Quantcast

War of the Worlds (2005) 4K UHD

Kone

I will pass on this remake bit. I have the real one.
That is all I need.
I'm not a fan of the remakes.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Not the best film, but it should sound amazing!!

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Not the best film but it should look amazing too!

Racquel Darrian

I love this and should sound great.

movieman1866

I will pass on this remake bit. I have the real one.
That is all I need.
I'm not a fan of the remakes.
That's a bit of a sweeping statement and you'd miss out on some great movies. Apart from this, which I thoroughly enjoy, three other remakes I would highly recommend would be The Thing (1982), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) and Ben Hur (1959). I would agree that most remakes are poor compared with the original Ben Hur (2016) and Papillon (2017) being recent examples.

Racquel Darrian

I would hope that the bass would remain unfiltered for the Atmos track. The blu ray sounds amazing when the pod comes out of the ground, although my neighbours might not agree.
I also love the lightening storm.

PS3 Kiwi

I haven't watched this version of War of the Worlds since the year it was released on DVD (which I have since sold). I remember thinking that it was highly underrated at the time.

The DVD had an incredibly deep LFE channel, which really shook the house.

So, if Paramount do a good job of the restoration in 4K, I will be at the front of the queue when it becomes available.

Tim2049

Quite a pioneering film in certain respects. The way it captured huge FX shots within 'shakey-cam' was a step forward and the visuals still hold up beautifully.

Not sure if I'll get the 4k disc, because the cinematography was always very saturated and grainy, so I'm a little sceptical in terms of how much better it can look.

As an aside, it's a frustrating film. Almost really excellent, but the somewhat naff, sentimental ending definitely hurts it...

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Went to see this at the Empire theater in Wellington, NZ (the one Peter Jackson used for the LOTR premieres). Lovely old school cinema, had great seats and sound. I loved the film and it was textbook Spielberg......the sound on DVD and then Bluray was great.

Assuming the UHD release has Atmos/DTS-X then could be worth a purchase for that alone, but not sure the visuals will be massively improved due to the image being purposefully grainy and a specific stylized look. Will wait for the reviews.

Indiana Jones

You only have to look at others films that are very grainy with a stylised look such as Saving Private Ryan to see just how much of an improvement the UHD can offer so very excited by this.

rjrodders

The 2005 blu ray is in my top 5 demo disks audio-wise, the fact I love the movie as well also helps.
IMO, it's one of those disks that scares the living daylights out of you sound soundwise one minute
and then is perfectly nuanced with the more subtle scenes; almost reminiscent of "a quiet place"

I have used this movie as my go-to test disc with each upgrade I have made to my system over the last 15 years or so and its great to have such a top-notch all-round sound mix to cross-reference the improvements over the years, upmixed ATMOS, for example, sounded superb and made an already enveloping bombastic sound stage even wider brilliant.

This is a must-buy for me cannot wait :)

PS3 Kiwi

As I don't own this movie anymore, after selling off my DVD collection. Its a no-brainer to buy the 4K release. Agree with the comment on the ending, but the rest of the movie is pretty good as far as I can remember.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
I don't own this on physical media either at the mo.

From memory, it was a pretty intense experience at the cinema, given how frighteningly aggresive the sound mix was.

Only a sound bar for me these days so i’ll miss out on that. Shame but hey ho.

Fully expect to look amazing, so i’ll own it at some point, even thought the movie is a mixture of sublime (1st half) and pretty pants (2nd half) for me.

mikemag

Distinguished Member
On repeat viewings I usually watch this until the point at which Justin Chatwin disappears over the hill and we have the scenes with Tim Robbins, then for some reason the film just loses me.

Without doubt it’s going to be a great disc but more likely than not something I’m hoping will be in a Zoom 3 for £30 deal come Black Friday week.

simonblue

Distinguished Member
On repeat viewings I usually watch this until the point at which Justin Chatwin disappears over the hill and we have the scenes with Tim Robbins, then for some reason the film just loses me.

Without doubt it’s going to be a great disc but more likely than not something I’m hoping will be in a Zoom 3 for £30 deal come Black Friday week.
Same here, going to be one for an price drop :)

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Watched this again recently - awesome. I love the Tim Robbins/Shawshank reference (his character digging his walls).

Dakota Fanning was such an excellent child actor; shame she hasn’t quite transferred that to adulthood.

4K UHD Fan

UK physical disc announcement is taking a while are we even getting one as the whole UK industry seems to be shuttered right now probably making medical equipment instead of pressing discs!

Indiana Jones

UK physical disc announcement is taking a while are we even getting one as the whole UK industry seems to be shuttered right now probably making medical equipment instead of pressing discs!
I doubt a disc manufacturer could be easily re-configred to start making medical equipment and plenty will still be manufacturing as normal including where I work, from a business perspective nothing has changed for us accept all office staff are now working from home, the rest of us are still doing our normal 9-6 production shifts.

As for this film getting a UK release it has never been officially announced so might be weeks/months later or perhaps never.

Racquel Darrian

.......all office staff are now working from home, the rest of us are still doing our normal 9-6 production shifts........
I have to ask if all your office staff can work from home why were they going into work before?

Indiana Jones

I have to ask if all your office staff can work from home why were they going into work before?
Trust me I have been wondering the same thing the last few weeks, think going forward many businesses will be reevaluating a great many things, bad timing all round really as we only just moved into the new premises two weeks ago after spending a lot of money on fitting the new place out, been up to the office several times and it all looks very nice but have to wonder if it will ever be used as originally invisioned as the world is a much different place than it was 6 months ago.

Trending threads

Latest News

CES 2021 to go ahead 'in person'
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips 800 Series OLED TVs come to UK in July
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 31st May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
MQA expands global partnerships for high end experience