Wanting to upgrade AV & DVD to Arcam

MSW

Distinguished Member
Currently have Cambridge Audio equipment running Mordaunt SHort Genie.

Have decided that the AVR350 & DVD79 is for me.

Issue is I don't want to change the speakers.

Anyone of hear got on views (good / bad) experience of running Mordaunt Short Genie with Arcam.

Last thing I want is an amp which is to many leagues above my Amp and, if this is the case then I'll stick with my C-Audio.

Not sure if it is relevant my amp is the 640R

All the best
MArk

Dankeech

To be honest, I'd not be expecting a Sub/Sat combo like the Genie to be anywhere near the class of the AVR350. If you're not wanting to go the whole hog and upgrade your speakers, maybe it'd be a good idea to go for an AVR280 from SUperfi (£599) or an AVR300, and upgrade your speakers in order to get a better balanced system.

I doubt a sub/sat setup like the genie will do much other than hold back the AVR350 :)seriously.

Dan.

eaglemmoomin

Novice Member
I'd have to say you'd have the same issue with a 280(9!) or a 300.

Oh you meant use the price difference from a 350 to 280/300 to upgrade the speaker package did'nt you:smashin:

MSW

Distinguished Member
To be honest, I'd not be expecting a Sub/Sat combo like the Genie to be anywhere near the class of the AVR350. If you're not wanting to go the whole hog and upgrade your speakers, maybe it'd be a good idea to go for an AVR280 from SUperfi (£599) or an AVR300, and upgrade your speakers in order to get a better balanced system.

I doubt a sub/sat setup like the genie will do much other than hold back the AVR350 :)seriously.

Dan.
Thanks for that, thought it could well be an issue.

Will have think / look around on what is a good speaker match with an Arcam.

Cheers

Mark

Dankeech

Oh you meant use the price difference from a 350 to 280/300 to upgrade the speaker package did'nt you:smashin:
:smashin: Should give you about £600 changing to the AVR280 at Superfi's price, and little loss in quality over the AVR350

That's about the price range of a pair of fronts at the starting range of Arcam AVR series, especially if going second hand. Perhaps a pair of Dali Ikon floorstanders on the 2nd hand market or a pair of Monitor Audio RS8's and a matching centre 2nd hand, leaving surrounds/sub only to buy....

Dan.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom