Quantcast

War Of the Worlds 2005

mrmcdean

Novice Member
£12.77 instore at Tesco - says its a promotional offer for this week only i think.

2 disk DTS version just in case there's more than one doing the rounds

per-Sony-fied

Novice Member
Thanks, looks like a trip to Tesco tomorrow :)

G

Gorshin2.0

With the benefit of hindsight this film is pretty poor. The tripods were the best thing about it, certainly not the acting or plot. Also, it was more like a road trip rather than a war. Read the novel already. HG Welles 'Owns' Spielberg imo :lesson:

per-Sony-fied

Novice Member
Agreed wasn't what i'd expected when I went to the cinema. A pale resemblence to the original. Nonetheless as a film a gripping watch even if Spielberg thinks he can rewrite the history books.

imnotrich

Well I didnt like it at all, I just couldnt leave my brain switched off so it just really annoyed me all the way through, once they got in the *only* vehicle that worked - that was it, completely went down the hill! :(

Deeez Nuuutz

I'm in no rush to get it. Didn't think much of the film at all but i will get it at some point for demo purposes! ;)

D

devol

Gorshin2.0 said:
With the benefit of hindsight this film is pretty poor. The tripods were the best thing about it, certainly not the acting or plot. Also, it was more like a road trip rather than a war. Read the novel already. HG Welles 'Owns' Spielberg imo :lesson:
CMIIW, but wasn't WotW set in ENGLAND?
Twice now they have sacrileged the book... :nono:
I've not seen the new film but I believe it won't be a patch on the original film. One day perhaps they'll do one set in ENGLAND, the definitive and proper film... When Hollywood freezes over...
I live near Woking in Surrey, and there is a life size model of a tripod from the book. And the HG Wells Centre too...
(see attached...) :)

Attachments

partyweb

Novice Member
devol said:
I live near Woking in Surrey, and there is a life size model of a tripod from the book. And the HG Wells Centre too...

Yup, saw that a couple of years ago, when I drove through the town and I really freaked me out. :eek:

Lex

Novice Member
Available from Asda for the same price :smashin:

As for the comments about it being a poor film :eek: :nono: It is one of the best and most important films in years :lesson:

per-Sony-fied

Novice Member
Almost same price. Local Asda was £12.97

robbleiper

Lex said:
Available from Asda for the same price :smashin:

As for the comments about it being a poor film :eek: :nono: It is one of the best and most important films in years :lesson:
Would have to disagree with this... This is a perfect example of how far acceptable standards for movies in general have fallen. If this had been a Lucas effort I could understand, but what we are left with is another film where they are more concerned with some daft 9/11 symmetry and "here's what we can do with special effects" than an actually credible story line. Instead we got a disjointed shambles!!!

As for it being one of the best and most important films in years, I would say it is the best example for a number of years in how to turn a great story/huge budget into a film that is instantly forgetable(except perhaps for the sound of the droning tripod lasers).

The fact that people are swithering whether to pay £6.99 for it, tells a story in itself...

Gordon D

Novice Member
Saw it for the first time today and was really disappointed! It would have been so much better if they had used the tripods in a Edwardian stetting.

Think I preferred the 1953 version... which is re-released this week complete with Orson Wells radio drama. :)

Lex

Novice Member
This isn't really the right place to have this debate again, there are already several thread debating the qualities of this modern masterpiece if people wish to read them :)

Mics49

Novice Member
thoroughly off-topic, I'm aware, but how do tripods actually manage to keep their balance once one "foot" is lifted - like for "walking" purposes e.g.?!?

mjbtin

Bought War Of The Worlds yesterday £12.99 from Sainsburys

per-Sony-fied

Novice Member
There be a supermarket war on.

PJTX100

R3 just dispatched from CDWOW - later release but only £8.50 :clap:

PJTX100

Tejstar said:
Me too :clap: Shame it won't be here for the weekend though. :(
Got mine this morning.

Decent packaging, includes outer slip-sleeve.

Also includes a WOTW LED torch! :eek: :D

partyweb

Novice Member
PJTX100 said:
Got mine this morning.

Also includes a WOTW LED torch! :eek: :D
WOW dispatched yesterday from cd-wow & received today :thumbsup:

And I've got a torch too :clap: :eek: :clap: Well done cd-wow :smashin:

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
PJTX100 said:
Got mine this morning.

Also includes a WOTW LED torch!
Me too! Was wondering what that thing on the front was! :D