1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted: Multi-region code for Alba DVD108

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TheBoingoBandit, Jul 29, 2002.

1. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've just bought one of the new £70 Alba DVD108 players from Argos, which is pretty damn decent for the price.

Has anyone worked out how to turn it into a multi-region machine yet?

Cheers in advance!

:)

2. Jasonp

Jasonp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read on other forums that the Alba DVD108 is multiregion out of the box. Have you tried a R1 (or any other region) disc yet? I am interested to know as I was about to recommend the player to a couple of mates who are keen. Could you also let me know what outputs are on the back (i.e. is there an optical or coaxial digital out?)

3. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

I haven't tried a R1disc yet as I didn't want to buy one in case they wouldn't play.

It has S-Video, RGB SCART and composite outputs and on the audio side, it has L-R phono, and coaxial and optical digital out.
    Pretty impressive for a £70 player!

4. Jasonp

Jasonp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds great to me.

Have a look at
    http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/forums/thread.asp?Forum=223&Thread=108554
    which might put your mind at rest about splashing out on a R1 title. One thing before you do (I'm sorry if I am telling you what you already know) but have you checked if the DVD player converts the R1 NTSC format to PAL or just puts out straight NTSC. If it puts out NTSC you just need to check that you TV will handle it (most modern ones do).

Thanks for the info on the digital out sockets. I will start to sing it's praises.

JP