wanted, idtv, sony?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by bockster, Nov 26, 2003.

1. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i've finished boring the folks in 'all in ones'. now its time to see if anyone here can help me choose a new 32" IDTV without a load of pic quality issues! i'm talking about you ph*****s! after trauling around shops, reviews, this forum, i'm being drawn down the sony path. like the look of kd-32dx50 and dx150 but s the dx150 woth £200 more? i must admit i'm struggling to see much difference in 100hz! but the set ups in the shops is wanting. is there anything else seperating these two? would consider some of the offerings from pany, tosh etc, pic quality most important. i only need nicam sound as all in one being activly saught. only need 1 rgb scart realy, for dvd. must come with stand, and no wood! i like the idea of collecting kit myself, does anyone recomend a web retailer who do collections, techtronics seem thereabouts. thanks for your time folks. ooooh! budget! approx £800. thanks again . bockster

2. Budville

Budville

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bockster

The main difference between the Sony DX50 and DX150 other than the DX150 being a DRC-MF set (which allows you to switch between 50Hz and 100Hz) is that the DX150 will allow you to watch an analogue programme whilst recording Digital. The DX50 does not allow you to do this. So if you think that feature is worth £200 more than go for the DX150!

I haven't had much experience on Panny or Tosh so can't really comment.

3. Time's Up

Time's Up

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'm going to go for the DX50 as well. Having looked at quite a few 100Hz sets I am not convinced that I prefer the picture. Sure they are superior for showing still images or blocks of colour, but their inability to track fast moving elements as well as a 50Hz set does make you wonder if it isn't technology for technology's sake. (Ducks for cover). I find that the halo effects and blocking are more annoying then the flicker free image and more precise picture are an advantage!

Do feel free to disagree, don't hold back now.....

4. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers budville, i don't record much telly but do like the idea of being able to swith off 100hz. it,s a good way to compare the technology in your own home, although an expensive way. has anyone come across any reviews for dx50? thanks also time's up, have you searched for best price yet? £700 at multizonedvd.com seems good. i think free del' too.

5. Time's Up

Time's Up

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bockster, the DX50 is just under £720 at Techtronics and seeing as I live nearby I'll probably go there!

Amazingly no-one has stuck up for 100Hz as being anything other than an expensive marketing ploy with the sole aim of separating mugs from their hard earned. Come on you lot, tell my I'm wrong.

6. Budville

Budville

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    100Hz is technically better than 50Hz but like you, I do prefer 50Hz. I think the reason's so may many people don't like 100Hz is because there eyes are used to the 50Hz system and they need a while to get used to 100Hz.

Both systems has there flaws. I guess it depends on what type of programmes you watch. If you watch loads of fast moving action like football, then 100Hz is not the way to go.

7. Time's Up

Time's Up

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my point exactly. Moving stuff appears to be better on a 50Hz machine, everything else being equal. I don't know about most people but I get bored when the stuff on the screen doesn't move! I suppose you get a better image on the screen when listening to the radio on Sky, NTL or Freeview.:rolleyes:

8. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nobody is putting up a fight for tosh/panny! be quick i think my green is going on the dx50 (stick with what-you-know technology) plus save best part of budget for sound system! small thought!.. sometimes you see another letter at end of product code, e.g. kd-32dx50(U) anyone know what this means? see you later bockster.

9. Time's Up

Time's Up

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's looking a bit "cut and dried" isn't it? Not a good word for 100Hz or Panasonic etc.

Sony it is then.

Does anyone know of somewhere that has the 32DX50 on display and only wants about £700 for it? I would like to buy it from my local branch of John Lewis (Nottingham current price about 900 quid) but the price match is with an in-stock, on display TV.

Bockster, have you noticed that Currys and Comet are both doing equivalents to the Sony at £699 plus a free DVD player? Comet are offering the Panasonic 32DT4 plus DVD and Currys a Philips with DVD. ( The Philips has built in surround sound or pro logic or something...)

