• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

wanting new box

paulpa66

Standard Member
have looked at Foxsat HDR 500GB , is this as good as most,better, any others i should maybe look at? not too fussed with 500gb smaller would be ok .

Gavtech

Administrator
have looked at Foxsat HDR 500GB , is this as good as most,better, any others i should maybe look at? not too fussed with 500gb smaller would be ok .

...is OK.

clemenzina

Established Member

However, if you intend to store HD recordings for any length of time, be aware that they take up a lot more space than SD :)

Most of the HD PVRs have at least 500gb drives - the Tesco Technika Smartbox (Freeview not Freesat and it's a glitchy box) with only 320gb is one exception.

clemenzina

Gavtech

Administrator
However, if you intend to store HD recordings for any length of time, be aware that they take up a lot more space than SD :)

Are you certain of that Clem?

Indeed one would think it is obviously so, but HD recordings use MPEG4 compression which is much more 'efficient' at discarding data than MPEG2 compression used for SD, so despite HD starting with considerably more data than SD, they end up not being too dissimilar in storage terms.

clemenzina

Established Member
Well, Gav, come to think of it I've been surprised when my HDD says, eg, 20% when I'd have though it'd have been more, but I've been categorically told (by none other than fellow-members of course, I don't go anywhere else much for techie support besides here and DS) that we really need 1tb for HD recordings because, etc...

(I thought you must be "creddish", it's usually he who comes along saying "you've got it wrong clemenzina" ;) )

clemenzina

brookheather

Distinguished Member
Are you certain of that Clem?

Indeed one would think it is obviously so, but HD recordings use MPEG4 compression which is much more 'efficient' at discarding data than MPEG2 compression used for SD, so despite HD starting with considerably more data than SD, they end up not being too dissimilar in storage terms.

Depends on the SD channel - the SD bitrates vary from 2-4 Mbp/s and the HD channels are 6-7 Mbp/s so you will need two to three times the storage space.

- Simon.

darucla

Established Member
I recently got a DVDS2 card for my PC, and a test recording of Planet Earth weighs in at 3.8GB, so about twice what I'd expect from Freeview SD.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom