• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wanted: Waterproof 'Camera Advice!

steviebwoy

Prominent Member
Hi guys,

Just a quick bit of buying advice if I may please.

I'm after a relatively cheap camera with video-capture capability. The key is that it needs to be waterproof as I intend to try and get some shots/video while surfing.

I've looked at the GoPro HD which looks like my cup of tea. It seems to allow a huge range of options - I could strap it to the bottom of my skateboard, to the front of my BMX, and on my car if I so desired. The one problem is that I'm not sure if the image quality of standalone photos will be very good. I love the idea of the 170 degree wide angle lense, I'm just not sure that 5MP will be good enough to capture really nice seascapes and wave movement etc. Would a still from a HD movie be a viable option? I can't imagine so..

I've also had a look at the Canon D10 which seems like an awesome bit of kit too. It affords a much higher image quality (12MP) and appears to produce decent video too, but it obviously doesn't come with the range of mounts that the GoPro models come with - for example, I couldn't attach it to my surfboard, or BMX. In addition, I guess shooting a lot of video would cause problems with battery power etc.

I guess I'm really choosing between chalk and cheese; that being an all-action camcorder that does photos, and a less-adaptible digital camera that does video.

If anyone could come up with any pointers to help me decide that'd be fantastic! Is there anyone out there that can vouch for the image quality of the GoPro, for example?

chrishull3

Prominent Member
Hi guys,

Just a quick bit of buying advice if I may please.

I'm after a relatively cheap camera with video-capture capability. The key is that it needs to be waterproof as I intend to try and get some shots/video while surfing.

I've looked at the GoPro HD which looks like my cup of tea. It seems to allow a huge range of options - I could strap it to the bottom of my skateboard, to the front of my BMX, and on my car if I so desired. The one problem is that I'm not sure if the image quality of standalone photos will be very good. I love the idea of the 170 degree wide angle lense, I'm just not sure that 5MP will be good enough to capture really nice seascapes and wave movement etc. Would a still from a HD movie be a viable option? I can't imagine so..

I've also had a look at the Canon D10 which seems like an awesome bit of kit too. It affords a much higher image quality (12MP) and appears to produce decent video too, but it obviously doesn't come with the range of mounts that the GoPro models come with - for example, I couldn't attach it to my surfboard, or BMX. In addition, I guess shooting a lot of video would cause problems with battery power etc.

I guess I'm really choosing between chalk and cheese; that being an all-action camcorder that does photos, and a less-adaptible digital camera that does video.

If anyone could come up with any pointers to help me decide that'd be fantastic! Is there anyone out there that can vouch for the image quality of the GoPro, for example?

Sanyo VPC-WH1EYL HD Waterproof Dual Video & Photo: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...f-HD-Camcorder-Digital-Camera/Product.html?se

there are quite a lot actaly, sanyo are not the only manafactuars that make them.

Last edited:

steviebwoy

Prominent Member

Thanks Chris, it was really just a toss-up between the GoPro & the Canon. I'd seen the Sanyo one before and it was slated in a load of reviews - plus it only does 2MP photos which is less than even the GoPro.

Any additional help please? :lease:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom