Wanted: Simple but effective UPNP server for OSX

T3C

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Can somebody please help recommend, hopefully free UPNP server to share my iTunes collection over my network. I'm currently using an old version of TVeristy, 1.97 I think on a Windows machine that's basic but allows to broadcast just the folders I choose and nothing more.

I'm looking at Plex at the mo because I like to auto start at login on my mac and it looks easy to configure.

I've also been told PS3 media server is worth looking at too for mac.

Can anybody point me in the right direction.

Oh if it helps I want my itunes available to my Yamaha amp, ipad and panny tv over my network like my current pc setup, if possible.

Last edited:
Plex wins hands down for me, I used PS3MS for years but found the recent versions increasingly buggy.

I currently stream from my NAS thru Mac to T, iPad3, PS3, Laptop, bluray player flawlessly.

Really easy to setup, nice interface - no issues!

Last edited:
Is it possible to just show and share the folders/itunes I want? The main reason for sticking with TVersity on my old setup was the ability to share the folders and items I chose. Recent versions and many other media servers is sharing and showing many other items/channels than I want.

Currently if I use my Android tablet and select UPnPlay to look for a server it finds 'PlexMediaServer: Teds Mac Pro' as the library and that's fine. But, if I select that I get 'Video', 'Music' and 'Photos' which I can live with but prefer only the 'Music' to be displayed. After selecting 'Music' I get presented with quite a selection of things I don't need. I just want my iTunes library or the folders I choose. Is that possible with Plex or any other upnp server?

Last edited:
Yes you can.

I have specific folders for different items, my music and her music, my films and her films, that sort of thing.

It is fully customisable right down to specific content

I think if you select the 'edit' function when in the main library area, you can define what you want it to look at and whether or not you want the system to auto monitor the folders for change

Last edited:
Yes you can.

I have specific folders for different items, my music and her music, my films and her films, that sort of thing.

It is fully customisable right down to specific content

I think if you select the 'edit' function when in the main library area, you can define what you want it to look at and whether or not you want the system to auto monitor the folders for change

It's looking good but I can't seem to find where to 'edit' the media library list as you mentioned. Can you offer a bit more help please?

I think it is the spanner type symbol, on the left hand side if I remember correctly....

It took me a couple of times to find it and to be honest, stumbled across it by accident :0D
but I assure you it is in there somewhere ;)

Last edited:
I think it is the spanner type symbol, on the left hand side if I remember correctly....

It took me a couple of times to find it and to be honest, stumbled across it by accident :0D
but I assure you it is in there somewhere ;)

Still looking :)

Still can't find it...

Sorry, right then.

When you open up you media manager, it will open a web browse interface.
My mistake, on a Mac it is a pen not a spanner!

Click the pen next to My Library, then the options below with change to three symbols. 1, pen. 2, refresh. 3, circle with slash through.

If you select say the Movies section, click the Pen again next to the movies a pop up window will appear called Edit Section. From that you can Add or Delete specific folders the system uses to locate media.

In the top right of the web browse, there is a crossed spanner and screwdriver. If you click another window then opens. if you select 'Library" and then select the 'Update my library automatically' button it makes life easier :thumbsup:

Hope this helps and sorry for the misguidance earlier, what a spanner! :facepalm:

Sam

Thanks Sam.

Thanks for your help Sam but I think you might have missed my point.

It's the list that I see on my other devices that I want edit and remove excess items from.

At the moment my TVersity only sends out the very specific music folders I have chosen to share and not anything else. So I don't see 'music recommendations' or 'remote photos' nor do I want to see that.

My family don't like choice or searching for the right folder to click/tap on so with the amount of control the early version of TVersity gives is brilliant for us.

But, can I do the same with Plex or any other upnp server for OSX?

Thanks for your time though Sam spent helping so far

Ah, ok. Sorry I may have misunderstood your initial point.

When I first set this up for myself, I removed all the default folders and input my specific folders as I have a lot of junk on the server that I didnt really want access to from the iPad.

It did take a degree of self management when it came to creating folders on the server and what media went into these folders. If this is managed well, you will only see what you want to see and nothing else.

It pretty much says it all here, Guides - Plex

Particularly the organisation guide.

There is a lot of useful information, if you have time to read it all - I just played and fudged my way through and learned on the way :S

Sorry if I may have inadvertently added to the confusion!

Sam

Last edited:
I just played and fudged my way through and learned on the way :S

Sorry if I may have inadvertently added to the confusion!

Sam

Lol that sounds like the way I normally do things too :thumbsup:

I now discovered that my Yamaha 673 has airplay built in and as the house has moved over to nearly all Apple OS's it looks like I can setup 'HomeSharing' on the main iMac and add my iPad and 2 iPhones and my AppleTV via my Apple ID to share iTunes. Once setup I can use AirPlay from iPad to Yamaha in the sitting room or just the sharing feature to the iPhone when it's sat on it's dock in the kitchen. Maybe, even both at the same time too.

Does that sound right?

Yup,homeshare and airplay are very good ,and easy to use,.
Hit the airplay button,and it will bring up a list of what you have available to send it to.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom