War Of the Worlds 2005

mrmcdean

Established Member
Reaction score
£12.77 instore at Tesco - says its a promotional offer for this week only i think.

2 disk DTS version just in case there's more than one doing the rounds

Thanks, looks like a trip to Tesco tomorrow :)

With the benefit of hindsight this film is pretty poor. The tripods were the best thing about it, certainly not the acting or plot. Also, it was more like a road trip rather than a war. Read the novel already. HG Welles 'Owns' Spielberg imo :lesson:

Agreed wasn't what i'd expected when I went to the cinema. A pale resemblence to the original. Nonetheless as a film a gripping watch even if Spielberg thinks he can rewrite the history books.

Well I didnt like it at all, I just couldnt leave my brain switched off so it just really annoyed me all the way through, once they got in the *only* vehicle that worked - that was it, completely went down the hill! :(

Still, not a bad price though ?? :D

I'm in no rush to get it. Didn't think much of the film at all but i will get it at some point for demo purposes! ;)

Gorshin2.0 said:
With the benefit of hindsight this film is pretty poor. The tripods were the best thing about it, certainly not the acting or plot. Also, it was more like a road trip rather than a war. Read the novel already. HG Welles 'Owns' Spielberg imo :lesson:

CMIIW, but wasn't WotW set in ENGLAND?
Twice now they have sacrileged the book... :nono:
I've not seen the new film but I believe it won't be a patch on the original film. One day perhaps they'll do one set in ENGLAND, the definitive and proper film... When Hollywood freezes over...
I live near Woking in Surrey, and there is a life size model of a tripod from the book. And the HG Wells Centre too...
(see attached...) :)

Attachments

• tripod in woking.jpg
    tripod in woking.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 135
Available from Asda for the same price :smashin:

As for the comments about it being a poor film :eek: :nono: It is one of the best and most important films in years :lesson:

Almost same price. Local Asda was £12.97

Lex said:
Available from Asda for the same price :smashin:

As for the comments about it being a poor film :eek: :nono: It is one of the best and most important films in years :lesson:

Would have to disagree with this... This is a perfect example of how far acceptable standards for movies in general have fallen. If this had been a Lucas effort I could understand, but what we are left with is another film where they are more concerned with some daft 9/11 symmetry and "here's what we can do with special effects" than an actually credible story line. Instead we got a disjointed shambles!!!

As for it being one of the best and most important films in years, I would say it is the best example for a number of years in how to turn a great story/huge budget into a film that is instantly forgetable(except perhaps for the sound of the droning tripod lasers).

The fact that people are swithering whether to pay £6.99 for it, tells a story in itself...

Saw it for the first time today and was really disappointed! It would have been so much better if they had used the tripods in a Edwardian stetting.

Think I preferred the 1953 version... which is re-released this week complete with Orson Wells radio drama. :)

This isn't really the right place to have this debate again, there are already several thread debating the qualities of this modern masterpiece if people wish to read them :)

thoroughly off-topic, I'm aware, but how do tripods actually manage to keep their balance once one "foot" is lifted - like for "walking" purposes e.g.?!?

Bought War Of The Worlds yesterday £12.99 from Sainsburys

There be a supermarket war on.

R3 just dispatched from CDWOW - later release but only £8.50 :clap:

PJTX100 said:
R3 just dispatched from CDWOW - later release but only £8.50

Me too :clap: Shame it won't be here for the weekend though. :(

Tejstar said:
Me too :clap: Shame it won't be here for the weekend though. :(

Got mine this morning.

Decent packaging, includes outer slip-sleeve.

Also includes a WOTW LED torch! :eek: :D

was pretty lame , saw it on the plane on way back from america and wouldnt watch it again for sure 4/10

PJTX100 said:
Got mine this morning.

Decent packaging, includes outer slip-sleeve.

Also includes a WOTW LED torch!

Me too! Was wondering what that thing on the front was! :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom