds in the music forum and did a search on Iron Man and got nothing back, I but tried it again with Harj posting on Iron Man to see it brought his up and got his thread and this original one.
The Spectre must be tweaking the software.

Quite looking forward to an Iron Man film. Here's hoping they spend some money to give him a decent suit of armour and not something that looks like its been bought at Toys R' Us. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom