Wanting a new bridge camera with a budget of £300, help please

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Keithhampson, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Keithhampson

Keithhampson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello I am wanting a bridge camera and have a budget of 300, I am wanting a longer zoom, I am only a point and shoot person and never do any pp so I want the photo straight out of the camera.

I will be using it for family shots, holidays, wildlife, concerts, landscapes and taking photos of airplanes.

I have seen a couple in my price range but I'm unsure if they are best camera for my budget.
    Canon SX50, Canon SX60 and Nikon P610.

Can anyone give me any advice please.

Thank you, Keith

2. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,825
    If you're set on a Bridge suprezoom then you should probably have a look at this

2015 Superzoom Camera Roundup: Digital Photography Review

SX60 does quite well - given the issues that all small sensor superzooms will introduce of course

Also have a look at some of their other recommended/suggestions at the end like the P610 if 1200mm zoom would be "enough" ;)

Jim

3. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    Dunno why it's not in that list, but I'd be recommending the Panasonic FZ200. 600mm eq is plenty, and it's f2.8 throughout the range meaning better light and also the possibility of some subject isolation.

4. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    P610 from fotosense.co.uk is £269 with 3 year warranty included.

Great camera as a bridge.

Ice

5. Keithhampson

Keithhampson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That seems a good deal is fotosence a reliable company, great price thanks

6. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Yes. When you go on the site you see that Google rates them high and when my son purchased his camera google kept tabs on progress and updated him, as did fotosense.

Have a look. Google ratings are on the right.

Ice

7. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    Keith just a word of warning. When I started out I was wowed by the mega zooms and thought I absolutely had to have the longest zoom I could find (1200mm equivalent), which at the time was the Sony HX300. I think I kept it all of 4 weeks. Whilst the zoom is impressive the only time I used it was to wow over how far it would reach. It's really difficult to keep stable and on top of that you start introducing atmospheric aberrations that cause IQ to drop.

I was amazed when I looked back at my general photos that the majority were in the 24-70mm range. If you do a lot of wildlife/bird photography then range is important, BUT on your average bridge cameras with small sensor keeping ISO down is vital. The FZ200 I mentioned lets in approximately 6x more light at the long end, albeit 'only' 600mm, and so ISO will be over 2 stops lower which will make a big difference.

8. Keithhampson

Keithhampson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thank you for that , sorry for my lack of knowledge but what does 2 stops mean.

9. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    A stop refers to light either being double or halved, and is controlled by either/or ISO, aperture and shutter. So if you gain 2 stops of light the light doubles, and then doubles again, so 4 x more than you started from. The more light you get the lower the ISO you can use and the clearer and sharper your images will be.

10. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
  11. Keithhampson

Keithhampson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    At a crossroads now, the Panasonic has a faster lens against the Nikon P610 that handles noise better at higher ISO, do I need 60x zoom and will 24x be enough. Both produce sharp photos, what do I buy?

12. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,825
    the Panasonic will allow you to use lower ISO and hence will actually have better noise handling overall - get the Panasonic 600mm handheld equivalent focal length should be enough for anyone IMO...

13. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    I would read some reviews on the Panasonic FZ200 before you do anything. Its good............but not that much difference over a bridge. Check them out. Even the Panny FZ200 has issues at iso above 800............and you lose a hell of a lot more on the 60x zoom, especially the Nikon.

Go check the reviews.

[​IMG]Darkside of the moon 2014 by ice, on Flickr

The shot above was taken with a Sony HX300 but still needed a tripod and patience to that shot but bridge cameras are good...............if you work within the parameters of the camera.

ice

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  14. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    The FZ200 is a bridge :p ;)

15. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    This is the trouble though Ice, if the FZ200 is at 800 ISO at f2.8 at the long end the P610 would be around 3200 ISO or maybe more (not exactly sure what the aperture would be at 600mm to be honest, but the apertures do stop down VERY quickly on bridges and compacts). Look at the difference here (there's not FZ200 so had to use the FZ1000 which is newer so will have marginally better noise handling so take this into consideration)

Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

16. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501

Yes

ice

17. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501

The 610 is sitting at F3.3 if I remember right. I have used it Snerks and its a great camera. I tend to get the hell out of auto and fart about with the setting much the annoyance of my son and can get some truly stunning results. but its the extra's the Nikon has over the Panny that make the difference. All the features and 5 axis VR stabilization!! Not sure what that Panasonic has...........and the Panasonic was released 2012 I think. Na, I would go for the Nikon.

The OP did say he wanted a point and shoot bridge so maybe we better stop talking shopor tech and let the man choose himself on feeeeeely tooouchy thing. aye

ice

18. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    Yep usability is key. I'm not doubting the capability of the P610 mate, I've seen cracking shots with it. And I got some great shots with my HX300. They do need good light though hence my preference for the Panny, but of course it depends how they're going to be used :smashin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Keithhampson

Keithhampson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I can get both cameras for the same price £260, yes it has no fixed purpose that I will use the camera for, some will be indoors at family parties and holidays.

I rarely print photos and if I do it will not be bigger than a4. From what I can see is the Panasonic auto focus is better than the p610 in low light but the Nikon handles noise better at higher ISO.

Can any fz200 answer this, my old Panasonic had a a zoom and then a ez zoom option where it would increase the zoom without affecting the IQ at the cost of resolution, so basically cropping the photo in the camera, what focal length would this give me in the Panasonic fz200 by doing this if it has that option? I'm not a fan of digital zoom.

I am still undecided but it looks like one of these 2 cameras now and both are the same price.

I am unsure if I would ever need 60x zoom but unsure if 24x would be enough.

So I am still reading what you guys put and thank you for doing so.

Keith

20. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    Not sure about the exact FL with cropping, but I tend to do all my cropping in post processing anyway.

I've tried to find the aperture drop with the P610 but I can't find it unfortunately to compare how much you'd have to ramp up ISO at each focal length in comparison to the FZ200. I'm not sure your findings are right about the noise handling of the Nikon tbh as the Panny has slightly larger pixels meaning it should handle noise better. Of course, this isn't the be all and end all of noise handling so Nikon could well be doing some magic in processing.

TBH I've just seen that the Nikon doesn't do RAW so that'd rule it out straight away for me, but of course that's not the same for everyone.

Here's the reasons I'd buy the FZ200:-

Shoots RAW
    Constant f2.8 aperture
    Faster continuous shooting
    Better battery life
    Has external mic port for video (Not important to me ;))

Here's the pros of the Nikon

16MP vs 12MP of the Panny
    Better resolution LCD screen
    Longer zoom
    Wifi (not important to me ;))

21. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    I would get the Nikon because it available in Pink! No..... Sorry its Red! Yes its Red.

And just for that I would buy it.

But I do like Pink!

Ice

22. Keithhampson

Keithhampson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My biggest concern with the p610 is its low light capabilities, my intention is to have one camera only, I don't have a pc to pp my pics so raw does not appeal to me.

I am not a digital camera expert but maybe both are not terrific in low light, I just don't know enough about them as I'm just a point and shoot person

23. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    It's a difficult one tbh as you'll find that when you come onto forums like this most people tend to be enthusiasts and so info is a bit skewed as to what is good or bad, and what is acceptable or not ;) I think the non enthusiast will find most compacts and bridge cameras are more than acceptable and produce images good enough for what you are looking for. In fact, a lot of modern day compacts and bridges are good enough for some enthusiasts. Also remember that a bridge camera is just a compact camera in a bigger body and with bigger zoom so IQ will be on par.

Exposure being equal the only way you can improve low light/high ISO handling is to increase the size of the sensor, but this generally costs more, means shorter zoom, and in most cases more bulk.

P.S. I've just realised I made a numpty mistake and was getting myself confused earlier. Ignore that studio comparison I posted, the FZ1000 has a 1" sensor so much bigger than the 1/2.3" sensor of the P610 and FZ200 and so noise handling will be much better on the FZ1000.

24. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Hi Keith,

You may find my thread from last summer useful...

Is the Lumix FZ200 due a replacement soon? Should I hold back? | AVForums

Spent a lot of time messing about, got the fz200 before our holiday and then took it straight back to the shop when we got home. Swapped it for a lumix g6 and very glad I did.

Just wasn't good enough in low light, and even shadow areas in good light were not very good. The problem with most of these bridge cameras is they have very small sensors.

Unless you absolutely need the mega range of a bridge camera would an olympus omd em10 not do you? Much better image quality. Jessops do it for 450 but then you get 75 quid back from olympus. Better still get John Lewis to price match at 450 and get much better after sales care, such as get a full refund of you don't like it. Plus you'll still get your 75 pound rebate.

And if you find you really do want more zoom maybe get a telephoto lens later on when you've got more cash.

25. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Think the OP said he has a budget of £300..!

I would still go for the Nikon.

Digital Rev have a pink Nikon.

Mmmmm!

Ice

26. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,825
    FZ200 - no way you need more than 600mm EFL most (95%+) of the time IMO unless you're Birding all the time....

27. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    I agree the Olly will give much better low light performance, but the OP wants a point and shoot with big zoom.

28. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    My Lumix G6 has a sensor quite a bit bigger than the lumix FZ1000 and with the comparable 14-140 mm lens is smaller and lighter. OK you do get more reach with the FZ1000 I guess but it's not massive.

29. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,825
    well it's only just over 2x /200%? ;)

...and well within budget...

30. Keithhampson

Keithhampson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I will need more or less than 600mm?

Can I ask what is low light to you?
    Low light to me means indoors and maybe zoomed into a concert stage. I never do night time shots unless I'm close enough to use the flash, am I being too critical for what I need?