10. Budville

Budville

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bockster

The (U) simply denotes it is a UK model. You may notice TNS.U after the model too. This just means it is a UK model but also supplied with a stand.

11. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was down currys yesterdayand saw there phillips 32" plus dvd offer,(dvd looks tasty), but then returned to these pages to search "dw6557"...........and you guessed it...............somebody shoot me if you see me going for a phillips! found only a mediocre report on panasonic, so, although i can't find much in way of reviews, it's still looking like sony at the mo. sorry time's up, i only really know mainstream sellers, and i don't see them putting a decent telly (tempting argument) on for £700. will keep an eye out though......................................................................................................so, how do you do those smiley head thingies then hmmm

12. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I would recommend a 50Hz Sony IDTV - mine is great

13. Time's Up

Time's Up

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went in to John Lewis in Nottingham on Saturday to make a definative decision. Looked at both the Panansonic and Sony 50Hz IDTVs. I prefered the Panasonic's image. The Mrs prefered the Panasonics looks. John Lewis wouldn't guarantee delivery before Christmas. They wanted £895. Same price as the Sony, but the Sony had a free DVD player.

I ended up ordering a Panasonic TX32DT4 with a free DVD player from Comet on Saturday evening. I should get it on Thursday. Whilst I had my Credit Cards out I also purchased a Panasonic Home Cinema system, a HTSC900 I think.

Total amount saved over JL £306. Enough to pay for a few repairs or take out breakdown insurance.

Just hope it all works and that whoever I give the free DVD player to at Christmas really appreciates it:p

14. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice one one, t u, it turns out choosing a nice new telly can can be a right... well... no swearing they said :rolleyes:
    . especially when you try and do the right thing and read reviews e.t.c.. anyway hope it's sweet on thursday,love to see what someone in same position as me makes of it when it's all enegised. also the sound, i too am thinking panasonic, but maybe less powerful scmt1. let us know what it's like with cd,s and if sub is active in stereo. ooh ang on, is this the wrong place? good luck and don't trip over the wires! bockster

15. Time's Up

Time's Up

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll keep you informed. I think it will be Sunday evening before I have worked out how the basics work. I'll do a full review sometime in 2005 when the kids have shown me how to do the technical stuff.:rolleyes:

16. Time's Up

Time's Up

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comet were as good as their word. The whole lot arrived in good condition at the time arranged.

TV + Stand + Home Theatre weighed in excess of 120kg!

Thoughts after about 15 mins of use:

TV - Image is good, no geometry or bleed issues. Plenty of adjustment of image characteristics to enable me to get it spot on when I have time. Sound is excellent for a basic Nicam set. Typical instability on static images, although not particularly bad, but this may be reduced after fiddling...
    However there is bit of a hum from the machine. This seemed to reduce after a while but if it stays like it is I'll not be impressed.

Home theatre system - This is gonna take a while to suss out. Seems great and sound, although lacking real weight to the bass is good with music. Reads JPEGs well and with a 5 disc changer currently holds about 650 songs on MP3! Time will be spent at the week end deciding on speaker positions.

Overall very pleased.....

However when playing DVDs I have the Ghost of the TV transmission behind the picture. How do you stop this?
    I'm going to get a good SCART this evening as the one I have came in a packet of Rice Crispies. Anything else I should do to improve affairs?

Thanks

Andy. :smoke:

17. davidmbell

davidmbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Leeds/Bradford (depends which side of the road I'm
    Ratings:
    +24
    HI there, I have the very same TV and I get Ghosting through on DVD.

I'm sure this isnt actually the way to fix it, but it works for me.

Put the TV on a "non tuned in" TV channel (ie channel 8 or something) so that the screen goes black, and then watch your DVD (turn on DVD or push TV/AV).

Out of interest, surely this shouldn't do this???

Cheers

David

18. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The interfearance is due to RGB from the TV digital tuner being sent out via Scart1.

Fix is RGB only scart or use an untuned analoge channel