1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted: opinions of Wharfedale

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cribeiro, Jan 29, 2004.

1. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Hi!

I have done a search here, and I couldn't find many opinions about Wharfedale speakers, as compared to others like Mission or Mordaunt Short.
    The truth is that I like the looks of the Diamond series, and I was thinking about them to match my Yamaha rx-v530 amplifier. I have also read some reviews, but I do not trust them much, they usually say good things about what they review... I trust more the opinions of people here, although I usually find that each one is fan of one brand, being them biased in evaluations and comparisons.
    I hope I can go and audition them this weekend, the shop is one hour by car from here...
    Also interesting is that in Germany they are almost twice as expensive as in UK. Do you think it would be cheaper to order from UK?
    I am all messed up with the choice. I would like to take home three or four pairs of speakers in the price range I can afford, and plug all of them to my amp using some switch, to audition properly and take the ones I like more. But I cannot find a shop where they let you do that, unless you want to spend around 2k euro...
    My aim is to get a set of speakers matching my amp and future dvd player (a Yamaha s540). My present speakers are not good enough, I just had two from my previous stereo set, and I extended to the 5.1... Now I know it was a mistake, although it was cheap at that moment...
    BTW, I know I said "I like the looks"... Well, I think the sound is more important than the looks, but today the speakers are part of the furniture, so I want them to look nice, and I guess I can get something as good in sound as any ugly speakers, but with good looks, and for the same price. Am I wrong?

Ok, after all these complaints, I just wanted to ask you opinions of Wharfedale Diamond, if you think they are good for the price, if they match my amp (I am concerned about the "brightness" of the amp, so the speakers should cure that), and if you have another suggestion. Up to now, I have in mind Teufel (but the ones good looking are much more expensive than any others), Nubert (which are not good looking, so I might forget about them), Magnat Vintage 120 (I like the looks, but in Germany many hifi fans are against Magnat... Others simply love it) and these Diamonds, which I discovered by chance.
    Thanks.

2. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we replaced our oldish Infinity Studio Monitor 120s last year with the Wharfedale Pacific Pi-40s (and a Pi-Centre and Pi-10s as rears) and haven't looked back ... running them off a pair of monoblocked rotels for front amplification and great overall presence and quality of soundfield ...

3. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Thanks, that gives me the idea that they are not bad... Any answer to my last paragraph? Any about buying in UK and get it delivered in Germany?

4. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    shipping a set of diamonds to Germany shouldn't be that bad I would not think, a minipallet is about £75 for 3-5 day service to Europe IIRC