1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WANTED........Video Projector CRT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by janice, Nov 24, 2000.

1. janice

janice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to buy Barco 800 or Seleco 350

If you have got anyone of these please email me and I'll get back to you please include price you want...

andrewjanice@hotmail.com

2. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    janice,
    I know this may seem obvious, but have you actually seen the Ellié XS2000HT CRT projector from screensuk.com working?
    If you would like any feedback perhaps I can help.

Rob.
    ps. this may be a duplicate message!

4. janice

janice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jagular

Thanks for your reply i would be quite happy for a bit of feed back about the Ellie. As i was told that they where going out of business???

5. James McHugh

James McHugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Janice i don't know who told you that but we are very much on the up, and growing stronger
    every day.

6. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Janice, screensuk, and anybody reading this post, I must apologise for any confusion I may have caused! Please read my post as:- screensuk.co.uk NOT .com
    Phew!! Thanks for putting us at rest James, I've been trying to contact you through your web page with no success. Worth a check, or perhaps it was just meltdown caused by the scare???

Rob.

Janice, sorry, I will get back.

7. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Janice,

I’m back! OK then, here we go.
    If you’ve not looked at the HCC December review on the ‘Ellie’, I suggest you do so!
    My own opinion is this:
    If you want ‘Home Cinema’ go out and spend £16,000. Or, if you are like me, not quite that well off, spend as much time as you can looking at projectors for around £4,000 but don’t cut yourself short by not seeing the Ellie. As the forum suggests, this is about HOME CINEMA not computer presentations. If you want graphics, forget everything I’ve just said, I’m not into that, I just want to sit back in my easiest chair and look at films.
    I have an Ellie as you guesed, projecting onto a 6’ screen width , which puts the projector lens 9’ away from the screen.
    My seating position centre is about 12’ back.
    Viewing material is anything from analogue (very good compared to any TV) to anamorphic DVD (absolutely b***dy marvellous). My only gripe is the digital artefacts produced on SKY dig from the Beeb. Not so bad when the Grundig digibox is set to wide screen. Don’t ask me who’s causing this prob, it’s been asked on the forum before, the general synopsis is that it’s the way mpeg is decoded somewhere along the line. Nothing to do with the Projector, apart from producing a large crisp picture to see it in the first place. I digress.
    OK! Blacks seem to be the question on most peoples mind. There’s more than enough black (no light) that you’ll ever want. It’s a CRT. But that’s not the point, without a set-up disc I go for flesh tones and set-up the contrast to suit. If there’s not enough black, set ‘Black plus’ and re-adjust the contrast for shadow detail.
    Colour temp can be set with White balance and Gamma (infinitely variable, and tends come out slightly pink by default). Details on request.
    With CRT you have the widescreen width you want and have to accept a larger picture for 4:3(hardship), as opposed to having the widescreen width reduced for 4:3.

Just one or more things to think about,

Rob.

8. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Actually I think it is the Ellie that can only do 4:3. You can get other CRTs/Scalers to work with 16:9...

9. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No! CRT's work in 16:9 by reducing vert hight, thus retaining all horizontal lines. Other ratios including Anamorphic leterbox 16:9. Definition is increased, unlike LCD/DLP which remains the same "in theory" or slightly less "in practice. I'll be corrected if i'm wrong!
    All you do to watch widesreen on the Ellie is to reduce the hight and save this to a spare Bank. i.e Bank1 4:3/Letterbox, Bank2 16:9/Anamorphic etc.

Rob.

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Rob is correct about how CRT's deal with anamorphic and letterbox etc.

The only thing about the Ellie is that I don't believe it is possible to re-size a 4:3 image to fit within a 16:9 screen. I may be wrong though. Other than that it sounds pretty great.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

11. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Rob,

Your right about how CRTs do 16:9, Gordon made the point better about the Ellie not being able to scale 4:3 sources to a 16:9 screen.

All I meant is that it is possible to have a 16:9 screen with CRT.

I was sorely tempted by the Ellie a few months back, the main problem being that I'm in Aberdeen and was a bit concerned about the 500 mile distance they would have to travel to install :)

I ended up getting a second hand NEC data grade projector from Gordon which he did a superb job of installing at the weekend with (you've guessed it) a 16:9 2 metre screen.

Garry

12. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hush my MOUTH! Sorry Garry!
    We all seem to be comming from different angles. But yes! it's either the Screen or the Projector first (..was it the chicken or the egg?). In my case it was the Projector. Ouch!

New Balls please!!!

Mother used to say "..and make sure you put on clean underwear, just in case you have an accident"???

Rob.

13. janice

janice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all that replied, but could you give me the address of a decent supplier that will give me a preview of these machines in the Glasgow area. I've been to a few showrooms but they never seem to have the models that i'm interested in and do you need a line doubler???? and why??

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    I'm not sure if you've been to see us or not. We don't have Barco's or the smaller Seleco's on dem.

If you want to get an idea of what can be achieved from a Sony LCD or a s/h Sony 1251 data projector then Stereo Stereo can assist.

Sevenoaks in Glasgow have a Seleco400 on dem I think. You could ask them to turn off the line doubler on it and that'll give you a pretty good idea of what a Seleco 350/320 would look like. This is an easy task for them even if they haven't got a memory bank converged for un-line doubled it should only take a minute or so to do it and then maybe 5 minutes to touch up the convergence.

As has been noted here and on other threads I have had/still have a few S/H crt's for sale. I'll email you as per your instructions when I get home.

The only other contenders in Glasgow for CRT projectors would probably be Sports Screen UK in Hillington Industrial Estate, although they may only be doing LCD and DLP these days.

Happy hunting

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

15. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite right Gordon. I'm trying to say it's the other way round. The 16:9 fits the 4:3 screen width. When I bracketed 'hardship' I was being sarcastic.
    Rob.

16. janice

janice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all who wrote.. with great help i got intouch with Barco and they sent me out some information but abit on the expensive side.