WAPs with BT home hub 3

ArcAngel78

Novice Member
I read that the hh3 changes channels if it senses interference and was wondering of this will impact on my plans to add an extra wap to my new network? (new house is fairly big with lots of solid brick walls and other electronics)

Was preferably looking for something small that can be powered via Poe from my netgear switch.

Any suggestions gratefully received

mickevh

Distinguished Member
It's not just HH's - lots of AP's have some form of "auto-tuning" and sometimes "auto-power" features. You can usually turn them off.

ArcAngel78

Novice Member
Ok thanks. I take it that you have to turn them off to add the wap?

Any recommendations on a particular make/model? I was planning on sticking with netgear

Thks

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Not particularly. It's just that if you've got several AP's (bear in mind that one of your AP's is the one built in to your HH) all auto-channelling, they could end up spending half their time trying to avoid each other.

In a domestic setting, with only a few AP's, I'd prefer to set the channels myself. But at work I've got a couple of hundred AP's and manually managing that would take all my time, so I leave them to get on with it automatically.

Bear in mind that the Wi-Fi airwaves is a "dynamic" environment that is constantly changing as devices move around, the weather changes, etc. etc and what is a good channel in any given locale on one day may not be the next.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom